Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2009, 13:45   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ3b View Post
The last Action of the humvees was in 2001-2002, After that they have stopped giving Hummvees to the Civilian, My brothers friend at US is one of the last owners of the Humvee,

regards
vinay Thomas
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,
That was exactly the point i wanted to put across.
The US Army mutilates the HMMWV's beyond repair and sells them as scrap.
Cheers
Old 10th January 2009, 13:52   #77
BHPian

Surplus HMMWV's that are sold and cannot be registered are the ones that were welded back, are are mainly used for movies. People still buy auctioned HMMWV's, but that they have to import from other countries using HMMWV's, not U.S.Army anymore.
The problem for the armored forces is that just anybody can buy one of these vehicles from the auction lot. If a terrorist wants to plan attacking a army base, all the physical requirements he has to fulfill is to get army fatigues and a auctioned vehicle to look like one. So the army is thinking of scraping the surplus idea.
Why the gypsy still sells to the civilians is out of my reasoning. No manufacture can sell the same colour of vehicles given to govt. to civilians too, and thats why the bolero was later painted off-white for civilians, and no-one can have that OG colour done either, but at the same time Maruti is not only selling those same vehicles, but the same colour too( white is not only used by police, but also army intelligence branch).
The gypsy is used most as officer carraiges only, or its used in higher area covered in snow, because its light weight helps there(most used near saichen have the matt-track snow tracks fitted on them), and since the MM550 does not have a turbo, it suffers. My brother is in the indian special forces, and he told me that they cannot think of any other vehicle to use, although there are other vehicles with better capability, and that it after cutting the rear frame and a few other things, it is probably the lightest vehicle they can find in india to para-drop.
Bikram
Old 10th January 2009, 14:13   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
Hi,
That was exactly the point i wanted to put across.
The US Army mutilates the HMMWV's beyond repair and sells them as scrap.
Cheers
The United States Army has changed its policy on this a couple of times. Stay tuned. Sometimes they have also recycled them. By that I mean they have been turned over to a company that guts them and replaces all the electricals and mechanicals including engine. The reason is that it is an expensive vehicle and rebuilding them was thought to be cost effective. The body, for example, is aluminum.

At any rate, you can still buy a civilian H1 which is not so different from its military brother. That is, if you are a tycoon.

HMMWV vs. HUMMER H1 | HUMMER H1 & H2 | AM General LLC - Mobility solutions for the 21st Century
Old 10th January 2009, 14:48   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
At any rate, you can still buy a civilian H1 which is not so different from its military brother. That is, if you are a tycoon.
Hey DD,
Lol, I am no tycoon by any stretch of imagination..
I have a rugged jeep to take me to 99% of the places the Hummer would at 1% of the price..
Now, before we get too OT, where were we on the Mahindra Thar??
Cheers..
Old 10th January 2009, 21:01   #80
Senior - BHPian

i would still prefer ex army M&M 550 built from scratch after disposal.

there is no end what you can do with this vehicle.....all you need is expert advice and $$$!

lets forget hummer and humvees....cause they are worthless and clumsy, thats why yank's SF use toyota double cabin pick ups in A-stan instead of humvees!

cheers:
Attached Thumbnails
Importing LHD M&M THAR into india!-marsoc05ck2.jpg  

Importing LHD M&M THAR into india!-08.jpg  

Importing LHD M&M THAR into india!-epol024hf.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 11th January 2009, 08:02   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Let's get back to the Thar topic. If MM is considering the Thar for the export markets, then I assume there is no licensing issues with Chrysler for using the CJ body shape. Then I don't see any reason, why they cannot launch a made to order limited edition for the Indian market.
Old 11th January 2009, 08:58   #82
Senior - BHPian

4x4addict

mahindra is very serious about its global image.

am general reached them to start lincenced production of humvee
(not hummer) but they declined ,because they have spend $ 10 million on axe till now & they want their own vehicle not someone elses linceced vehicle .

mahindra is working on civilian ver of axe with mahindra diesel engine + automatic, different ftont look bue chassis & suspension will be un changed.

i have above artical if you want i can post it.
Old 11th January 2009, 10:11   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
4x4addict

mahindra is very serious about its global image.

am general reached them to start lincenced production of humvee
(not hummer) but they declined ,because they have spend $ 10 million on axe till now & they want their own vehicle not someone elses linceced vehicle .

mahindra is working on civilian ver of axe with mahindra diesel engine + automatic, different ftont look bue chassis & suspension will be un changed.

i have above artical if you want i can post it.
i would be quite interested to read that article about civillian version of AXE to be released by M&M. i imagine the cost to be 10 lakh plus!

cheers:
Old 11th January 2009, 14:47   #84
BHPian

Some say it was TATA that was offered the deal from AM-general. Anyways, whoever it was, the vehicle was rejected by the army itself, its just too wide for the roads here, especially the border roads is assam and j&k, where the army would need them the most. Also,another obstacle is the desert in rajastan and the marshy land in punjab. I mean the sole reason why the indian side managed to capture more than 50% of the invading tanks in the 65-71 war, and too none of them with as much as a scratch, let alone an artillary hit, was that they got stuck in the paddy field in punjab and were abandoned by their crews. The clay mud here worked as glue for the tanks, and opperating a 4 wheeled vehicle is even more difficult(even tractors get stuck here).
As for the Axe, i really doubt if it can beat the MM550 in its game. Heres my point of veiw. The hummer has portal axles (which gives it clearance),with the independent suspension and with 37 inch tall tires. The Axe has no portal system, so the independent wishbones and A-arms would be hinged right where they are in a normal vehicle, and that too with just 33 inch tires. Therefore the MM550 with 7-50x16 mud and snow tires would still have a lot more ground clearance than what the Axe will ever have.
The sole purpose of the Axe is just the same as the HMMWV, and that is not to be a very capable off-roader, because the army doesnt neccessarily have to overcome obstacles, if its too big they just blast their way through it, instead they need a vehilce that can go around these obstacles, but have independent suspension so it can
1) mount weapon systems, and still be smooth(independent susp) to fire these weapons on the move.(something very difficult for a solid axle vehicle),
2) not neccassarily go off-road, but cross-country, but move along it fast enough, which is a very big factor while occupying territory.

If you take a close look at the BAJA competition vehicles and the terrain that they compete in, thats what the army needs and thats the kind of terrian they normally operate in, so thats what these vehicles are modelled after. But if you think its going to beat a solid axle vehicle, especially something like a Unimog,you might be very disappointed.
Bikram
Old 11th January 2009, 18:32   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus View Post
Some say it was TATA that was offered the deal from AM-general. Anyways, whoever it was, the vehicle was rejected by the army itself, its just too wide for the roads here, especially the border roads is assam and j&k, where the army would need them the most. Also,another obstacle is the desert in rajastan and the marshy land in punjab. I mean the sole reason why the indian side managed to capture more than 50% of the invading tanks in the 65-71 war, and too none of them with as much as a scratch, let alone an artillary hit, was that they got stuck in the paddy field in punjab and were abandoned by their crews. The clay mud here worked as glue for the tanks, and opperating a 4 wheeled vehicle is even more difficult(even tractors get stuck here).
As for the Axe, i really doubt if it can beat the MM550 in its game. Heres my point of veiw. The hummer has portal axles (which gives it clearance),with the independent suspension and with 37 inch tall tires. The Axe has no portal system, so the independent wishbones and A-arms would be hinged right where they are in a normal vehicle, and that too with just 33 inch tires. Therefore the MM550 with 7-50x16 mud and snow tires would still have a lot more ground clearance than what the Axe will ever have.
The sole purpose of the Axe is just the same as the HMMWV, and that is not to be a very capable off-roader, because the army doesnt neccessarily have to overcome obstacles, if its too big they just blast their way through it, instead they need a vehilce that can go around these obstacles, but have independent suspension so it can
1) mount weapon systems, and still be smooth(independent susp) to fire these weapons on the move.(something very difficult for a solid axle vehicle),
2) not neccassarily go off-road, but cross-country, but move along it fast enough, which is a very big factor while occupying territory.

If you take a close look at the BAJA competition vehicles and the terrain that they compete in, thats what the army needs and thats the kind of terrian they normally operate in, so thats what these vehicles are modelled after. But if you think its going to beat a solid axle vehicle, especially something like a Unimog,you might be very disappointed.
Bikram
a well written post by you bikram. thats why the AXE is israeli vehicle used and abused by israelis, tried and tested!

here are some photos of israeli AXEs.
Attached Thumbnails
Importing LHD M&M THAR into india!-868.jpg  

Importing LHD M&M THAR into india!-9790952.jpg  

Importing LHD M&M THAR into india!-axe3_wh.jpg  

Importing LHD M&M THAR into india!-idf.jpg  

Importing LHD M&M THAR into india!-spikeonlsv1xq2.jpg  

Old 11th January 2009, 21:31   #86
BHPian

The first is an Axe, the 2,3, and 4th vehicles use a solid axle, and i know nothing about the 5th. All of them look pretty similar though. Looks like quite a few companies are fulfilling the requirement for the standend military vehicle for israel
Old 11th January 2009, 22:04   #87
Senior - BHPian

here is the scanned article.

enjoy.

Importing LHD M&M THAR into india!-axe-1.jpg

Old 12th January 2009, 00:20   #88
Senior - BHPian

why cant "Israel" cant be named in the article, which says the petrol version being developed for a foreign country?

where as you can just google the vehicle!

cheers:
Old 12th January 2009, 07:09   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
here is the scanned article.

enjoy.

Thanks Jeepster, so this is the year when the Axe will be launched. Any body is there who is planning to buy this vehicle??

Does any body know if what is the tyre size in Axe, they seems me 265x70 R 15, is it correct.
Old 12th January 2009, 12:36   #90
BHPian

Note from Mod : The Thar's full test & review has been uploaded at this link. Thread closed. Please continue the discussion over on the review thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Does any body know if what is the tyre size in Axe, they seems me 265x70 R 15, is it correct.

265x70r15 is a 30inch tall tire. The Axe has larger tires, 33inches in height

Last edited by GTO : 5th January 2011 at 18:51. Reason: Adding link to Thar review
Closed Thread

Most Viewed