Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2017, 20:51   #271
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I find the 215's excellent when the vehicle is moving.
Steering is very tough when the vehicle is stationary. Like when youre trying to park or get out of a tight parking spot.
So I would imagine that 235's and 255's will only create increased effort to steer.
Old 2nd January 2017, 21:32   #272
BHPian

Thank you for the inputs.
I was worried about the wheel size issue as it would have been a costly replacement for the perfectly good stock rims.
Now that the issue is ruled out I'll check the neck valves if it deflates again.
Old 3rd January 2017, 05:43   #273
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul258 View Post
Hi, I'm getting frequent pressure drops from my tyre. I'm running Bridgestone Dueler A/T 215/75/15 tubeless on stock gypsy rims. Last month my rear right tyre lost pressure and today I noticed rear left has also fallen to 10psi. Does this means that I have to go for wider rims? I believe the stock rims are 6.5. Anybody with similar experience??
I have had nails in my tubeless tyres that have taken a whole week to even deflate the tyre to the point where it is noticeable to the eye. This is called a slow leak and they are hard to find. I have also had tubeless puncture repairs where the guy has removed the nail and inserted the plug only to have the plug slowly leak. Recently I had a carpenter's small finishing nail stuck in my sidewall for a hard to see and find slow leak. The usual water on tread trick did not bubble, of course.

The Goddess of Punctures (An obscure Himachal mountain deity) has not been kind to me even though I have sacrificed three stoats, 2 goats and an old coat to her. I suspect its a female envy thing. She keeps nailing me.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 3rd January 2017 at 05:53.
DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 06:30   #274
BANNED

Whats the tyre pressure you would recommend? Im using 27 PSI. Would it be more sensible to use 30PSI?

On the Yeti I use 32 PSI all around.

The Gypsy is inherently lighter and there is nothing in it except some basic lightweight odds and ends. It is likely to remain unladen most of the time. Hence I thought a lower tyre pressure would be better.

Would love inputs from the experts on this!
Old 3rd January 2017, 12:14   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm getting frequent pressure drops from my tyre. I'm running Bridgestone Dueler A/T 215/75/15 tubeless on stock gypsy rims. Last month my rear right tyre lost pressure and today I noticed rear left has also fallen to 10psi. Does this means that I have to go for wider rims? I believe the stock rims are 6.5. Anybody with similar experience??
Raul - I have Yokohama 215/75/15 A/Ts on stock rims for my Gypsy King, fitted about 3 months back and no issues so far. However, I have been facing a minor drop in pressure over the last month or so - say about 1 PSI per week - only on one of the tyres. On a quick check, the tyre guy attributed this to a loose valve pin and has asked me to observe after tightening the same. It is being monitored closely and will get to know the result by this weekend. If the issue persists, next step would be to check for micro-punctures followed by valve replacement. However, in your case the pressure drop seems to be significant. Few queries:

a) Is this being faced on 2 of the 4 tyres, or all?
b) What is the rate of pressure drop (PSI per week)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Whats the tyre pressure you would recommend?
Shankar - I have been maintaining 30 PSI all-round over the last 3 months and no complains so far. Some folks on the forum swear by lower pressure on the Gypsy - in the range of 20-25 PSI - but I find it too low for my comfort. One point to note is that my tyres are running on Nitrogen, filled up when I got them in lieu of the OE ones. Am planning to slowly move to normal air as I do not see any significant advantage of N2 in case of the Gypsy. I use air for both of my other cars.

Last edited by cool_dube : 3rd January 2017 at 12:16.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 13:35   #276
BHPian

@ Cool_dube
a) Is this being faced on 2 of the 4 tyres, or all? :
Nope I'm only having pressure drops in the rear wheels. Im also inclined to have an expert inspect my valve pins. Hopefully it will get sorted out after a replacement.

b) What is the rate of pressure drop (PSI per week)?
Hmm.. I have not checked that as this came to my notice recently. The rear right tyre came down to 10psi in about 45 days so a bit over 3psi per week..
Old 3rd January 2017, 15:14   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm also inclined to have an expert inspect my valve pins. Hopefully it will get sorted out after a replacement.
Agreed. Have the following checks done in the order of priority - minor puncture, valve pin, valve replacement

Quote:
The rear right tyre came down to 10psi in about 45 days so a bit over 3psi per week..
3 PSI per week is definitely on the higher side... more likely a case of puncture as opposed to valve issues. But you never know - get it checked nevertheless.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 19:49   #278
BANNED

Khan_Sultan - where can I go get an OBD scan for this old 2002 Gypsy? And where can I get the ECU 'engine remap' done for better performance?
I want to set the timing mechanism as per the best recommended setting. Because the engine is running 'rough'...

Help please?
Old 6th January 2017, 11:14   #279
BANNED

Re: Gypsy King - Carb or MPFi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharybold View Post
Guys,i own a 97 gypsy king mg413 carb. I work in an NGO along with the forest dept. The problem now is, the 4wd shifter is not engaging to 2H., it can either be shifted to 4L or 4H..if the shifter is positioned to 2H, vehicle doesn't move. But the fact is, my front wheels are not spinning atall..its actually in 2WD, i tested it in slush and mud terrains. What can be wrong? A help will be much appreciated.
Why don't you take it to a good garage and check it out?

Green Cars Koramangala - Khan is the Chief Mech
Sardar's Sri Raksha Motors in Sarjapur Road - Sardar is the Owner and Chief Mech
Car Mechs in HSR/ Koramangala - Prabhakar is the man to meet

Any of these three will do a good job of diagnosis for you...
Old 6th January 2017, 11:38   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Khan_Sultan - where can I go get an OBD scan for this old 2002 Gypsy?
You mean those ELM-Bluetooth type scan devices? If yes, then maybe from online portals. Buy one which supports BS-II specs as 2002 gypsy was BS-II (IIRC).

If you want just a one time scan, then best option is to take it to a MUL garage and they will do a scan. Suraksha is what I would recommend as I had done scans done there in past. Or ask Sardar -- he might be able to suggest a place.

Quote:
And where can I get the ECU 'engine remap' done for better performance?
Well, there are mixed reports on this. Try at your own risk and appetite. Haven't gone down this path but know few friends who had got a RD piggy back ECU installed. Maybe talk to them? They are in Jakkasandra. For "remap", talk to that garage, Code6, in Kasavanahalli. See if they will do a remap.

Quote:
I want to set the timing mechanism as per the best recommended setting. Because the engine is running 'rough'...
This is something that Sardar should be able to do. He did mine few times when he was in Suraksha. (Sardar was the one @ Suraksha who was the Gypsy expert and all stuff like locker install, t-case crawlers,engine work etc were done by him on my Gypsy)
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 13:00   #281
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
You mean those ELM-Bluetooth type scan devices? If yes, then maybe from online portals. Buy one which supports BS-II specs as 2002 gypsy was BS-II (IIRC).

If you want just a one time scan, then best option is to take it to a MUL garage and they will do a scan. Suraksha is what I would recommend as I had done scans done there in past. Or ask Sardar -- he might be able to suggest a place.

Well, there are mixed reports on this. Try at your own risk and appetite. Haven't gone down this path but know few friends who had got a RD piggy back ECU installed. Maybe talk to them? They are in Jakkasandra. For "remap", talk to that garage, Code6, in Kasavanahalli. See if they will do a remap.

This is something that Sardar should be able to do. He did mine few times when he was in Suraksha. (Sardar was the one @ Suraksha who was the Gypsy expert and all stuff like locker install, t-case crawlers,engine work etc were done by him on my Gypsy)

Thank you for your inputs!
Shall explore more and get after these things....
Whats your opinion of Car Mechs?
And Green Cars?
Old 6th January 2017, 13:21   #282
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
MUL uses a different protocol, so the ELM type of devices wont work. Best is to goto a company workshop.

Quote:
Haven't gone down this path but know few friends who had got a RD piggy back ECU installed. Maybe talk to them? They are in Jakkasandra. For "remap", talk to that garage, Code6, in Kasavanahalli. See if they will do a remap.
RD piggyback, don't think Code 6 has map for gypsies.

Quote:
It is a simple thing to do, you can DIY if you have access to timing light gun. Take it to a good authorised maruti dealer ask them to set the timing as well as do the tappet adjustment (ensure it is done when engine is cold). Do a oil flush and use some injector cleaner for the next tank fill and see if things are fine. Replace plugs and filters if they are old. This should fix rough engine.

If not you might want to clean the throttle body manually, keep it for last since very few know how to set it back proper.

Quote:
Thank you for your inputs!
Shall explore more and get after these things....
Whats your opinion of Car Mechs?
And Green Cars?
Suraksha or Sardar all the way since they have experience and knows what needs to be done to a gypsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharybold View Post
I work in an NGO along with the forest dept. The problem now is, the 4wd shifter is not engaging to 2H., it can either be shifted to 4L or 4H..if the shifter is positioned to 2H, vehicle doesn't move.
Sometimes getting under the vehicle and pushing back the linkages would help, if not you have to open the TC and see if there are any worn out parts. Best is to take it to a garage, apart from what shankar has listed you can check Surakshaa bommanahalli also.

Edit: Hope you have tried moving back and forth couple of times in 4H, then while in neutral and clutch pressed shift back into 2W?

Edit 2: realized this is an old post that we replied to lol

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th January 2017 at 18:17. Reason: Back to back.
Old 7th January 2017, 13:13   #283
BANNED

So I went across to Surakshaa and met Fayaz who plugged in a scanner and checked the general readings.

He pronounced the vehicle to be fine.
There were apparently two pending air intake related issues on the system which had to be cleared off on the system which he did.

He did absolutely no adjustments at all. He said the vehicle is behaving perfectly
ok for its age.

Then I went and got a simple central armrest cum storage unit installed between the seats. Very comfy for a tall chap like me I can tell you.

It wasnt a straight fit. We had to drill 4 small holes in the central hump and bolt the unit on. For this we fabricated 4 nos simple L shaped clamps put of some pretty thick (4mm) waste aluminium strips and then bolted them on with good quality alloy lug bolts.

There was no danger to any wires or stuff underneath.

Its been fitted now and is really nice to use when driving. This is a cheap aftermarket piece which does the job. It cost around 700 Rs from Paytm and for which I paid using their generous cashback amounts recently received.

Nowhere near the quality of the OEM one in the Yeti but this is really very functional and useful.
Pics below.
Definitely recommended for the Gypsy!
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1483774797.172711.jpg
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1483774808.856007.jpg
Old 9th January 2017, 16:12   #284
Senior - BHPian

Ironman leaf-springs for the Gypsy

Has anyone tried Ironman leaf-springs on the Gypsy? If so, any feedback in terms of rigidity and ride quality (compared to OE ones) would be highly appreciated.

Cheers...
Old 9th January 2017, 17:46   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Has anyone tried Ironman leaf-springs on the Gypsy? If so, any feedback in terms of rigidity and ride quality (compared to OE ones) would be highly appreciated.

Cheers...
Have tried Ironman Shock Absorbers on stock leaves. One word - Brilliant!

More than 50% reduction in thuds. Your spine will thank you.

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks