Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2017, 16:46   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
You mean to say inspite of disconnecting the connector light remains On? If so you would need to check the wiring, somewhere power is leaking into the circuit and causing light to glow.
No no.. The light goes away when the connector is uncoupled. What I meant to say was, I disconnected the connector, sprayed WD40 and reconnected it, but that didn't solve the issue.

Also, I often face trouble in moving between 4L and 2H - the lever refuses to move.
Old 3rd May 2017, 17:02   #377
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
No no.. The light goes away when the connector is uncoupled.
====
Also, I often face trouble in moving between 4L and 2H - the lever refuses to move.
Then it is either the switch or the activation part of the switch is stuck, Or transfer case is stuck in 4 wheel high. But then you should feel the vehicle steering loading up while turning at low speeds.

Start by replacing the switch.

As far as tight shifter lever, if moving the vehicle front and back a little and de-clutching does not help in moving the lever. Then you can try:

1- a complete drain and refill of oil, lube the shifter area, and try to use the shifter atleast once a week and see if it improves.

2- If it is still tight, then you need to overhaul the box, which ideally is to be avoided unless absolutely essential. Bearing etc would need change once you open and it is expensive for gypsy transfer case. And unless it is done by good mechs, lot of other issues including transmission hum starts.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 17:08   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

Then it is either the switch or the activation part of the switch is stuck, Or transfer case is stuck in 4 wheel high. But then you should feel the vehicle steering loading up while turning at low speeds.

Start by replacing the switch.

As far as tight shifter lever, if moving the vehicle front and back a little and de-clutching does not help in moving the lever. Then you can try:

1- a complete drain and refill of oil, lube the shifter area, and try to use the shifter atleast once a week and see if it improves.

2- If it is still tight, then you need to overhaul the box, which ideally is to be avoided unless absolutely essential. Bearing etc would need change once you open and it is expensive for gypsy transfer case. And unless it is done by good mechs, lot of other issues including transmission hum starts.
I have manual locking hubs. Never crossed my mind that I might indeed be driving in 4H. Damn.

I'll go step-by-step as per your suggestion.
Thank you, Jaggu.
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 17:26   #379
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have manual locking hubs. Never crossed my mind that I might indeed be driving in 4H. Damn.
If it is use the locked hub position and move the vehicle straight to front and back and then see if it shifts to 2 Wheel drive. A swift and firm action of the lever usually gets it moving. Worst case take it a good MASS (after disengaging hubs ), they will know how to get it moving temporally.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 19:24   #380
BHPian

Quote:
No no.. The light goes away when the connector is uncoupled. What I meant to say was, I disconnected the connector, sprayed WD40 and reconnected it, but that didn't solve the issue.

You may also need to look at the "O" ring below the 2/4W shifter. This causes problems when worn our, suggest replacing it with a silicon O ring, costs about INR120/-
rmonie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 10:24   #381
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
The 4WD light stays on, despite the car being in 2H. What could the issue be? I've disconnected and reconnected the TC case sensor, but to no avail.

My dear 15 year old 'Senior' Gypsy's 4WD light must have stopped working aeons ago.

But happily the 4H, 4L, 2H selector works beautifully. Coupled with the original AISIN lockable hubs that were an after market fitment by the previous owner, the 4WD on this Gypsy works perfectly well.

Driving the vehicle with one passenger and otherwise unladen up Nandi hills or similar reasonably steep inclines the vehicle goes up quite happily in 2H and 2nd gear with the engine not straining too much. On very steep hairpin bends one has to use 1st and as per Nagaraj the Gypsy expert garage owner, one can, at these times, engage 4H even on tarmac or broken tarmac/ hard surfaces. No harm will come to the Gypsy transfer case he says, if used in circumstances like these for medium distances.
Owing to the Gypsy not having much inherent torque and making only 80BHP, in circumstances where the incline is extremely steep and one does not have too much momentum, yes even in 1st gear it does wheeze and struggle a bit especially when in 2H. It might perform better if it were a soft top owing to the lighter weight it carries rather than with the hardtop.

So far, so good with the Gypsy overall.
Old 7th May 2017, 14:13   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
On very steep hairpin bends one has to use 1st and as per Nagaraj the Gypsy expert garage owner, one can, at these times, engage 4H even on tarmac or broken tarmac/ hard surfaces. No harm will come to the Gypsy transfer case he says, if used in circumstances like these for medium distances.
Maybe, but I don't see any point in doing this; being a rear wheel drive the car does not suffer the problem that all front wheel drive cars on steep inclines do, of wheel spin even on tarmac, induced by weight transference to the rear due a combination of two factors - the incline and forward acceleration - that can make it difficult to climb steep inclines at low speeds. The rear wheels, when driven, do not lose grip in these circumstances, on tarmac and nothing is gained by shifting some of the engine torque to the front wheels.

What can help at these times is 4L where more torque is available at low road speeds, but this can damage the drive train for extended use on hair pin bend steep climbs on tarmac. But I don't know of a single car that offers what would be very useful in such cases: 2L. Low range seems to always come with centre differential locked, effectively 4wd, in more sophisticated cars, as far as I know.

Last edited by Sawyer : 7th May 2017 at 14:15.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 16:45   #383
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Maybe, but I don't see any point in doing this; being a rear wheel drive the car does not suffer the problem that all front wheel drive cars on steep inclines do, of wheel spin even on tarmac, induced by weight transference to the rear due a combination of two factors - the incline and forward acceleration - that can make it difficult to climb steep inclines at low speeds. The rear wheels, when driven, do not lose grip in these circumstances, on tarmac and nothing is gained by shifting some of the engine torque to the front wheels.

What can help at these times is 4L where more torque is available at low road speeds, but this can damage the drive train for extended use on hair pin bend steep climbs on tarmac. But I don't know of a single car that offers what would be very useful in such cases: 2L. Low range seems to always come with centre differential locked, effectively 4wd, in more sophisticated cars, as far as I know.
My Yeti, with its inherent torque, power and computer controlled 4WD/ AWD goes like a breeze up most hills and inclines. It just transfers power to whichever wheels need power the most and bites into the surface and propels the vehicle forward!

Up Nandi hills, on the last very steep incline, the Gypsy manages in 1st gear but it does put a lot of pressure on the drive train and gear box - I can feel it!
Hence, next time, I am going to click it into 4H and go up that incline to see how it is.

However, now, that last steep incline is no longer loose surfaced. It has been tarmac-ed.

Long back (14 years ago or so) I used to ascend and descend a steep 45 degree incline near HSR layout, going into a lake bed/ swamp in my Gypsy 970CC, in 4WD H and sometimes L. Superb!

In Ooty, I ve ascended and descended some seriously steep rutted tracks off the road, going up to some places which were sacred to the Toda community (One of India's Aboriginal peoples) and in the Gypsy 970CC, I had to use 4WD L. No other way. Even in the perfectly dry summers.

The Gypsy King of course with its 1.3 L engine is definitely better. But still, it does need the use of 4WD L or H in selective circumstances as outlined above as per my own experience. (for example getting in and out of a ploughed, muddy field, even in dry conditions, because of the extremely loose soil.)
Old 7th May 2017, 17:12   #384
Senior - BHPian

Loose soil is a different ball game - even if it is completely dry soil. There it is better to have the same torque distributed over more driven wheels to reduce application of wheel spinning torque on any one wheel and provide drive to all while doing so. And any wheel/tyre will be able to spin on loose soil before any transmission wind up happens. This is that 4WD, H or L, is meant to tackle. With a locked centre differential, where one exists. In Gypsy it doesn't, so this bit isn't relevant.

I haven't driven the Yeti, but there was no way to climb out of some hairpin inclines on good tarmac that I know, from standstill, on my Pajero SFX without revving the engine and slipping the clutch. I could not use 4L because that involved locking the centre diff as well and I preferred slipping the clutch to having a locked diff on tarmac. Those times, 2L without locking the center differential would have been very useful. I don't know what mode the auto everything cars would have handled this because the concept of clutch slippage is very different there. Admittedly, these are rare situations.
Old 7th May 2017, 20:06   #385
Senior - BHPian

Just as a stupid thought, will having manual locking hubs on the front axle be a circumvent to the lack of '2L' that you mentioned?

Leave the front hubs in "Free", slot into 4L; it will act as 2L, no?

Of course, I'm a noob in these and could be hopelessly wrong. 😬
Old 7th May 2017, 20:42   #386
Senior - BHPian

It isn't stupid; something I missed realising, as far as I can think clearly about this subject this late in my day! What you suggest should work very well except perhaps the need to again come to a complete halt before shifting out of low, but that is a minor thing.
Old 12th May 2017, 15:02   #387
BANNED

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
so. And any wheel/tyre will be able to spin on loose soil before any transmission wind up happens. This is that 4WD, H or L, is meant to tackle. With a locked centre differential, where one exists. In Gypsy it doesn't, so this bit isn't relevant.

Didn't understand your point. What 'isn't' relevant?
On another note the last couple of days heavy rain in Bangalore saw my Gypsy safe from water ingress through that bonnet vent, which of course is now covered.
Sadly however, the left side front passenger door which is defective, did allow water in even when the vehicle was parked with all windows rolled up!
And water was sitting inside the door at the bottom. Took time to dry out!
Most irritating.
Must replace that door asap!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 12th May 2017 at 15:05.
Old 12th May 2017, 15:08   #388
Senior - BHPian

Locking the centre diff as opposed to leaving it open; locking one would be needed for 4WD to be effective on loose surfaces, while leaving it open would allow 4WD to be used on tarmac without drive train damage. The Gypsy doesn't have one, which means it is in effect the same as having one that is permanently in locked position, and the point of deciding on how to leave the centre diff - locked v open - is irrelevant.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 07:02   #389
Senior - BHPian

Don't let water sit in the wells, especially under the mats. The bungs are there to let this water drain out quickly, so using them is a good idea.
Old 13th May 2017, 08:38   #390
BANNED

Quote:
Don't let water sit in the wells, especially under the mats. The bungs are there to let this water drain out quickly, so using them is a good idea.
Yes. I am careful about this aspect for sure.
The thing is that the left side door is old and out of order.
Water tends to leak through the glass rubber beading on the window sill.
And somehow it lurks inside the door, possibly because the drainage is also clogged. Im taking it today to drill a few holes as may be necessary, under the door sill bottom to allow for water drainage.
The rest of the vehicle is perfect - no water ingress at all, except when driving with the windows down.
I am anyway going to change this left side door - either to a brand new one OR source one from the scrap dealers and paint and fit it on.
This last step will bring the vehicle back to "near-new" and I hope to enjoy it for some time to come! The engine and other parts are perfect. It is so silent at idling so as to make one wonder at times whether the engine is actually on or not!
The Gypsy has really benefited from the TLC (and money) poured on to it these last 5 months I ve had it. But I have no regrets because I am enjoying every moment with it.

Most Viewed