Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2018, 06:41   #481
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
Does your vehicle also have boosted brakes?
I don't think it comes with a brake booster. That only came with the launch of the MPFI king.

I know a lot of parts are interchangeable with older Maruti's, but haven't explored what will work with the 410 as yet.
Old 10th November 2018, 07:05   #482
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
I don't think it comes with a brake booster. That only came with the launch of the MPFI king.

I know a lot of parts are interchangeable with older Maruti's, but haven't explored what will work with the 410 as yet.
Brake Boosters came only with the Gypsy King MPFI because it had higher power - 82BHP vs 65 in the old carb versions.
Old 10th November 2018, 12:22   #483
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Your post got me to move my backside and start the poor thing after a week, so thanks for the push.

The tool box to the right is a something that all the family Gypsy's had made. I think the rest of the engine compartment is stock, except for the headlights that are running on 90/100 bulbs.

P.S: The washer reservoir was opened by me for a top up.

Your gypsy has a few modifications, the air filter is horizontally mounted instead of the longitudinally mounted in a stock MG410, the brake booster is also not stock for a MG410. But 45hp is driving a AC and a brake booster.

Your MG410 should also have a front and rear shaft parking brakes.
Old 12th November 2018, 21:21   #484
BHPian

Hello guys, what's the fair price for a 2008 model gypsy. I am getting a used gypsy HT for 2.5L at a local dealer. The car is in mint condition and has clocked 55k kms. Aftermarket AC has been fitted which works fine. Is it a good price?
Old 13th November 2018, 00:35   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsi View Post
Hello guys, what's the fair price for a 2008 model gypsy. I am getting a used gypsy HT for 2.5L at a local dealer. The car is in mint condition and has clocked 55k kms. Aftermarket AC has been fitted which works fine. Is it a good price?
That's a fair price for a 2008 HT Gypsy with AC. Is it ex Army or a "First Owner"? Just do your usual checks with your trusted mechanic and of course, check all the paperwork. Make sure there are no heating issues with the AC on in traffic. I have been looking for a good Gypsy for a while now but never saw anything below 3.25L and that too without AC and HT. Old ex Army ones are being quoted at 3.3 to 3.5L. That too in pathetic condition.
Best of luck.
Old 13th November 2018, 11:50   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
That's a fair price for a 2008 HT Gypsy with AC. Is it ex Army or a "First Owner"? ....
It is an auctioned vehicle but the dealer is saying that it belonged to some local government office with a daily drive of 5-10 kms, that is why the meter reads only 55k. The condition seems fine for a 10 year old car. HT is company fitted.

Btw, is there a way to check odometer tampering?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 20th November 2018 at 12:58. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 14th November 2018, 02:47   #487
BHPian

Quote:
It is an auctioned vehicle but the dealer is saying that it belonged to some local government office with a daily drive of 5-10 kms, that is why the meter reads only 55k. The condition seems fine for a 10 year old car. HT is company fitted.

Btw, is there a way to check odometer tampering?
Yes. If the numbers on the odometer are not perfectly in line horizontally, then there is a chance that it has been tampered with. Check the wear on the ABC pedals. That will also give you an idea though after 10 years and 55K Kms it will be hard to tell. It is also fairly easy and not too expensive to change the whole speedometer unit, so, again, hard to tell.
If the Gypsy already has a JK number (normal civilian number) then, maybe the dealer's story you mentioned above is true.
Please do carry out your due diligence prior to buying. Scrutinize the RC Book. Very often 1300 cc MPFI Gypsies are mistakenly listed as 970cc which could be a problem during transfer. Check engine and chassis numbers.
All the best and do post some pics after the purchase.
Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 22:22   #488
BHPian

Quote:
......Please do carry out your due diligence prior to buying. Scrutinize the RC Book. Very often 1300 cc MPFI Gypsies are mistakenly listed as 970cc which could be a problem during transfer. Check engine and chassis numbers.....
Thanks a lot Suzuki san. I have managed to bring down the price to 2.3L (+3% agent commission).. I am planning to finalize the deal this Sunday.

However, there are a few bits I need some clarification about:

1- The car is registered in Chandigarh and the dealer is saying that it can only be transferred to someone with a Chandigarh ID only. In my case (with non-Chandigarh ID), he is ready to provide NOC. I am very skeptic what this NOC refers to and also regarding its validity.

2- As per my knowledge the auctioned vehicles have different years of manufacture and registration. The dealer says that the car is 2008 manufactured. And as I have checked online on parivahan, the car has been registered in Mar 2018. However, the fitness is valid upto Mar 2023 only (and not Mar 2033, 15 years from registration date). Am I missing a point?. Do the government official vehicles, apart from army, also require re-registration after being auctioned?

3- I have not test driven the vehicle. Anything else apart from the heating issue that I need to specifically check in a gypsy?

Thanks

Last edited by khan_sultan : 20th November 2018 at 12:59. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 15th November 2018, 13:37   #489
BHPian

Quote:
......However, there are a few bits I need some clarification about:......
Hi Arsi,

You are absolutely right. If the car was registered in March 2018 it should be valid for 15 years - till March 2033 NOT 2023.
I am not 100% sure about Govt. official vehicles requiring re-registration after auction. Maybe some one else can advise?
If you are a resident of JK and the Gypsy is a CH registration, then the dealer is correct. It cannot be transferred to your name unless you have a CH address. He should provide you with an NOC from CH (in your name) so you can re-register the car in JK. However, please note that re-registration in your state could cost you at least 30 to 35K and you will get a new JK number. In Bombay & Goa this process costs 40K and takes 3 months. Alternatively, you could take a chance and drive on the CH plates but the vehicle will not be in your name. You could get hassled by the cops in JK for out of state car and car not in your name. Personally, I would not buy an out of state car. Just too much hassle. There is talk of the MV Act being amended so re-registration will not be necessary but when that will happen is anyone's guess.

One major point to check on a Gypsy is if the differential tubes are bent. This is likely if the vehicle has been used for off roading. If you can get the car to an M.A.S.S. then check the engine compression and suspension as well.

Regards,
SS

Last edited by khan_sultan : 20th November 2018 at 12:59. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 01:21   #490
BHPian

Quote:
......One major point to check on a Gypsy is if the differential tubes are bent. This is likely if the vehicle has been used for off roading. If you can get the car to an M.A.S.S. then check the engine compression and suspension as well....
I checked the car thoroughly using my exhaustive checklist
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...ml#post4497998 (ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India).

The car's chassis is in immaculate condition. No dents. No signs of accident. No major repairs. No signs of rusting. In fact, the underbody is too clean for a car of this age. I don't think it has ever been taken for a serious off-road. However, a few issues that I noted were:

1- The car vibrates a lot after crossing 60kmph. The 4wd lever just goes berserk. Now, I am not sure whether this is a problem with all the gypsies or this one. In fast, MASS people also suggested changing the front bearings for reduced vibrations. Gypsy guys can help me out in this.

2- The shifting of 2H from 4H is sometimes impossible. The gear refuse to budge. So, I found a work-around to this problem. I began shifting to 2H while the car was at 20-30 kmph. Is this the wrong way? Does this hardening of the 4wd lever also suggest that 4wd has been barely used?

3- Odo and speedo were not working at first but MASS guys rectified it. So, yes, maximum chances of tampering.

Regarding the fitness, I think since this was not an army vehicle (btw, it has been saved by the name of I.G.P at MASS), it wouldn't have required re-registration in 2018, only transfer of RC. Thus, fitness is from 2008. The deal is almost final sans a few documents here and there. I am already feeling the breeze of being a proud gypsy owner.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 20th November 2018 at 13:00. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 20th November 2018, 03:01   #491
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Hi
I ve put in some comments on your post to help answer a couple of things as per my experience.

Quote:
I checked the car thoroughly using my exhaustive checklist
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...ml#post4497998 (ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India).

1- The car vibrates a lot after crossing 60kmph. The 4wd lever just goes berserk. Now, I am not sure whether this is a problem with all the gypsies or this one. In fast, MASS people also suggested changing the front bearings for reduced vibrations. Gypsy guys can help me out in this.

@ARSI: Transmission Rods, front and rear are worth checking.
2- The shifting of 2H from 4H is sometimes impossible. The gear refuse to budge. So, I found a work-around to this problem. I began shifting to 2H while the car was at 20-30 kmph. Is this the wrong way? Does this hardening of the 4wd lever also suggest that 4wd has been barely used?

@ARSI: Inside the 4WD lever selector’s rubber boot, where it connects to the 4WD gearbox/ transmission, there is a small silicone/ rubber bush which might have worn off or missing. This usually causes a lot of pain but is a minor fix. Open the four screws on the floor mounting, remove the rubber boot and the selector rod and check.

3- Odo and speedo were not working at first but MASS guys rectified it. So, yes, maximum chances of tampering.
@ARSI: The Speedo Worm Gear which contains the speed sensors etc might have died. Needs changing. Small part. A bit irritating to source as a spare part though.

Regarding the fitness, I think since this was not an army vehicle (btw, it has been saved by the name of I.G.P at MASS), it wouldn't have required re-registration in 2018, only transfer of RC. Thus, fitness is from 2008. The deal is almost final sans a few documents here and there. I am already feeling the breeze of being a proud gypsy owner.

@ARSI: About it not being ex Army. Dont count your chickens just yet. Look for those tell tale holes where the pilot lamps would have been mounted. Also, does the Gypsy have the inner bracket inside the hood, where the Jack used to be fixed? All these re conditioned Gypsys look lovely. But dont judge books by their covers. I am preaching to you, but I ve been taken in nicely on my old white Gypsy in 1997 and again in 2016 and again in 2018 so I’m quite a trusting dumbo in this matter myself...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 10:45   #492
BHPian

Quote:

1. This should not happen. Especially the 4WD lever vibrating. I have never heard of this issue. Something is wrong. Refer to the "fix" by Shankar Balan. What do the MASS guys say?

2. Shifting from 4H to 2H while the car is at 20-30 Kmph is NOT a good idea. The "Gypsy" does NOT have the "Shift-on-the-Fly" feature. If I remember right, as per the handbook, shifting must be done while the car is stationary and on a level platform. You could cause damage if you try to change to 4WD while on the move. However, experts please comment. I may be wrong here.
Regards,
SS

Last edited by khan_sultan : 20th November 2018 at 13:01. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 20th November 2018, 12:24   #493
BHPian

Quote:
...2- The shifting of 2H from 4H is sometimes impossible. The gear refuse to budge. So, I found a work-around to this problem. I began shifting to 2H while the car was at 20-30 kmph. Is this the wrong way? Does this hardening of the 4wd lever also suggest that 4wd has been barely used?

Hsi- You have a defective Transfer case. The Transfer gearbox would have been worn out. Best bet is to buy a good used one which will cost of 15-20k in a used market. Since its an auction vehicle, guess the TC has been used well or its been never used. Both which constitsies that all the bearings in the TC is beyond repair and needs replacements. Instead of replacing the bearings and the its a time consuming affair given that all the bearings are available off the shelves immediately. Changing the TC is your best option.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 20th November 2018 at 13:01. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 20th November 2018, 12:25   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

@ARSI: Transmission Rods, front and rear are worth checking. ...
MASS guys did the inspection visually and tried to rotate the trasmission rods. However, they didn't point out any issue.

Speedo and odo were corrected right there.

No pilot lamp holes were there. However, three holes were there on the front part of the roof in the centre where the siren/ red light (laal batti) might have been. And I found two more holes in the middle of the hood. Regarding the bracket, yes. I did find a bracket on the left side of the engine under the hood. What does that suggest?

Quote:
1. This should not happen. Especially the 4WD lever vibrating. I have never heard of this issue. Something is wrong. Refer to the "fix" by Shankar Balan. What do the MASS guys say?
1- MASS guys told me to get the bearings changed and that it would solve all the vibration problems.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 20th November 2018 at 13:02. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 20th November 2018, 12:36   #495
BHPian

[quote=nanju;4498202]
Quote:

Hsi- You have a defective Transfer case. The Transfer gearbox would have been worn out. Best bet is to buy a good used one which will cost of 15-20k in a used market. Since its an auction vehicle, guess the TC has been used well or its been never used. Both which constitsies that all the bearings in the TC is beyond repair and needs replacements. Instead of replacing the bearings and the its a time consuming affair given that all the bearings are available off the shelves immediately. Changing the TC is your best option.
Are you sure that this is the issue? It might be a deal breaker for me then.

Considering the fact that there were no signs of off roading in the underbody visual inspection, I think that the transfer case has been used sparsely. One more thing which I noticed was that the transfer case in the centre of the underbody was covered with a sticky black greasy layer. What does that suggest?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks