Team-BHP - Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/51734-maruti-suzuki-gypsy-queries-42.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arpan16 (Post 4653455)
Hi Shankar,

I have a 2006 ex army, and have the same issue. On a cold start the engine starts up at one go. But after it has ran for some 30 mins or for 20+ kms and stop for a break, restarting with the engine warm, the self goes click click for a few times and it slowly starts as if waking up from a slumber.

What I observed when this happens is the throttle body is pretty warm, almost as much as the engine head. I do not have a temperature issue as recently I had the radiator cleaned out manually. The indicator stays within the lower half. Did you observe anything like this?

Best regards,

Arpan

Thanks for the input!

My temp gauge and heat sensor and actual thermostat which sits inside the engine assembly with the radiator fluid in contact with it, were all thoroughly overhauled and work well. In stop start traffic the temp gauge goes up above the half way mark. While on the move the temp gauge stays below or around the half mark. The throttle body does not heat up overly. The radiator is circulating coolant well.
In my case this 'click click' doesnt always happen. It is intermittent as far as I can judge.
Has happened only twice so far.
The starter solenoid switch was changed recently.
All else is fine.

Anyway Im giving it in tomorrow for re cambering all its suspension leaf springs and bringing its stance down closer to the original Gypsy stance rather than the presently slightly high set stance it has right now.

Will get this starter thing also checked up.

While Im away travelling, RAC garage can help figure out these twiddly tweaks in my eternal quest to get the Gypsy upto near perfect...

My sincere apologies for this lame question.

Do we have any Petrol 4X4 vehicle in our market other than the Gypsy & Mitsubishi outlander ?

Considering 10yrs limit for diesel SUVs in NCR, many people are preferring to buy petrol vehicle. Now if a 4X4 enthusiast is looking for a petrol vehicle, there’s only Mitsubishi Outlander ( which is missing from sales charts from long) and now discontinued Maruti Gypsy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dsan (Post 4656277)
My sincere apologies for this lame question.

Do we have any Petrol 4X4 vehicle in our market other than the Gypsy & Mitsubishi outlander ?

Considering 10yrs limit for diesel SUVs in NCR, many people are preferring to buy petrol vehicle. Now if a 4X4 enthusiast is looking for a petrol vehicle, there’s only Mitsubishi Outlander ( which is missing from sales charts from long) and now discontinued Maruti Gypsy.

I think that Thar has a petrol version for export, but have no idea if it is sold in India.

Jeep compass should have a petrol version. The wrangler has but it is priced atmospherically high.

Thanks a lot

I completely missed Jeep.

Compass doesn’t have 4X4 petrol. But wrangler (64lakh) & grand cherokee(75L) have petrol 4X4 option.

There’s a space for a petrol 4x4 below 20Lakhs.

please let me know if ARB AIR LOCKERS RD208 for rear differential, suits Gypsy King 413W. Mine is 2018 model and in bone stock state. Full specs - (RD208) Rear Locker - 84 On 1.3L Models Only, 26 Spline, All Ratio & Air Compressor - Air Locker Activation Only.

I checked with ARB dealer in Brisbane, Australia and it works for SJ413! He said that apart from Air locker & air compressor, I should get pair of carrier bearings & ring + pinion per locker. I am tempted to get it but need some guidance so that i do not land with parts which wont fit MG 413W.

Hi guys
Is there a specific measurement for gypsy rally cab ? I mean is there a measurement for that slanting/slope cut on both sides? If yes, please let me know the measurement. Thnx

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 4655254)
Thanks for the input!

Hi Shankar,

I would like to correct my observation. the problem was not actually because of temperature which i discovered just recently. My engine oil was little low- around 40% on the dipstick engine oil gauge.
So probably the problem was, on a cold start, all engine oil was there , but after running there was not enough to circulate.
I visited a MASS,after asking if he sees the engine oil is low, they mentioned yes and asked me to top up, they had rush and could not do it themselves so I had to do it on my own.
I got a 1 liter of Castrol GTX engine oil, slowly poured half, and kept checking the dipstick gauge on a warm engine.As luck might have it, trying to fill up the most about 80% on dipstick, I had emptied the whole 1 liter into it.quickly started the engine, it ran fine on idle. i was happy.
2 days later, by this time, all the engine oil has settled down on the oil pan, I crank the engine, it doesn't start. after a few cranks it starts with a bad rpm (7-800) and unusual vibration. Things sorted out to normal on itself after about 3-4 minutes on idle.
I checked the dipstick once more, and the level was above the max by about 10-15%.
Did not yet bleed or drain the engine oil, but once it runs, and if I keep it running its good.

In the mean time had my rims scrubbed cleaned and painted Matte black, a DIY.
5 Rims, 2 rear wheel brake drums and the Stepny carrier took 4 cans of spray Paint.
Total cost- 480 INR, 4 days of daytime labor.
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-black-rims.jpg
A WIP image. did not shoot the whole car yet.

Besides all these, I have one pertinent issue with the Transfer case lever.
The lever does not shift to 2H when I move it left and up. It goes up and falls back on it own to 4H.
If the lever is in 4H it vibrates like MAD.
The lever shifts and slots correctly to N and 4L.
AND most surprisingly the lever shifts and slots to 2H when I am on 4H right and tug it down a little (opposite direction of N and 4L), it doesn't slot out after that and the whole lever needs to be taken out, slot it correctly with a screwdriver and all fine again in 4H with vibrations.

I had tried with both existing and new Transfer case lever bush but no difference.
Will try to post a video.
Anyone faced a similar issue?

Hi,

After a long hiatus. Back with an update. The Gypsy took longer than promised to be restored. However, the Gypsy should see the back of a truck today and be on its way to Bangalore. Will share better pictures once I receive it. Here is a picture of the vehicle. (Stickers are yet to be put).

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-gypsy2.jpg

So, once I get the vehicle. Is there anything I should check on? The restorer was mentioning something about checking the radiator level once it has been delivered.

Hi,

Finally received my Gypsy. As I was expecting and as suggested by others, it has not come totally worry-free.

But alas, a dream has come true and I am not disappointed. Over the next few months and years, this is a project that will live with me.

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-72780339_1130606750477825_1859359379015335936_n.jpg

Some of the things that I need to do:

- Drive it for another 1000 - 2000 km as is, to get a better picture of problem areas. Some of the issues, I think, could be that I am very used to having a car as my daily drive.

- Change all oils after this initial test period for my satisfaction. Also, I feel the engine oil etc, would deteriorate faster initially, given that this engine would have sat dormant for sometime

- Insulate better or get new wiring. I saw that there is some shoddy tape work done in a few places that I would like fixed.

- Get used to driving a Gypsy :)

So do I recommend getting a refurbished army / service vehicle from a dealer?

Yes and No. My experience has not been totally bad. A lot of what was promised has been done on the vehicle and done well. However, as expected, I will continue to have to work on the vehicle to bring it to a condition that befits my personal level of quality.

I would not have had the time to do such a restoration, hence I feel going this route has given me a good vehicle, which drives quite well, but needs just that bit more work.

So if you don't have time on your hands, then yes, I would recommend getting a refurbished Gypsy. If you have time, then you would want to restore it yourself. But best of all, if you feel you have patience and luck, then a civilian Gypsy is your best bet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lobojames9 (Post 4688114)
Finally received my Gypsy.

Congratulations on owning this legend, which will soon be a relic :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by lobojames9 (Post 4688114)
- Drive it for another 1000 - 2000 km as is, to get a better picture of problem areas. Some of the issues, I think, could be that I am very used to having a car as my daily drive.

Agreed. Gypsy is nowhere close to "regular" cars and takes time getting used to. I'm sure you will get used to it in a few weeks' time

Hello guys, what's the fair price for a 2014 model Civilian gypsy 10000km Run, Location Kerala, Single owner. A/c, Power steering, Snorkel, ARB Airlockers, Roll Cage, Bushranger Winch, Power Windows Installed.

Recommendation please!

Hi All,

A friend of mine recently purchased a Gypsy King. It requires some work to be done:

1) Slight body-work. There is some rust that needs to be taken care of.
2) Bushes, beading and other rubber parts need to be changed.
3) Suspension needs to be changed. He would like to upgrade to OME, fiber-glass leafs or similar for improved ride-quality.
4) He wants to change wheels and tyres.
5) Engine and drive-train seem to be ok, but a quick check and service job will probably be done at the same time.

Any contact details for a reliable garage in the Delhi NCR region will be appreciated. Recommendations on what else should be done to improve a Gypsy will be welcome thanks.

Thanks a lot,
Pawan

I've just exchanged my old 1996 MG410W for another of the same vintage and unlike the previous one I dont want to use 100/130 bulbs using a relay.
Has someone tried fitting the gypsy king MG413 post 2008 headlamps (that come with a "topi") on their bulbs, on to an old MG410W. Since both are 7" round headlamps I'm assuming they should be interchangeable, or am i incorrect in assuming that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by antihero (Post 4716771)
I've just exchanged my old 1996 MG410W for another of the same vintage and unlike the previous one I dont want to use 100/130 bulbs using a relay.
Has someone tried fitting the gypsy king MG413 post 2008 headlamps (that come with a "topi") on their bulbs, on to an old MG410W. Since both are 7" round headlamps I'm assuming they should be interchangeable, or am i incorrect in assuming that?

You should be good if the headlamp assembly supports H4 type bulbs. Go for Philips xtreme vision 55/60 and you will not be disappointed, of course, subject to the health of reflectors.

Received following message on WhatsApp today.

A lot of Bangalore police department Gypsies above 2000 models are being auctioned tomorrow in mysore road MT depot. Guys looking for Gypsy it's the right time.

I don't know authenticity of this message. Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-img20200213wa0022.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-img20200213wa0021.jpg