Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2020, 20:50   #646
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
Beg to differ. I have had a Gypsy king 1.3 MPFI for 4 years and have used it in multiple Rallies and serious off road excursions. The Stock Hook is the strongest of all. Recovered a lot of vehicles of it and it has managed to stay intact.
Has anyone fitted a tow hook or recovery point to the Gypsy, front & rear, with OEM bumpers ? I would like to fix one on each end of the chassis ,opposite the factory U shaped tow point. This would distribute the load. Also, the front U-point cannot take a big (4 ton and above) D shackle easily, because of the anti-roll bars.

Please help with pictures, and/or suggestions as to where I can get something to fix it ?
Old 28th June 2020, 12:20   #647

In the military gypsies they have a tow hook at the rear bolted on to the chasis.pretty sturdy. Standard OEM fitment is a eyelet welded to one side of the chassis which is not enough reliable. @ Topsia there is man who had been working on rally cars for good amount of time, he must be able to help you out. If you can PM me, I can share the contacts.
Arpan16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 18:57   #648

Planning to buy a Gypsy in 2020

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I'd like to thank the moderators for letting me in this society of petrol-heads. I am from Delhi and I am planning to buy a Gypsy in about 4-5 months so I wanted to gather each and every small detail before going ahead with the purchase.

I am a huge fan of the armed forces and it was probably because of them that I got so interested in the Maruti Gypsy.One of my friends bought it brand new in 2018 so I have driven his car and since it was stock so I have an idea of how it feels to drive one. My dad is into SUVs and he has owned a Gypsy from 1996-1999 and it was not difficult to get him in on this.

From what I have read on websites and from reviews that I have heard in person is that the work done in Mayapuri,Delhi is not up-to the mark and it would be a gamble to get one from there(This is just my personal opinion, I don't mean to offend anyone).
The offers on Olx by people who have overhauled or added some spare parts to 2008-2011 Ex-Army Gyspys are near Rs.3 Lakhs which according to me is too much for a vehicle that is 9-12 years old.
Budget
I can only spend about Rs.4 Lakhs.
Requirements
M/T Tyres
Off-road Rims
Basic Touchscreen Audio System
4 Speakers
Minor suspension upgrade(so that the ride is better)
Hard-Top
Projector Headlamps
Power Steering
AC
NOC
I could let go of some stuff for now and add it the next year or so.

I know that this is too much to ask for in this budget. I do have some questions for you guys on the basis of which I'll decide what to do,
1. Is this even feasible?
2. If I cut down on some of the aftermarket add-ons, will it be feasible?
3. Where can I get an average-good Gypsy? If you know where one is located please let me know .
4. Any other tips/pointers would be appreciated.

Sincere apologies if I have made any mistake or used wrong vocabulary anywhere.
kartik_26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 11:08   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpan16 View Post
In the military gypsies they have a tow hook at the rear bolted on to the chasis.pretty sturdy. Standard OEM fitment is a eyelet welded to one side of the chassis which is not enough reliable. @ Topsia there is man who had been working on rally cars for good amount of time, he must be able to help you out. If you can PM me, I can share the contacts.
Thank you, Arpan16, actually that military style PINTLE HOOK is more suited to Mahindras and Jongas, vehicles which can/could actually tow. The Gypsy engine can barely pull itself !
I often wonder why the armed forces fit pintle hooks on Gypsies -- it also entails shifting the number plate elsewhere -- involving more light connections if you want to stay legal.

I was talking more about additional hooks or rings FRONT & REAR.
Yes, I will PM you soon, after I figure out how ! Seem to have forgotten how to use that feature !!
Old 7th July 2020, 12:51   #650
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Planning to buy a Gypsy in 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartik_26 View Post
Budget
I can only spend about Rs.4 Lakhs.
Requirements
M/T Tyres
Off-road Rims
Basic Touchscreen Audio System
4 Speakers
Minor suspension upgrade(so that the ride is better)
Hard-Top
Projector Headlamps
Power Steering
AC
NOC
I could let go of some stuff for now and add it the next year or so.
Some suggestions -

Your budget should be first used to procure the best Gypsy available and then restore the vehicle to stock, get it in excellent (like brand new) working order mechanically, afterwards restore the body work to original - at this point if you start to like a Gypsy - well you should, its a wrong choice otherwise.

Do not buy vehicles that have already had a hard life, they are perhaps fit for a museum not as daily drivers.

After full mechanical restoration (will take many months ) if you are okay with how it rides and drives, leave it at that , you can perhaps do without any of the upgrades mentioned above, Gypsy is not a Hector \ Seltos - it looks best stock with soft top without a shadow of doubt.

If this is a dedicated offroad rig - MT tyres are welcome, if you are going to drive this on the road, please install highway capable tires that looks aggressive, like the Yokohoma Geolandar, Michelin etc, preferably stock size, bigger tire will put more stress on many bits and bolts, also your arms. Offroad rims (the black wide ones) are heavy, lift one and see if you want your wheel hubs to go through that punishment.

You can add a stereo for sure, best not to install anything expensive and make it a thief magnet.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 00:27   #651
BHPian

Hi all if anyone have got Gypsy Repair manual, have got the owner manual and had taken prinouts , I will be grateful if I can get the Gypsy repair manual, mine is a Army auction restored Gypsy King 1.3 MPFI
Old 12th July 2020, 01:48   #652

Re: Planning to buy a Gypsy in 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Some suggestions -

Your budget should be first used to procure the best Gypsy available and then restore the vehicle to stock, get it in excellent (like brand new) working order mechanically, afterwards restore the body work to original - at this point if you start to like a Gypsy - well you should, its a wrong choice otherwise.

Do not buy vehicles that have already had a hard life, they are perhaps fit for a museum not as daily drivers.

After full mechanical restoration (will take many months ) if you are okay with how it rides and drives, leave it at that , you can perhaps do without any of the upgrades mentioned above, Gypsy is not a Hector \ Seltos - it looks best stock with soft top without a shadow of doubt.

If this is a dedicated offroad rig - MT tyres are welcome, if you are going to drive this on the road, please install highway capable tires that looks aggressive, like the Yokohoma Geolandar, Michelin etc, preferably stock size, bigger tire will put more stress on many bits and bolts, also your arms. Offroad rims (the black wide ones) are heavy, lift one and see if you want your wheel hubs to go through that punishment.

You can add a stereo for sure, best not to install anything expensive and make it a thief magnet.
Thank you for the valuable suggestions, will keep them in mind when I acquire a gypsy.
Old 12th July 2020, 11:47   #653
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Gypsy dispatched to the Indian Army:

Quote:
Over 700 units of BS4 Maruti Gypsy 4×4 delivered to Indian Army in June 2020
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-marutigypsyindianarmyjune2020.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 21:45   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionAmit View Post
Hi all if anyone have got Gypsy Repair manual, have got the owner manual and had taken prinouts , I will be grateful if I can get the Gypsy repair manual, mine is a Army auction restored Gypsy King 1.3 MPFI
I am located in Thane (near Mumbai) and do have the Gypsy 410/413 Service Manual, which you can have. PM me and we can work out the logistics to get it across.
AutoSphere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 23:22   #655
BHPian

Hi Autosphere i have sent you a PM, pls check.
Thanks again for replying.
I will be extremely happy if i can get the service manual.
Old 1st September 2020, 10:59   #656
BHPian

Hi,

So, I had gotten my Gypsy with Accelera Omnikron 235 sized tires pre-fitted.

On complete lock or while turning over a bump, the tires would rub. So I went ahead and fitted 2 inch lift shackles.

Recently, after doing some more research, I have been reading that shackles are not a great way to go as it adversely affects the steering geometry. A body lift would be better. So my queries were:

1) At 2 inch lift, does it really affect the steering. I am also wondering how the added weight of a 235 tire is affecting the stock setup.

2) Would it be advisable to just change to 215 tires and remove the shackles? (in good time, when money allows)

As the Gypsy is a keeper for me, and has turned out to be pretty much be my daily driver these days, your advise would be helpful.
Old 2nd September 2020, 00:43   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobojames9 View Post
Hi,

So, I had gotten my Gypsy with Accelera Omnikron 235 sized tires pre-fitted.

On complete lock or while turning over a bump, the tires would rub. So I went ahead and fitted 2 inch lift shackles.

Recently, after doing some more research, I have been reading that shackles are not a great way to go as it adversely affects the steering geometry. A body lift would be better. So my queries were:

1) At 2 inch lift, does it really affect the steering. I am also wondering how the added weight of a 235 tire is affecting the stock setup.

2) Would it be advisable to just change to 215 tires and remove the shackles? (in good time, when money allows)

As the Gypsy is a keeper for me, and has turned out to be pretty much be my daily driver these days, your advise would be helpful.
My take on this idea of lifting the Gypsy/or any other 4X4 unless you're into serious off roading (a term unabashedly used in abundance now a days) on a regular basis is slightly unconventional so you’re free to ignore my opinion as that of an outlier.

Any major modification that you do to a stock vehicle will invariably affect its long term reliability. If you’ve multiple vehicles and do not mind spending lots of money to take care of those problems that may arise eventually; then by all means you should indulge.

You’ve mentioned that this vehicle is your daily driver and that becomes even more important from long term reliability stand point. Fitting larger wheels and/or tires can put additional strain on axle bearings, steering, suspension and drive-line components.

I’m no expert on this but I think fitting shackles can affect spring flex (the vehicle is more likely to bottom out), compression, handling capabilities, and comfort. My suggestion would be to remove those shackles and go back to 215 section tires.

On a side note I’m an owner of 2016 Gypsy King (bough brand new in January 2016) that I have been able to drive all of 7,500 kms (I know, it’s a shame) in last four and half years as I’m able to drive in only when I visit India. The only change that I did to the Gypsy was to get rid of those horrendous cross ply tires that the vehicle came with from the factory and replacing those with 215 section tires.
Vikram Arya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 09:21   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post

You’ve mentioned that this vehicle is your daily driver and that becomes even more important from long term reliability stand point. Fitting larger wheels and/or tires can put additional strain on axle bearings, steering, suspension and drive-line components.

I’m no expert on this but I think fitting shackles can affect spring flex (the vehicle is more likely to bottom out), compression, handling capabilities, and comfort. My suggestion would be to remove those shackles and go back to 215 section tires.
I totally understand your viewpoint and that is what has gotten me thinking lately. When I first bought my Gypsy, "restored", I was enamored by the looks of everything. While, not understanding the implications.

I have come to the realization that I would not be using it for hardcore off-roading (something that I thought I would do), rather would only use it for trails when I go to my estate, which even the stock vehicle should handle with ease.

I would consider going back to 215s in the future. For my purposes, I do not see the need for the 235s with shackles. It would take some time as understandably changing five tires is quite an expense.

For now, I have been concentrating on getting the engine, electrical etc. back in the shape I want, and gladly, have come a long way from the miserable Gypsy that was sold to me (It looked great from the outside, but had myriad issues inside)

Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 2nd September 2020, 12:01   #659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
On a side note I’m an owner of 2016 Gypsy King (bough brand new in January 2016) that I have been able to drive all of 7,500 kms (I know, it’s a shame) in last four and half years
Vikram - My Oct 2016 Gypsy has done just about 6k km till now, if that is any consolation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobojames9 View Post
Would it be advisable to just change to 215 tires and remove the shackles?
Sincere advice - this is the way to go.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 00:23   #660
BHPian

Anyone interested in upgrading to retractable seat belts in Gypsy King, I am sharing the part number. It’s a straight fit, and have fixed it in my vehicle recently.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-be2acc00e5844ec5b0a71393d79c5210.jpeg  

ijeff is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks