Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2022, 13:12   #721
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Hello everyone,

I am planning to get a gypsy for myself in Guwahati. I have been searching in OLX for months but have not come across any Gypsy in good condition. I have narrowed Auto Attitudes (Noida) and VroomVroom Restoration (Bhopal) to place an order. Any experience/feedback regarding these two would be of great help.
Old 28th February 2022, 22:05   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
There can be 2 causes

1. The radiator has been lying in store for a real long time and some parts have rusted. This can only happen with radiators that have steel parts. The old style radiators were full copper - top, fins and bottom.

2. The rust may come from particles deposited in your engine by the old radiator. Ot they may be from the engine block.
No radiator, old or new, is supposed to have rust prone parts : Older radiators had brass tubes/fins & tanks. Newer ones have aluminium tubes and fins, and plastic top & bottom tanks. So they cannot gather rust even if in storage for some time. Only mounting brackets outside are of MS sheets.

Gypsy engine blocks are aluminium, not cast iron like older cars, so there can be no rust generation there either.

The gunk must have been something else. Keep flushing -- mechanic friend's way is the conventional method -- till you get clear water, and then add coolant plus distilled water. The latter is important to (a) prevent corrosion of aluminium radiator & engine blocks from acids and chemicals (Al being a soft metal), and also (b), prevent deposits of chemicals blocking tubes, found in normal water.

And miles-hungry, check where most army auctions take place, nearest to Guwahati. Tezpur is one place, but there must be another nearer you. Usually dealers buy lots from such auctions, and repair, refurbish vehicles and resell, sometimes to your specific requirements.

Mayapuri in Delhi is one such famous joint. Panagarh in WB is another. I am sure you can find out from friends where in Assam, or I can find out from my friends if you PM me. Will be nearer than Bhopal or Noida, particularly from registration point of view. You can even tow vehicles from such places and get them overhauled at your favourite FNG, should you know one with Gypsy expertise. And be careful about OLX offers, some are fake !
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 15:53   #723
BHPian

Team

Noticed dust deposit near head gasket area of my 22K run gypsy. Looks like minor leakage of oil. Or this normal. Pls advise . Pics attached
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-whatsapp-image-20220307-15.46.36.jpeg  

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-whatsapp-image-20220307-15.46.52-1.jpeg  

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-whatsapp-image-20220307-15.46.52.jpeg  

Old 7th March 2022, 16:36   #724
BHPian

That's not the head gasket, its the camshaft/valve cover. Make sure bolts are tightened according to spec. If need replace the rubber seal. This won't cause much issue though.
Also if somebody had filled the oil, spillage from filling the oil may settle there on that gasket area and when it dries up with dust, you get such a appearance.

Last edited by DIY410 : 7th March 2022 at 16:38.
DIY410 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 14:46   #725
BHPian

Dear Fellow BHPians,

I need to change the rear door glass of my MPFI Gypsy. The spares distributor is not able to locate the part name. Any headers on this would be useful.

Also, will it be available with Maruti or should I check other options?
Old 17th March 2022, 16:24   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ410 View Post
Dear Fellow BHPians,

I need to change the rear door glass of my MPFI Gypsy. The spares distributor is not able to locate the part name. Any headers on this would be useful.

Also, will it be available with Maruti or should I check other options?
Have you checked https://oriparts.com/7/86 ?

Lookup from the catalogue and the link redirects to boodmo page where either you can order online or take the part number at MGP
Dodge_Viper is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 17:07   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Have you checked https://oriparts.com/7/86 ?

Lookup from the catalogue and the link redirects to boodmo page where either you can order online or take the part number at MGP
Thanks for this @Dodge_Viper. Was overjoyed to see the site with all the details but the rear door glass is not listed here
Old 17th March 2022, 19:17   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ410 View Post
Thanks for this @Dodge_Viper. Was overjoyed to see the site with all the details but the rear door glass is not listed here
Did you check this?

https://oriparts.com/7/86/3287/822436#item_15927016

Check part#58

This I searched for my hardtop model (May 2000).
Dodge_Viper is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 23:36   #729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
There can be 2 causes

1. The radiator has been lying in store for a real long time and some parts have rusted. This can only happen with radiators that have steel parts. The old style radiators were full copper - top, fins and bottom.

2. The rust may come from particles deposited in your engine by the old radiator. Ot they may be from the engine block.
Can you please tell me if the Mayapuri Gypsy market still exists. I'm in search of a Euro 4 Gypsy. Could you please help. I am a newbie here and hence can't PM you.
Old 14th April 2022, 10:29   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopLiveCentre View Post
Can you please tell me if the Mayapuri Gypsy market still exists. I'm in search of a Euro 4 Gypsy. Could you please help. I am a newbie here and hence can't PM you.
You will find army/navy/ defence disposal Gypsy, in the north, bhopal, Kanpur etc. Then also look at Mandi dabwali and Moga, who are extremely active in Jeep gypsy modification.

Hope this helps.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 11:40   #731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopLiveCentre View Post
The market still exists, although Maruti stopped manufacturing them. There are two sources for old Gypsies :

1. Existing owners.
2. Army surplus stores.

The condition is extremely variable, especially for the Army stuff that has been run to ground by the forces and them modified extensively by resellers.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 17:27   #732

I've placed an order with vroom vroom restoration as well. Paid the 50% advance. They said it takes around 3 to 4 months before handing over the gypsy. Fingers crossed all goes well. I was quite impressed with their work on their YouTube channel.
Nambiade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 08:56   #733
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, a noob question: What's the ride comfort of a stock gypsy ?

The only time I did ride in one was in the Gypsy of friendly mod Khan Sultan. But that one had larger wheels, and a few other mods. And was a long time back.
Old 30th May 2022, 10:24   #734
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys, a noob question: What's the ride comfort of a stock gypsy ?

The only time I did ride in one was in the Gypsy of friendly mod Khan Sultan. But that one had larger wheels, and a few other mods. And was a long time back.
Terrible! You will hate the car with stock suspension. Do not buy a Gypsy without funds for an Ironman or OME suspension upgrade! And an aftermarket A/C instllation - Period!
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 16:06   #735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
What's the ride comfort of a stock gypsy?
Drop the word "comfort" from your sentence above It is as good (or bad) as riding a bullock cart, albeit with the advantage of bouncing over anything and everything without worrying about costly repairs to the suspension! As Raghul said, suspension upgrade on a Gypsy is a must for lesser mortals, especially if you love your back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks