Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2009, 08:37   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
It will primarily be used for jungle trails (to indulge in some wildlife photography) and 1 annual visit to leh and laddakh. If you think that the 1.0 L engine is competent for these duties, then I guess we'll just go in for a custom FFE and maybe a larger carburettor for a bit of extra power.
Sir, Adding a FFE will increase the exhaust sound which may be counter productive when you go for jungle trails for wildlife photography.

Best is to keep it as it is as it is very silent in stock form and you can venture close to your game!
Old 18th January 2009, 13:04   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sir, Adding a FFE will increase the exhaust sound which may be counter productive when you go for jungle trails for wildlife photography.

Best is to keep it as it is as it is very silent in stock form and you can venture close to your game!
Point well taken. Thanks.
Old 18th January 2009, 13:56   #63
BHPian

Here are some proposed paint jobs for the gypsy. What do you guys think?
That thing you see jutting out from the top is supposed to be a snorkel but we might not need it, it's just there to see how it would look.

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-gypsy1.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-gypsy2.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-gypsy3.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-gypsy4.jpg
Old 18th January 2009, 14:05   #64
BHPian

nice wheels and tires, that seems to be either khans or headers shortened gypsy pic! looks good with that roof arrangement, not too sure about the colors though, the fluorocent might scare the animals away, do either white or green. i wouldnt mix the 2 in that way, but thats just me. by the way i will update progress on my gypsy with pics asap. regards
Old 18th January 2009, 14:24   #65
BHPian

Yes, the donor gypsy is khan's (before it was chopped from behind). I shortened it in photoshop.

The colors are not going to be fluorescent (though they have come out that way in photoshop), we are looking at lime green or sky blue.

Last edited by Astleviz : 18th January 2009 at 14:26.
Old 19th January 2009, 14:04   #66
BHPian

Quote:
The gypsy will not be used for hardcore offroading. It will primarily be used for jungle trails (to indulge in some wildlife photography) and 1 annual visit to leh and laddakh. If you think that the 1.0 L engine is competent for these duties, then I guess we'll just go in for a custom FFE and maybe a larger carburettor for a bit of extra power.
Astleviz - The 1.0L gypsy has adequate power for the purpose mentioned. You do not need to go for an engine swap. Just ensure that all the mechanicals are in good working condition.

The 1.3L carb king and the 1.0L were sold side by side by Maruti for a while in 96/97 I think.
Old 19th January 2009, 15:12   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Here are some proposed paint jobs for the gypsy. What do you guys think?
That thing you see jutting out from the top is supposed to be a snorkel but we might not need it, it's just there to see how it would look.

What about an Orange Vs Black combination instead of Orange Vs White? It will look superb!
Old 21st January 2009, 00:04   #68
BHPian

gypsy restoration

went to check on my gypsy today, things look slow but good, wheel arches and all are ready, paint is being scraped for new primer and all.. overall slow but on track, need the black softop if anyone can source me please....
i would have chopped 6 inches of overhang from the back off, but i might need that space for lugging stuff in the tea estate, as most of the space behind the rear seat is consumed by the 60L cng tank!
paint will be Landrover British racing green HFB 753.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-190120092411.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-190120092412.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-190120092413.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-190120092415.jpg  

Old 27th January 2009, 10:14   #69

chargerman !

Almost a whole week, and no news of the progress ?

Hope you are not neglecting OUR gypsy, now ?

Post soon, buddy. pics and more pics pleeeeese?
Old 27th January 2009, 16:09   #70
BHPian

follow the restoration here: not much of the work can be seen, patched up the floor and other rotten bits making new bumpers etc.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...storation.html
Old 19th March 2010, 15:43   #71
Senior - BHPian

Sorry Raj for the OT but this is a thread gurus frequent.

If i get an MPI Gypsy that has LPG kit fitted. Is it a lot of trouble (technically) to get rid off the kit? Will it cause any reliability issues once the vehicle is back only on petrol? Not sure what mods are done to fit an LPG kit. So wondering if taking the kit off will require anything specific to be checked in detail.

100th post. Good....

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 19th March 2010 at 15:53.
Old 19th March 2010, 15:57   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
If i get an MPI Gypsy that has LPG kit fitted. Is it a lot of trouble (technically) to get rid off the kit?
No

Quote:
Will it cause any reliability issues once the vehicle is back only on petrol?
No

Quote:
So wondering if taking the kit off will require anything specific to be checked in detail.
First time get it checked at MASS thoroughly. Check the petrol lines.
Old 19th March 2010, 16:14   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
No

No

First time get it checked at MASS thoroughly. Check the petrol lines.
Great!! Forgot to ask this - How much should the LPG kit add on to the price of a similar aged petrol only gypsy? So if the petrol-only is 1lac, how much should the lpg kit add on to the price?

I intend to use the gypsy (when i get one) as my primary vehicle and for OTRS, so the kit simply needs to go right? Its not now-on-now-off thing right?
Old 19th March 2010, 16:25   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Great!! Forgot to ask this - How much should the LPG kit add on to the price of a similar aged petrol only gypsy? So if the petrol-only is 1lac, how much should the lpg kit add on to the price?

I intend to use the gypsy (when i get one) as my primary vehicle and for OTRS, so the kit simply needs to go right? Its not now-on-now-off thing right?
How many kms has the car done with the kit?

You can keep the kit. Ofourse will add to the weight. During your OTR switch to petrol instead of LPG. I have no idea about performance of LPG offroad though. Could be bad / better /same.

If i were you, i would tell the seller that i am not interested in the kit and he can have it back and then negotiate accordingly.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 19th March 2010 at 16:28.
Old 19th March 2010, 16:30   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
How many kms has the car done with the kit in this 1lakh kms?

You can keep the kit. Ofourse will add to the weight. During your OTR switch to petrol instead of LPG. I have no idea about performance of LPG offroad though. Could be bad / better /same.

If i were you, i would tell the seller that i am not interested in the kit and he can have it back and then negotiate accordingly.
I didnt mean 1lakh kms, i was asking if a normal petrol gypsy sells for rs.1lac, how much more will an lpg kit add on to the price? This vehicle has the kit and if the seller wants to sell it with the kit, i'm not going to say no. I will have to figure out what to do with the kit later. Its so hard to get an mpi anyways.

And as for retaining the LPG Kit during the OTR, i'm not sure if its a good idea in terms of saftey.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks