Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2022, 16:26   #736
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Drop the word "comfort" from your sentence above It is as good (or bad) as riding a bullock cart, .
dude, in a bullock cart I can sleep while the oxen will take me home, and safely. No way that a Gypsy can do it.

Comfort is relative. This is not for long distance travel. Mostly city, and occasionally same day trips. Requirement is to be able to carry some stuff. I could have looked for a camper/getaway/xenon, but those are 5 seaters and looong. Max seating would be 2, but mostly alone. Not finding many options. MM540 family is another possibility.
Old 31st May 2022, 16:32   #737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
This is not for long distance travel. Mostly city, and occasionally same day trips. Requirement is to be able to carry some stuff.
For this use case, a stock Gypsy is absolutely fine once your body gets tuned to it.
Old 31st May 2022, 17:42   #738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
For this use case, a stock Gypsy is absolutely fine once your body gets tuned to it.
That is the reason I asked here. However, space at back is less. Will need to drive a gypsy - hope I can find someone who has one, drive it while I talk to him. Cant do that with dealers.

The other disadvantage of a Gypsy is their fancy pricing.

Last edited by condor : 31st May 2022 at 17:48.
Old 5th June 2022, 11:20   #739
BHPian

Quote:
That is the reason I asked here. However, space at back is less. Will need to drive a gypsy - hope I can find someone who has one, drive it while I talk to him. Cant do that with dealers.

The other disadvantage of a Gypsy is their fancy pricing.
I beg to differ here. Possibly I my mad love for the Gypsy does not let me see the negatives. I find the Gypsy pretty fine for most aspects. I have not modified the suspension in any way. I use it as a daily drive to office, about 20km each way. And I have used it for long drives too with family the last one being Goa to Chennai which is about 1000km and done in 1.5 days. I have used it for drives with family between Chennai and Bangalore umpteen times. When off roading I either fold the rear seats or remove them altogether, which is a 5 minute job.

I did install front facing Santro seats in the rear with seatbelts and safety seats for the kids. The boot space is massive which is a life saver with two small kids and their stuff. An AC is required for long drives if driving in summers. I used a nano compressor which does not load the engine much.

Personally, I find the ride comfort just about fine and so does the family. One has to be careful about going over bumps and potholes at the right speed else it feels like an implosion in the cabin. On tarmac the ride quality is fine given the tyre pressure is maintained optimally. If the tyres are overinflated it is terribly bouncy.

Initially I did find the Gypsy quite bouncy but that changed a lot with the front facing seats.In fact the ride comfort at the back is better than in the front. That could also be beacuse the rear seat frame is hooked to the body and does not touch the floor at all while the front seats are bolted to the floor.
SJ410 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 12:15   #740
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ410 View Post
In fact the ride comfort at the back is better than in the front. That could also be beacuse the rear seat frame is hooked to the body and does not touch the floor at all while the front seats are bolted to the floor.
So are the front facing seats in the rear mounted on the body instead of the floor ? If I do get a Gypsy, the rear seats will remain folded, since luggage in the rear is more likely than passengers. What's your FE in city, and on highways.

Having said that, a well maintained gypsy, would be hard to find. Especially at a fair price.
Old 5th June 2022, 13:16   #741
BHPian

Quote:
So are the front facing seats in the rear mounted on the body instead of the floor ? If I do get a Gypsy, the rear seats will remain folded, since luggage in the rear is more likely than passengers. What's your FE in city, and on highways.

Having said that, a well maintained gypsy, would be hard to find. Especially at a fair price.
The rear seats were picked off an old santro from a scrap yard. They fold forward twice. First fold makes it flat. Second fold makes it vertical and in line with the front seats. So you get the entire rear bay area to load stuff. The seats rest on a frame bolted to the sides where the hard top meets the metal. With the seats up, I can still pack in 4 large suitcases vertically still leaving space for a few bags under the seat and at the sides. The boot has enough space for 2 jump seats but suitable only for kids.

FE in the city depends on the way you drive. The Gypsy gearing is not meant for city driving so I coast whenever required esp near signals and speed bumps.Acceleration and deceleration is also slow. Rarely get a chance to move to 5th. I use about 18-20 litres of fuel for 200km weekly, with AC. So efficiency should hover around 10-11 kmpl which is ok. But engine heats up in stop and go traffic.

Highways I get an unbelievable efficiency of 16.75 kmpl. I am surprised myself as I expected around 12 only. But Chennai Bangalore stretch I have done many times and each time I need 20 litres. It could be due to the fact that I was very meticulous while running it in. Also, there is a second fan in front of the radiator which comes on when the AC is switched on. This somehow keeps the temperature gauge at about 25% on highways. Prior to fitting the AC, the temperature guage would go to around 40%. I am not sure if the gauge is somehow showing an erroneous reading beacuse of being placed closer to the fan. But the gauge remains at 25%.

Steering was initially tight but I developed triceps and now its quite ok. Parking is generally tight otherwise once in motion there is no problem.
SJ410 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 15:54   #742
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The boot space is massive which is a life saver with two small kids and their stuff.
Can you help me with the space available behind the front seats ? L x W from end of front seats to the rear gate. Thanks.
Old 6th June 2022, 14:11   #743
BHPian

I have front facing Bolero seats in my MG 413W, so that the seatback can be folded for better view out of the huge rear window when only driver and front passenger are present. This also helps with long items in the luggage. The standard fitment was OMNI rear seats which could not be folded -- I had this in the earlier 410W.

I also have Sumo Grande jump seats in the dickey. A narrow, micro SUV from outside, Gypsy is more spacious inside. It has more legroom in second and dickey jump seats than Bolero, the latter being slightly longer and wider. One problem is that only two can sit at the second row, three if they are skinny teens !

Space behind front and rear seats are adjustable -- depending on where you fit the second front facing seat. You can opt for a bigger luggage area by reducing legroom in the second row. I have leg space as wide as in the OMNI second row, while dickey area is wide enough for the Sumo Grande jump seats. Had provide all photos in another Gypsy thread, forget which !
Old 7th June 2022, 15:54   #744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
I have front facing Bolero seats in my MG 413W, ...

I also have Sumo Grande jump seats in the dickey. A narrow, micro SUV from outside, Gypsy is more spacious inside.
Here you go, for benefit of folks looking at this thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-v...ml#post4935933 (Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries)

the overall size does belie the space inside.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 10:31   #745
BHPian

I have a query regarding the fuel tank capacity of the MG413. The manual says that the capacity is 40 litres but I cannot fill more than 20-22 lit at max. Is there an error in the manual?
Old 20th June 2022, 14:30   #746
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
I have a query regarding the fuel tank capacity of the MG413. The manual says that the capacity is 40 litres but I cannot fill more than 20-22 lit at max. Is there an error in the manual?
At least 35ltr should be possible. not sure what is the problem with your fuel tank? Did you have petrol already in it?
Old 20th June 2022, 14:31   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
At least 35ltr should be possible. not sure what is the problem with your fuel tank? Did you have petrol already in it?
Nope. Obviously not. I meant filling a near empty tank.
Old 20th June 2022, 14:34   #748
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Nope. Obviously not. I meant filling a near empty tank.
Weird - take it to a MASS and check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
I have front facing Bolero seats in my MG 413W,
Any good pics of Bolero Seats from front of Gypsy? Is the gap between two seats reduced?
Old 20th June 2022, 21:15   #749
BHPian

No, Ragul, I was talking about the second row.
Front seats of Bolero, or any other, will reduce the gap between the seats, as Gypsy is very narrow, and has small seats for driver and front passenger (NOT CO-DRIVER, as everyone writes now-a-days), even smaller than those in RITZ !

MG413, just like all Gypsies before it, has a fuel tank capacity of 40 litres, SJ410
Old 21st June 2022, 10:28   #750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two scenarios

1. There is fuel in it. Note that as per International standards, there should be at least 50km worth of fuel when it shows "empty"
". That should be 5L for Gypsy.

2. The fuel tank has a dent that has decreased it capacity.

Your best bet is to :

. Empty the fuel tank completely.
. Take it out and fix any dents in it.
. Check its capacity after cleaning.
. Clean it thoroughly and fix it back.

Most Viewed