Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2022, 22:07   #811
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Actually, it is a 1964 Nissan Patrol, one of the 1000 bought on trial basis before production began at VFJ Jabalpur, and the name was Indianised to Jonga. It was purchased after army disposal, hence civilian registration of 1987.

Very foolishly I changed the mirror to one of Gypsy, as the Jonga mirror was not easily available, and also not convenient mounted on the "A" pillar just under the windshield. Could have gone for the OMNI mirror, with two holes on the door. Instead had to make a groove for the three screws of the Gypsy mirror to fit.

Yes, the engine is very smooth and silent. Sometimes when I coast into a fuel outlet, they think I have just run out of petrol and am gliding in with the engine off !
SnakemanJohny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 18:52   #812

Hello Dear TeamBhP Members,

I'm a newbie here, so please excuse any silly NooB questions.
-
I'm in the process of buying and Modifying a Gypsy (2000 Model Gypsy King MPFI)
It already has

5x Maxxis Bighorn MT-764 32/115 R 15
KN Filter
SPOA Setup
Traction Bar
Working Snorkel
Bilstein Long Travel Shock (12")
Overhang chopped by 4"

-
However, I am going to tone down the overall look and bring it down to something that the cops won't bother me too much.
I understand from the Forum that there is only so much that you can do to improve the overall ride Comfort, so I want to know if I should go for the IronMan Suspension Kit.
Will it make things a wee bit better at least? I'm going to be doing light Offroading nothing serious.
-
Hoping to get some advice..
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by 4x4Newbie : 9th September 2022 at 18:54.
Old 9th September 2022, 19:32   #813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
6. I was looking for proper MyPol Butyl tyre Tubes of F78-15 size.
Thanks!
MRF still makes these tyres. so the tubes should be available from MRF
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 21:07   #814

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Newbie View Post
I'm in the process of buying and Modifying a Gypsy (2000 Model Gypsy King MPFI)
-

Update : Sealed the Deal today. Paid Rs.75,000 as token advance after doing a nice test drive. 4H & 4L Works like a charm.
-
I'm gonna be getting the following done.

1. Front & Read Metal Offroad Bumpers
2. New Radiator & Full Assembly
3. Power Breaks & Full Assembly
4. Profender Suspension Kit
5. LED HeadLights - (Black)
6. Custom Hardtop - (FULL)
7. 3 Black Comfy Seats, maybe BREZZA
8. New Dashboard & Instrument Cluster
9. New Steering Ring
10. New Clean Electrical Wiring
11. All Black Interiors, (FloorBoard to be maybe RubberConed)
12. FullBody Tinker & Paint (Desert Storm)
13. A/C & Full Assembly
14. Extended Flares to get the Bighorn 764 within the body.
15. SPUA Setup
16. Stock Exhaust - As Quiet as Possible.
-

The current vehicle has a YJ Kit Apparently, does anyone know what a YJ Kit is ?

I was going through some information about Gear Ratios and Stuff, Is it Mechanically OK for the Gypsy to be on Bighorn 764 ?

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 11th September 2022 at 08:00. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
Old 11th September 2022, 07:35   #815
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ410 View Post
I ended up fitting only a left side rear mirror on mine keeping the right one intact. My two cents on this is to get an omni left side mirror itself. .. The OEM mirror can be used vertically or horizontally as per convenience. .
So I went to Essar Automobiles MS spares outlet to get the Omni mirror. It was a 'peti-pack' piece - but to my dismay, the mirror surface is Flat !! So back to square one. Will check the Bolero mirrors next.

This one is a 3-hole mount type mirror, but looks to have a flat surface, which I dont want. I am also not sure if the door has 3 mount holes (the existing mirror sits on 2 mount points, and not sure if the third is hidden).
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-84701m75m10-36625489/

Boodmo also has this item listed, but no image available to check it further:
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-mirr...ew_lh-6788573/

Continuing with questions about mirrors: The IRVM is not adjustable for day/night. Which one should I get for this ?

Quote:
The current vehicle has a YJ Kit Apparently, does anyone know what a YJ Kit is ?.
I dont know, but Check out SwastikFabs website - they have this listed, but have not mentioned what it is about.

Which part of the ooru are you in ?

Last edited by condor : 11th September 2022 at 07:42.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 19:57   #816

Thanx Condor,

I did some more research and it looks like the YJ KIT is basically a Lift Kit which pops up the current vehicle about 5inches.
-
I'm in Hegde Nagar

Quote:
-

I was going through some information about Gear Ratios and Stuff, Is it Mechanically OK for the Gypsy to be on Bighorn 764 ?

Thank you for any advice you can give me.
Could anyone please help me decide if the Bighorn 764 is something that I can go for

Last edited by Aditya : 12th September 2022 at 07:00. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 15th September 2022, 16:06   #817
Distinguished - BHPian

My first screw up on the Gypsy: the horn pad contacts.

The horn has been working initially on each drive, and after sometime stops working. May or may not resume after this happens.

So I opened the horn pad, and try to check what can be wrong. The contact system is such that there are two layers of plates, the lower one with a rectangular piece of copper, and when the horn is pressed, a protruding point on the lower side of the upper plate touches this copper piece. There are 3 such contact points between the two plates, at each end of the triangle shaped plates.

The three copper pieces have worn out where the contact happens.

Now when fiddling with the upper plate, something happened and the horn began to sound continuously. In haste, I tried to push the upper plate back in place, but broke a piece. You can see this piece separately in the pic.

This piece goes downward from the top right corner to possibly a circular metal contact plate, in such a way that it is always in contact with even when the steering is turned.

Name:  IMG_6130.JPG
Views: 519
Size:  123.9 KB

Not sure if a jugaad can be done for this.

Checked boodmo, and the upper plate costs about 1k. However, one catch is that the highlighted section in this is bent, and the one I have broken is quite straight.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-platecontact-16974720/

Name:  upper contact plate.JPG
Views: 499
Size:  25.8 KB

On the contrary, Parts big-boss has this for 88 only.

https://www.partsbigboss.in/horn-pat...-4-littal.html

Compare that to the full steering wheel, with both these contact plates is listed for about the same price.
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-whee...ring-39194436/

Any ideas, any one ?

Last edited by condor : 15th September 2022 at 16:19.
Old 15th September 2022, 16:15   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Compare that to the full steering wheel, with both these contact plates for about the same.
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-whee...ring-39194436/

Any ideas, any one ?
That just looks like an earthing strip, so shouldn't be an issue.
Old 15th September 2022, 16:26   #819
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
That just looks like an earthing strip, so shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks, but the catch as I see, is - it looks like it allows contact while steering wheel is turned.

Would you know which is the positive line / line going to the horn - the upper plate or lower plate there ? The broken piece is from the upper plate.

Last edited by condor : 15th September 2022 at 16:28.
Old 15th September 2022, 16:36   #820
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, but the catch as I see, is - it looks like it allows contact while steering wheel is turned.

Would you know which is the positive line / line going to the horn - the upper plate or lower plate there ? The broken piece is from the upper plate.
The bent strip is negative(ground). The upper plate is positive. The earthing plate on my MG410 broke eons ago, so my juggad is just to solder a piece of wire from the broken end to the metalic hub. Works great.
Old 15th September 2022, 16:52   #821
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The bent strip is negative(ground). The upper plate is positive. The earthing plate on my MG410 broke eons ago, so my juggad is just to solder a piece of wire from the broken end to the metalic hub. Works great.
From what I see here, the bent strip is connects the upper plate to a circular plate inside. Will check tomorrow with a multi-meter. (What happened was, when I tried to place that broken piece to touch the plate inside, there was a spark. Which makes me think that the upper plate could be the positive, while the lower contact plate is leading to the horn)

I doubt you would have pics of the jugaad you did ?

Last edited by condor : 15th September 2022 at 16:57.
Old 15th September 2022, 17:19   #822
BHPian

Quote:
From what I see here, the bent strip is connects the upper plate to a circular plate inside. Will check tomorrow with a multi-meter. (What happened was, when I tried to place that broken piece to touch the plate inside, there was a spark. Which makes me think that the upper plate could be the positive, while the lower contact plate is leading to the horn)

I doubt you would have pics of the jugaad you did ?
The entire plate assembly moves along with the hub so no issues with contact during turning. Even my positive is a juggad..He He.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...1&d=1663242406

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...1&d=1663242406
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-gypsy-horn1.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-gypsy-horn2.jpg  

keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 14:08   #823
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If you actually bought a Gypsy solely for the purpose you outlined, Im amazed. Because Id have lent you mine anytime for such utility focussed work!
Shankar, thank you ! Sincerely appreciate the offer, but the Gypsy gets used more often, and cant really say when I would need it. I have experimented with a crew-cab pickup, but found that too big. And single-cab pickups arent available for private registration. This is where the Gypsy fits in very well. Btw, I got stuck today in some mud but came out easily by engaging 4H. I remember a previous instance when the Storme had got stuck and had to get help, use stones and stuff to come out.

Quote:
Even my positive is a juggad..He He.
Thanks, Keroo. We have temporarily put in a Wagon-R steering that was lying idle with my friend. Will work on the issue to resolve it in a more permament way.
Old 20th September 2022, 06:53   #824
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could anyone please help me decide if the Bighorn 764 is something that I can go for
More than the possibility of using these, my question would be - Why do you want to go for these ?

Stock size is 205/70/ R15. My tyres are 215/75/R15 - a bare 5% increase in height. While the tyres run fine, there is a very minor fouling of the front bumper inner side by the tyre. From what I remember when driving Shankar's Gypsy - the ride is fine with stock size. Will check out his Gypsy again soon for this part, even though my tyres are not due for a change anytime soon.

When are you getting your Gypsy ? I could be coming to near your area in a couple of days.
Old 30th November 2022, 15:13   #825
BHPian

Fellow BHPians, any suggestions for servicing of a Gypsy in the Richmond Town/Viveknagar Area in Bangalore?

Most Viewed