Team-BHP - Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/51734-maruti-suzuki-gypsy-queries-8.html)

TEAM

My uncle who is 55 year old owns a 1993 MG 410 4WD.

He is on a lookout for entire gypsy body since the current body shell is in bad shape.
Any leads around Mumbai and pune or in Maharashtra would be fine with us.

Also is it possible to fit a electric Power Steering unit in a gypsy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverado
TEAM

My uncle who is 55 year old owns a 1993 MG 410 4W...

Sorry for being OT, but was curious to know why your uncle's age is relevant in this quest.

Cheers

Thanks for the help codelust.

I shall check out the vehicle with a mechanic and take it up from there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LithiumSunset (Post 2890723)
Sorry for being OT, but was curious to know why your uncle's age is relevant in this quest.

Cheers

:) No relevance at all, i just wanted to tell team that he still adores his Jeep even at this age and at a stage wherein its not easy for him to maintain it.

Also the mention of age helps to creates a certain image of the person, doesnt it?

Heck he is even ready to shell out 70k for a new body if he doesnt find one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverado

:) No relevance at all, i just wanted to tell team that he still adores his Jeep even at this age and at a stage wherein its not easy for him to maintain it.

Also the mention of age helps to creates a certain image of the person, doesnt it?

Heck he is even ready to shell out 70k for a new body if he doesnt find one.

How dare you call 55 as old. I know you must be a 25 something to say that. At that age anything above 50 seems old. Ask your uncle what he thinks. :)

Alas, this does reveal my age or does it?

Cheers and kudos to your young uncle.

Which model gypsy diffs are these ? The perches position are different in each .

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-dscn0929b.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by karizma9292 (Post 2988923)
Which model gypsy diffs are these ? The perches position are different in each ....

Guess they must be the narrow-track(pre-1992) and wide-track versions, hence different spring-perch positions. ~1992 was the year, when the wide-track version was launched.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Thunder (Post 2989088)
Guess they must be the narrow-track(pre-1992) and wide-track versions, hence different spring-perch positions. ~1992 was the year, when the wide-track version was launched.

But the lengths look the same and different perch positions , narrow track gypsys had lesser width like you said . I guess wide track gypsy was launched in 1994.

Hi,
I have a 1997 model - MG410W ( Wide track ) . i was told by MASS that the wrong part which was shipped was for Gypsy King MG413W.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gypsy_roadies (Post 2992677)
...i was told by MASS that the wrong part which was shipped was for Gypsy King MG413W.

From the pics, the "wrongly ordered" part seems to have a manufacturing defect...the leaf-spring 'restraining ridges' are missing/have not been welded on. Check the bottom of the right side of the axles.

The MASS could have just told you the truth!

I dont think there is any visible difference between the MG410W and MG413W axles. The difference is inside.

Gypsy gurus - how easy / difficult is it to swap a 1.3 lit carb engine of a Gypsy King with a 1.3 lit MPFI? What are the changes needed?

Follow up question - what is the feasibility of getting hold of a used MPFI engine? How much would a new one (ordered from MUL) cost?

thanks in advance....

Hi all, I need some advice:
1. my transfer case gear lever starts to vibrate between 55 - 70 kmph at 4th gear . Had the vehicle checked at MASS with self in situ during the inspection of couse but called no joy....transfer case mounts seem to be intact and nothing seems to be out of whack or coming loose.
2. "Clunking" sound when suddenly accelerating or decelerating on 1st and 2nd gears and sometimes when dumping the clutch quickly
....could it be more than normal backlash on the diff pinions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump-Stop (Post 3906951)
1. my transfer case gear lever starts to vibrate between 55 - 70 kmph at 4th gear . Had the vehicle checked at MASS with self in situ during the inspection of couse but called no joy....transfer case mounts seem to be intact and nothing seems to be out of whack or coming loose.
2. "Clunking" sound when suddenly accelerating or decelerating on 1st and 2nd gears and sometimes when dumping the clutch quickly

Get your differential star joints checked in both the cases..
Check ALL the u-joints, BTW do you observe vibration under deceleration?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump-Stop (Post 3906951)

Get your differential star joints checked in both the cases..
Check ALL the u-joints, BTW do you observe vibration under deceleration? If yes, then its definitely the mounts.
I'm not sure how you checked the mounts in MASS, you can get under the vehicle, grab the T-case and literally shake it . If it moves more than a little the mounts are bad.

MOD's please merge both the replies (delete the earlier one), not sure how it ended up as two replies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cool_dube (Post 3902112)
Gypsy gurus - how easy / difficult is it to swap a 1.3 lit carb engine of a Gypsy King with a 1.3 lit MPFI? What are the changes needed?

Follow up question - what is the feasibility of getting hold of a used MPFI engine? How much would a new one (ordered from MUL) cost?

thanks in advance....

If you are swapping the 1.3 cb to MPFI, you would need would be the upper portion of the the engine, like the intake, manifold, head and mainly the wiring. and most importantly the fuel tank, fuel pump also needs to be changed.

You can retain at-least 60% of your engine components and 50% of your wiring (Only the body wiring can be retained).. I'd suggest go for a whole wiring replacement in your case, saves a lot of wiring hiccups.

Cost depends on which part of the country you are and how good you are with getting a used engine. I think you'd get relative cheaper stuffs in Delhi and if you are really quite interested in this approach check with Aman (AutoAttitude) I think he is an Noida.

Edit: Looks like you are in Namma Bengaluru, parts is going to be a bit expensive.. but there are a lot of folks who work on Gypsy's here.. Pm me and I shall refer you to one, where my baby goes to service if in Bangalore.