Team-BHP - Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/51734-maruti-suzuki-gypsy-queries-9.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinn (Post 3906999)
Get your differential star joints checked in both the cases..
Check ALL the u-joints, BTW do you observe vibration under deceleration? If yes, then its definitely the mounts.
I'm not sure how you checked the mounts in MASS, you can get under the vehicle, grab the T-case and literally shake it . If it moves more than a little the mounts are bad.

MOD's please merge both the replies (delete the earlier one), not sure how it ended up as two replies.

Thanks Amrth,

Well I did give the T/C a good shake, but it didnt budge more then a few millimeters. And yes the lever vibrates too as you drop below 65kmph on the way down.

Anyway have already purchased spare mounts just incase, as it could be broken mounts even though the t/c seems rock solid.

Brdgs
Ronnie.

I have a 1991 model Gypsy 410.
The engine has been done up completely and is great to drive. However the transfer case hums like crazy ad I think it is shot up.
Is the transfer case the same for the 410 and the 413 ?
Also, it has a 4 speed gear box. can I replace it with a 413 gearbox?
Please advise.
Thanks
Ashok

P.S. Can Gypsy gurus from Chennai let me know if the present transfer case be re-conditioned? Would also appreciate if you could let me know who could do it in Chennai.

Would it be possible to find out the price of a new Gypsy King 1.3 in 2000? One of my friends wants to re-register his second hand Gypsy King and the RTO people are asking for this information. They want to know the original invoice price that would have been paid in 2000.

It would be great if anyone can help. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPaulV (Post 3931500)
Would it be possible to find out the price of a new Gypsy King 1.3 in 2000? One of my friends wants to re-register his second hand Gypsy King and the RTO people are asking for this information. They want to know the original invoice price that would have been paid in 2000.

It would be great if anyone can help. Thanks!

Paul - I faced the same issue while trying to re-register my MH-registered Gypsy in KA. It is a '98 model and obviously I did not have the original invoice with me. RTO folks did create some fuss but then I managed to get them to provide a 'projection' based on current road-tax value and depreciation. However, for that I had to get hold of the current price list - you can get it from any of the Maruti showrooms.

I suspect that I ended up paying higher road-tax than I would have had to, if I had the original invoice. But then, I did not have any other option.

Hope this helps!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinn (Post 3906999)
Get your differential star joints checked in both the cases..
Check ALL the u-joints, BTW do you observe vibration under deceleration? If yes, then its definitely the mounts.
I'm not sure how you checked the mounts in MASS, you can get under the vehicle, grab the T-case and literally shake it . If it moves more than a little the mounts are bad.

MOD's please merge both the replies (delete the earlier one), not sure how it ended up as two replies.

Thanks for the input Twinn. I have personally checked the mounts by moving the t-case and that does seem to be the case. Perhaaps its the u joints. Will have a look.

Brdgs
Ronnie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump-Stop (Post 3949219)
Thanks for the input Twinn. I have personally checked the mounts by moving the t-case and that does seem to be the case. Perhaaps its the u joints. Will have a look..

I'm sorry, I dint get what you meant.. Did you mean the Mounts are bad or good?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinn (Post 3950352)
I'm sorry, I dint get what you meant.. Did you mean the Mounts are bad or good?

That was a typo error. What I meant was that I did give the t case a shake but there was NO discernable movement , so I guess the mounts are OK.

U joints my be the culprit.
.Could backlash on the pinions also be a possible cause ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump-Stop (Post 3950453)
That was a typo error. What I meant was that I did give the t case a shake but there was NO discernable movement , so I guess the mounts are OK.

U joints my be the culprit.
.Could backlash on the pinions also be a possible cause ?

Usually when you have a slag in joints, you will feel it when you accelerate.. But your case sounded more like the mounts, Since you have the original mounts already in hand, why don't you get them on?

BTW what did you mean by "backlash on the pinions".. Got confused again stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump-Stop (Post 3950453)

Does not hurt getting the GB mounts changed - cost is around ~300 INR if I am not mistaken. I was facing extreme vibrations during pickup in any gear and this was traced down to worn out GB mounts.

Please note that I speak for my '98 model carb King, not sure if it is any different for the MPFI version.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinn (Post 3950961)

BTW what did you mean by "backlash on the pinions".. Got confused again stupid:

No I should have been more elaborate. Pinion and wheel gear located on the diffs have a certain backlash (think clearance), too less of which can cause problems due to the gear expanding due to heat and jamming during operation. However if the backlash is excessive, then you can get whirring or clunking noises.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump-Stop (Post 3951730)
No I should have been more elaborate. Pinion and wheel gear located on the diffs have a certain backlash (think clearance), too less of which can cause problems due to the gear expanding due to heat and jamming during operation. However if the backlash is excessive, then you can get whirring or clunking noises.

Got it, you meant the Pinion Gear! I'm not sure if that would cause transfer case/ GB vibrations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump-Stop (Post 3951730)
Pinion and wheel gear located on the diffs have a certain backlash (think clearance), too less of which can cause problems due to the gear expanding due to heat and jamming during operation. However if the backlash is excessive, then you can get whirring or clunking noises.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinn (Post 3951738)
Got it, you meant the Pinion Gear! I'm not sure if that would cause transfer case/ GB vibrations.

You answered your own question above (in bold) - this will cause a "clunk" sound every time you release the clutch suddenly instead of easing it up. My Gypsy has this "feature" and my mech says it is better to leave it this way as opposed to tightening it, which might cause serious issues.

Sorry if I missed this, when exactly do you get the sound? Is it only while accelerating/decelerating or cruising as well?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cool_dube (Post 3951916)

Sorry if I missed this, when exactly do you get the sound? Is it only while accelerating/decelerating or cruising as well?

Only when changing gears, or undet
sudden acceleration or deceleration in lower (read 1st or 2nd)gears.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump-Stop (Post 3952300)
Only when changing gears, or undet
sudden acceleration or deceleration in lower (read 1st or 2nd)gears.

At the outset, it sounds like a GB mount issue. Get it changed and check. Has the GB been opened / serviced in the recent past?

Folks, I am planning to replace my King's OEM front seats with more comfortable ones. Any pointers? I would prefer something which is a clean fit, without any jugaad.

Thanks in advance...