Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2016, 17:53   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I have been trying to get hold of OE Bolero mirrors but none of the M&M dealers here seem to have them in stock Can I order these online? I tried searching in eBay and Amazon but to no avail.
Recently I bought the bolero mirrors for my newly painted gypsy and it didn't fit. I had to drill holes in the body which felt like a nightmare. I have now settled for the original one and yes it doesn't look catchy. However Bolero mirrors are easily available in automobile shops and check wether they will fit or not before payment
Raul258 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 19:34   #197
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul258 View Post
I have now settled for the original one
Did you manage to get an original one for LHS as well?
Old 24th October 2016, 20:05   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Did you manage to get an original one for LHS as well?
Yes it is easily available in motor markets.. costs rs 60 only. I haven't fitted it yet because as I have to drill there.
Old 25th October 2016, 15:20   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it is easily available in motor markets.. costs rs 60 only. I haven't fitted it yet because as I have to drill there.
Great! Can you please post pics of the set, if you don't mind? I am unable to get these on eBay or Amazon.
Old 25th October 2016, 15:51   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Great! Can you please post pics of the set, if you don't mind? I am unable to get these on eBay or Amazon.
Don't have a better picture now as I'm out of station I hope this helps. The RHS mirrors are fitted
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-1477390812654.jpg  

Old 25th October 2016, 15:57   #201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Ask / search for old maruti omni mirror set, those came with this type of attachment.
Old 31st October 2016, 11:00   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't have a better picture now as I'm out of station I hope this helps. The RHS mirrors are fitted
Can you please send me a close-up of the LHS one which you have procured?
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 21:41   #203
Senior - BHPian

I somehow feel my Gypsy's rolling resistance (in neutral) is more than my Alto. On a slight incline my Alto rolls (in neutral) but Gypsy would do so only on a steeper incline. Is this by design or an issue?
Old 15th November 2016, 17:46   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I somehow feel my Gypsy's rolling resistance (in neutral) is more than my Alto. On a slight incline my Alto rolls (in neutral) but Gypsy would do so only on a steeper incline. Is this by design or an issue?
The 4x4 transmission has more rolling resistance than a 4x2, that is why some vehicles use free wheeling hubs - to reduce the transmission resistance, otherwise the front wheels will be driving the front transmission all the way to the transfer box.

Last edited by Aroy : 15th November 2016 at 17:47.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 03:04   #205
BHPian

If the gypsy is for keeps, then worth investing in Qualis mirrors. They are INR 900 each but will not get loose, rattle, vibrate or deform like Bolero mirrors. Also offer excellent adjustability and vision. you can get these at any Toyota dealership

The OE mirrors of the gypsy are trash and dont even bother buying the super cheap van passenger side mirrors...
satan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 15:53   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The 4x4 transmission has more rolling resistance than a 4x2, that is why some vehicles use free wheeling hubs - to reduce the transmission resistance, otherwise the front wheels will be driving the front transmission all the way to the transfer box.
Valid point. I guess that might be the reason for the difference in "feel" here. The Gypsy comes without FWH which means that front transmission / transfer case is always "live", thereby increasing the rolling resistance to an extent.

Any other thoughts from anyone else on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
If the gypsy is for keeps, then worth investing in Qualis mirrors. They are INR 900 each but will not get loose, rattle, vibrate or deform like Bolero mirrors. Also offer excellent adjustability and vision. you can get these at any Toyota dealership.

The OE mirrors of the gypsy are trash and dont even bother buying the super cheap van passenger side mirrors...
Completely agree that the OE mirrors are quite rudimentary when compared to some of the good ones out there. However, I somehow feel they go best with the looks of the Gypsy and all others - including the hugely popular Bolero ones - look like add-ons. Again, just my opinion. Let's see if I am able to get hold of the LHS OE soon - if not, I might just go for Bolero or Qualis ones.
Old 16th November 2016, 16:20   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Valid point. I guess that might be the reason for the difference in "feel" here. The Gypsy comes without FWH which means that front transmission / transfer case is always "live", thereby increasing the rolling resistance to an extent.

Any other thoughts from anyone else on this?

The FW hubs were discontinued by Maruti back in 1995 for one very simple reason - Cost. At INR 16k a pair for the OE Aisin they aren't cheap (as they are Jap manufactured and imported) but they do serve a purpose as mentioned by many others on the forum. Again, its a question of investing in your rig and many here will shy away citing various reasons like "keeping things original" or "forgetting to lock them when offroading", etc. There are cheaper ones available from Warn, AVM, Superwinch etc but their quality is very average as the locking mechanism will clog up with muck over a period of time unless regulary maintained.

So its really upto you whether or not you want to go for them. Best to drive a gypsy that has them fitted and feel the difference in the drive.
Old 16th November 2016, 18:55   #208
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Any inputs on installing Power Steering on an old Gypsy King 1.3 Mpfi would be much appreciated.
Im in the process of buying an old Stock Gypsy King 1.3 Mpfi just for my personal use and would like to consider the modification to have Power steering on it just for a little extra comfort.
Old 16th November 2016, 22:44   #209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Any inputs on installing Power Steering on an old Gypsy King 1.3 Mpfi would be much appreciated.
Best option is to source original unit from abroad (Thailand), rest need too much of modification and zap power. Another option is see if and EPS unit from an old zen can be fixed at column end. Much lesser modification required than going full hydraulic.

Honestly not really worth the trouble. Steering assist is needed only at parking speeds on a Gypsy.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 05:39   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Im in the process of buying an old Stock Gypsy King 1.3 Mpfi just for my personal use and would like to consider the modification to have Power steering on it just for a little extra comfort.
Shankar, If things go well my friend might be picking up a Gypsy with a EPS system already installed. I test drove it last Sunday and it worked fine albeit a little overservo-ed feeling if one is used to driving a non PS gypsy. You are welcome to come and test drive the same if we pick it up. Please let me know an easy way to contact you if you would like to. Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks