Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2017, 11:19   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
I would like to keep a dedicated device for navigation
Why don't you get a GPS unit from Garmin or TomTom?

Quote:
A question on car mat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul258 View Post
Well, I am exactly in the same position. My new mats got torn recently and are dusty always
This is what I got for mine. Slightly on the expensive side but looks smashing as well as absorbs all the dust. Should be available at any 3M car care outlet.
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 11:49   #362
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I would suggest look at mats like these.
Solidly durable.
I am using a set like this in my Gypsy.
They are available on the e
Com sites as also at Tyre shops - I saw the same set recently at Tyre Empire in HSR Layout.
And they are perfect for the Gypsy and look great as well.
Of course, if you really wish to, you can insulate the floor additionally by using Yoga mats cut to fit as I had suggested before.
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1493273946.067216.jpg
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 16:05   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A question on car mat:
I need something really good for the gypsy, the current one is really poor, tears at a light pull, and keeps all the dust at surface.

Please recommend something
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul258 View Post
Well, I am exactly in the same position. My new mats got torn recently and are dusty always. (No idea where so much dust comes from in a hard top)
What I have in my mind is to cover the firewall and transmission tunnel with a good insulator and stick those carpets over it. For the floor, I'm still in the hunt for a durable and easy to clean material.
I guess the gurus could shed some light here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
This is what I got for mine. Slightly on the expensive side but looks smashing as well as absorbs all the dust. Should be available at any 3M car care outlet.
As cool_dube mentioned, the 3M ones are quite expensive. As a cheaper alternative, you guys can also try the DIY route, something like this - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...loor-mats.html
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 17:14   #364
Senior - BHPian

Most people that have used a Gypsy for some years get to understand that it isn't worth spending any money on Gyspy interiors. Nothing can hide that it is a bare bones vehicle and little done inside will change that, so one might as well save the money. Except perhaps on an A/c in a location that needs that, and provided that this is competently done.

All it takes to effectively close the vent near the front glass to prevent water and rubbish ingress is scotch tape, applied over and over a few times before every monsoon. As one example.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 18:52   #365
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Most people that have used a Gypsy for some years get to understand that it isn't worth spending any money on Gyspy interiors. Nothing can hide that it is a bare bones vehicle and little done inside will change that, so one might as well save the money. Except perhaps on an A/c in a location that needs that, and provided that this is competently done.

All it takes to effectively close the vent near the front glass to prevent water and rubbish ingress is scotch tape, applied over and over a few times before every monsoon. As one example.

Yes, but spending a little on small comforts like a centre arm rest (Rs 700) and decent thick rubber mats (Rs 3000) isnt so expensive.
Nor is it expensive to install self retracting seat belts (Rs 1800) like I have done in my Gypsy.
AC of course, along with PS etc takes the expense to a different level. Some Rs 30K odd!
The blocking off of the front vent can be effectively done the way I did it. Metal plate welded on, tinkered, smoothed and painted over for a seamless look and feel. Cost may have been about Rs 1200-1500 if I were to put an actual value to it because I did it along with some bigger tinkering and painting work on the rusty bits in the front of the vehicle beneath the dashboard fascia.
(Whether it works or not, I will know in the coming monsoon!)

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1493299207.286948.jpg
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1493299190.260723.jpg
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1493299120.881245.jpg
Attachment 1633854Attachment 1633855
Attachment 1633856
Attachment 1633857

Here's the metal work for the vent blocker...
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1493299615.708981.jpg
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1493299627.997902.jpg
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1493299640.962153.jpg
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1493299650.876235.jpg
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1493299660.814411.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 1st May 2017 at 08:33. Reason: Merging back to back posts
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 17:59   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
AC of course, along with PS etc takes the expense to a different level. Some Rs 30K odd!
I think you will find that an original PS unit alone will cost you 45K and the A/C another 25-30K depending on the compressor you use. That's what I have been quoted anyway.

On another note can anyone advise the cost of alloys and larger tyres for the Gypsy? Good quality stuff.

Regards,
SS
Old 28th April 2017, 19:16   #367
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
I think you will find that an original PS unit alone will cost you 45K and the A/C another 25-30K depending on the compressor you use. That's what I have been quoted anyway.

On another note can anyone advise the cost of alloys and larger tyres for the Gypsy? Good quality stuff.

Regards,
SS
I don't want PS in my Gypsy.
Nor am I interested in AC.
My old 970 CC Gypsy had an aftermarket Sanden 505 Compressor and still it used to suffer with lack of power whenever the AC was on! At that time the AC apparently cost 10K to fit. This was in 2002-2003. Which is why I was led to speculate that the new AC now would be around 15K.

I was told by a friend that there is a chap in Indira Nagar Bangalore who imports Suzuki WagonR and Jimny Power Steering Units from Thailand/ Malaysia and fits them into the Indian Gypsys. He quoted around 15K, which was why I speculated the price.

In ref Alloys - there is a chap here in HSR Layout - Malnad Auto - he has two Gypsys with Snorkels, monster mud tyres and all the rest of the off road junkie stuff. These Gypsys both have HUGE white Alloy Wheels (they are very fat, though they are in the same 15 inch size as the stock wheels) - Off Road type. He mentioned that each wheel may cost about 10,000/- and each of those monster tyres may cost around 12000/-.

Here is a picture - not so clear because I wasn't really focussing on the wheels and tyres.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-img_3002.jpg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 28th April 2017 at 19:17.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 18:13   #368
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
i think you have been mislead . Goodluck in any case!!

Well just to put this straight. It works so far.
This fix as recommended by several here as well as Mr Nagaraj of Bro's Garage HSR and carried out by us, seems to have worked.
No ingress of water in the footwells.
Today in the rainy Bangalore weather I took a 5 Km drive around the innards of HSR. The rain was not super heavy but was driving hard enough and no water leaked into the footwells.
The newer Type2 higher speed, stronger windscreen wipers also make a big difference in the rains compared with the old Type 1 wipers.

So lets see what next. As the monsoon progresses onward we need to see what the bigger rain will bring.
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1493469715.567323.jpg
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1493469802.365261.jpg
Old 30th April 2017, 06:49   #369
Senior - BHPian

For what the vent brings in, this will obviously work, though overkill.

The Gypsy problem I have not been able to solve is rain ingress while driving in the rain. One either accepts a fully soaked right side - left for the passenger - or wears a rain jacket while driving. Keeping the windows rolled up only works for very short drives because everything fogs up inside.

This is perhaps another advantage of A/C, but then one loses the "being in touch with nature" that is such big part of the charm of the car, particularly on country roads, in fair weather or foul. Just remember to dress appropriately!

Last edited by Sawyer : 30th April 2017 at 06:51.
Old 30th April 2017, 08:51   #370
BANNED

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
For what the vent brings in, this will obviously work, though overkill.

The Gypsy problem I have not been able to solve is rain ingress while driving in the rain. One either accepts a fully soaked right side - left for the passenger - or wears a rain jacket while driving. Keeping the windows rolled up only works for very short drives because everything fogs up inside.

This is perhaps another advantage of A/C, but then one loses the "being in touch with nature" that is such big part of the charm of the car, particularly on country roads, in fair weather or foul. Just remember to dress appropriately!

In this I agree.
Given the boxy nature of the car, leaving the windows open when it rains definitely means a good wetting. Irrespective.

Now, suppose Im driving even my High Tech Yeti in the rain with the windows open, it definitely warrants a good wetting.

Like you said, the AC installation will help and one can keep the windows rolled up then.

But why ever does one buy a Gypsy, if not to enjoy nature in the elemental rawness; which of course, is no longer an option for us cossetted, molly-coddled, city dwellers who generally drive enclosed climate controlled cabins on wheels!

For me it takes me back to the simpler, less luxurious times while growing up in the hills in the 1970's and 1980's and 1990's when we had no more than the old Fiats, Ambassadors and Mahindra Jeeps, (and the occasional Gypsy as well), none of which ever had either air conditioning or climate control.

My Gypsy (including all its limitations and faults) is meant to keep me firmly rooted to the earth, nature, raw old petrol engines and a certain 'spartan rigour' of experience.

Thereby to my mind, helping me to re-live my lost uncomplicated happy youth, in the time of complex middle life; rediscovering the pleasure of non electronic simplicity in an increasingly electronically controlled world!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 30th April 2017 at 08:55.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 18:41   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
But why ever does one buy a Gypsy, if not to enjoy nature in the elemental rawness; which of course, is no longer an option for us cossetted, molly-coddled, city dwellers who generally drive enclosed climate controlled cabins on wheels!

For me it takes me back to the simpler, less luxurious times while growing up in the hills in the 1970's and 1980's and 1990's when we had no more than the old Fiats, Ambassadors and Mahindra Jeeps, (and the occasional Gypsy as well), none of which ever had either air conditioning or climate control.
If your defintion of elemental rawness is exhaust fumes of the ever choked outer ring road combined with the fresh froth from Bellandur lake, the argument of driving without an aircon holds good . I want my climate controlled cabin so that I make it to the hills alive to enjoy whatever is left of the nature.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 21:12   #372
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
If your defintion of elemental rawness is exhaust fumes of the ever choked outer ring road combined with the fresh froth from Bellandur lake, the argument of driving without an aircon holds good . I want my climate controlled cabin so that I make it to the hills alive to enjoy whatever is left of the nature.

Im talking Nandi Hills, Chamundi Hills, Coorg, Ooty, Hessarghatta, Kanakapura, Bannerghatta and all those lovely tucked away places around Bangalore where one can enjoy a Gypsy to the fullest.
For the Urban Jungle, I ve got my Yeti.
Old 1st May 2017, 06:48   #373
Senior - BHPian

In Pune fortunately, if I make an early morning start, I can be in many of the surrounding hills in an hour of clean driving. For the urban jungle, my vehicle of choice is Nano. The one problem with that is it takes a lot more defensive driving that is completely unnecessary in the Gypsy! But in every other way, it is THE car for Indian cities.
Old 3rd May 2017, 15:44   #374
Senior - BHPian

The 4WD light stays on, despite the car being in 2H. What could the issue be? I've disconnected and reconnected the TC case sensor, but to no avail.
Old 3rd May 2017, 15:53   #375
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
I've disconnected and reconnected the TC case sensor, but to no avail.
You mean to say inspite of disconnecting the connector light remains On? If so you would need to check the wiring, somewhere power is leaking into the circuit and causing light to glow.

Most Viewed