Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2018, 20:33   #466
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Wow!
You’re living my dream. Hills. Mountains. Driving an old tough Gypsy. The sound of cow bells at dusk.
All I would need are a couple of doggies or even just one, all my lovely books, some music and an Internet connection.
Life would be good. I can write, read, eat and sleep.
Please put out pics of your Gypsy!
You can find most of my Gypsy story here
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-v...ng-places.html (1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places)
Old 28th October 2018, 20:35   #467
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Thanks Sawyer. Are the symptoms observed by you similar to what I have listed above?
Try a quick light rev between gears while changing especially down....
Old 6th November 2018, 21:21   #468
BANNED

Does anyone here know the general factory brand new standard engine compression figures for a brand new Gypsy 1.3 MPFI King?
Old 6th November 2018, 21:41   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone here know the general factory brand new standard engine compression figures for a brand new Gypsy 1.3 MPFI King?
Shankar, the 1.3 ltr. G13GBB engine's compression ratio is 9.0+/-0.2 so basically it may range from 8.8:1 to 9.2:1.
Vikram Arya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 05:05   #470
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Shankar, the 1.3 ltr. G13GBB engine's compression ratio is 9.0+/-0.2 so basically it may range from 8.8:1 to 9.2:1.
My Garage tells me that the pressure readings are 170-180 range in my old 2005 Gypsy. And according to the garage owner this is acceptable for an elderly engine like this.
Your opinion?
Old 7th November 2018, 08:43   #471
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My Garage tells me that the pressure readings are 170-180 range in my old 2005 Gypsy. And according to the garage owner this is acceptable for an elderly engine like this.
Your opinion?
First of all, congratulations on your new Gypsy. The pressure readings quoted by your garage seem perfectly fine to me. Here are a few values for some Maruti engines:

ZEN MPFI 16V G Series
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-20181107_083331.jpg

M800 F8B 6V MPFI
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-20181107_083406.jpg

M800 F8D 12V MPFI
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-20181107_083433.jpg

The Values for your Gypsy are fine if a wild guess is taken. For exact values, BHPian DrAnto can be of help as he owns a Gypsy Service manual: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4469104 (My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King)

Last edited by Leoshashi : 7th November 2018 at 08:50.
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 10:40   #472
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
First of all, congratulations on your new Gypsy. The pressure readings quoted by your garage seem perfectly fine to me. Here are a few values for some Maruti engines:

ZEN MPFI 16V G Series
Attachment 1816036

M800 F8B 6V MPFI
Attachment 1816037

M800 F8D 12V MPFI
Attachment 1816038

The Values for your Gypsy are fine if a wild guess is taken. For exact values, BHPian DrAnto can be of help as he owns a Gypsy Service manual: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4469104 (My Dinosaur: Brand new 2017 Maruti Gypsy King)

Thanks a lot.
Mine is an old 2005 Gypsy bought recently used from a dealer.
So far so good.
We are slowly taking time to restore it to the best possible condition so that I can drive it about for a few years.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 23:19   #473
BANNED

The poor old adopted beast after its first bout of restoration work. All oils changed. Engine Flush done. Various smoothening additives added in the engine and both gearboxes.
There is a lot more of work to be accomplished including some tinkering and things.

But it is slowly coming back to life....
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-91d7e0bcd04b4c498252948d5a8c6239.jpeg  

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-cff7c496ba92435cbd5e3f56d7106368.jpeg  

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-9be50c6fd7e1485b96a8c536fa6febec.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 23:28   #474
BHPian

It looks great Shankar.

Looks like a new paint job as well. White rims are looking classy. If you don't mind sharing; how much did the paint job cost? Was any work done on the suspension?
Old 8th November 2018, 23:53   #475
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
It looks great Shankar.

Looks like a new paint job as well. White rims are looking classy. If you don't mind sharing; how much did the paint job cost? Was any work done on the suspension?
It was bought in this Green shade and Khaki top. No paint job done at my end.

I ll say one thing for the Gypsy - it is a highly photogenic beast!

The white wheel rims and suspension setup including the leaves and Monroe Gas Shocks and the AISIN FWH hubs etc were a straight lift off and switch over from my White Gypsy and placed on this Green one - because I wanted a stock Gypsy. I had actually had those white rims painted in 2016 at a price of about Rs 650 per rim....even my own Goodyear Wrangler Tyres I hijacked from the old White Gypsy and shod onto this Green Gyp.

Originally the Green Gypsy (when I saw it) had CFLs and Shackles and fat tyres and off road rims etc, none of which I wanted.

The dealer/ previous owner had re done the bonnet paint for me because that was earlier in a mess.

Otherwise, I have only begun the restoration work now, by getting things like the under chassis bump stops fixed, cleaning the throttle body, adjusting the timing, engine flush, radiator flush, changing all the coolant and oils and stuff. Ive gone for Fully Synth Shell Helix 5W40 for the engine plus XADO revitalising additive to restore the metal bits.
And Liquimoly additive to the main gearbox plus Xado Gel for the 4WD gearbox. Both differentials oils and both gearbox oils were changed to Shell Spirax. I changed the broken engine cooling fan. And did a little bit of electrical part changes like the lights and lenses etc. I also chucked out the old gear box bearings which were noisy and changed them over to new OEM ones. We changed the clutch releaser bearing too.

We have to do some tinker work beneath the Gypsy because the cross sections beneath the running boards etc are rusted. We also intend to change the exhaust to a sporty mildly growly one.

So far so good.

Basically the only reason I went for this Green Gypsy was the KA registration because my White Gypsy had an UP Reg and I wasn’t able to get the NOC. Of course, I always loved the Green and Khaki combo much more than the plain white. I ve had three plain white Gypsys in my life so far in the last 21 years. This is the only time I ve actually found and managed to get a Green and Khaki.

But I have a lot of work left to do, before it is brought back to near-scratch.

Lots of money to be spent as well, because things are expensive and Gypsys tend to eat a hole in one’s pocket as one keeps fiddling with them....
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-769aebb149cc47b7bd25ee33e4d29495.jpeg  

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-3bb8c5ac08df4b5ba5ca1fea7dd7f0e6.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 9th November 2018 at 00:01.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 10:11   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Inherited this 86 Gypsy, and this is what it has. Looked for the make on the compressor but couldn't find one. Hope it helps.
Super stuff. This is OE. Do you have more pics of the engine bay setup?
Old 9th November 2018, 16:41   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
Super stuff. This is OE. Do you have more pics of the engine bay setup?
Your post got me to move my backside and start the poor thing after a week, so thanks for the push.

The tool box to the right is a something that all the family Gypsy's had made. I think the rest of the engine compartment is stock, except for the headlights that are running on 90/100 bulbs.

P.S: The washer reservoir was opened by me for a top up.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-gype1.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-gype2.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-gype3.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-gype4.jpg  

keroo1099 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 17:08   #478
BHPian

Quote:
The tool box to the right is a something that all the family Gypsy's had made. I think the rest of the engine compartment is stock, except for the headlights that are running on 90/100 bulbs.
The engine bay looks neat and everything is in its right place. You should be proud. The radiator looks a bit worse for wear (is that coolant on the top. I think I see a green tinge). Other than that do get the HT leads (from distributor to spark plugs)
and the coil and lead checked. They don't show signs of wear but one needs a multimeter to check if the current supply is interference free. Do check the rubber hoses for fray and wear. P.S. MGP/SGP hoses may be a bit expensive than aftermarket hoses but the rubber quality is much, much better. They offer much better value for money
Other than that I cannot see anything that the engine needs.
antihero is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 17:21   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero View Post
The engine bay looks neat and everything is in its right place. You should be proud.

Other than that I cannot see anything that the engine needs.
The old girl has done close to 100K so is bound to have a few issues, luckily none very serious. The car has been maintained by a close friend so I know I don't have to worry about parts for now but might just do a few minor mods to make it more reliable. I know how to tune the carb, set the tappets and adjust the timing so all is good for now.
Old 9th November 2018, 17:42   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your post got me to move my backside and start the poor thing after a week, so thanks for the push.

P.S: The washer reservoir was opened by me for a top up.
Looks nice. The AC seems to share parts with the Zen I think. Will check my on my Zen as well. If it matches, maybe my Gypsy can get some Zen parts for aircon.

Does your vehicle also have boosted brakes?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks