Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2018, 21:52   #511
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Hi Shankar,
That's a sweet looking Gypsy. Very subtle and clean.
I just love that British racing green'ish colour on anything, especially on cars, bikes, and English cafe themes.. I remember your Bolero too has a similar shade.
Yes Jeeva. That old Dark Green Bolero of 13-14 years ago. Absolutely. I sold it more than 10 years ago. Lovely jeep that was.

This Gypsy is still undergoing a lot of work. Nowhere near complete.
Long way to go yet.
Old 29th November 2018, 14:30   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post

r steering would be good to have and I'm looking at multiple options for the same. Looking for inputs from Gypsy veterans here.
Few tips based on past experience.
For Baleno engine transplant:
1. Get hold of entire running car and and use parts, it turns out cheaper. As still get half the money in scrap
2. Use radiator, AC, PS pump etc. from Baleno.
3. Use meters etc. from Baleno After some cutting they fit in gypsy

Power Steering: go for original PS or PS from Vitara.

PS: Please keep 2-3 transfer case mountings as spare, This is the weakest link in gypsy (If you offroad).

Regards,
Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2018, 13:34   #513
BHPian

How bad is it to use different tire sizes on a gypsy at the same time? I saw one running with three 195/r15 LT 106Q and one 215/75r15.
Old 26th December 2018, 07:58   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsi View Post
How bad is it to use different tire sizes on a gypsy at the same time? I saw one running with three 195/r15 LT 106Q and one 215/75r15.
You have not mentioned the aspect ratio of one the tires (195/??R15).

The rolling diameter of a typical 215/75R15 tire is 27.8 inches. The only scenario that may result in the minimum problem will be when the rolling diameter of this other tire is anywhere close to 27.8 inches.

Assuming that the other tire is 195/80R15 even then the rolling diameter will be 28.3 inches and that means a difference of a good half an inch.

It is an absolute no-no. A lot can go wrong here.

It will hard on the spider gears of the differential that this unmatched pair is on as one of the shafts is spinning faster than the other. Therefore the differential in question is always going to act permanently as if the vehicle is taking a turn (that's what happens when the vehicle goes around a curve).

In 4WD it may result in catastrophic failure of any of the driveline components and will also bind your transmission.

Last but not the least one of the tires is an LT tire that means a light truck tire that will behave differently than the 215/75R15 which is a P (passenger) metric tire and is a lighter/softer tire.

Basically, you're looking at a potentially problematic situation that can and must be avoided by replacing this odd sized tire in question. If it is only a question of a few kilometers then its different but otherwise all the four tires on a 4WD vehicle must be of the same type, same tread pattern and size unless of course, you're driving a high-end sports car some which have a broader tire with a lower aspect ratio on the rear axles than the tires on the front axle to cope up with the brutal acceleration that some of these cars are capable of.
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 09:22   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
You have not mentioned the aspect ratio of one the tires (195/??R15).

This was all that was mentioned there. 195/r15 LT 106Q. Check out the pic below:

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-20181225_132954.jpg
Old 26th December 2018, 09:39   #516
BHPian

Quote:
This was all that was mentioned there. 195/r15 LT 106Q. Check out the pic below:

Attachment 1830932
Well, that's a first.

It looks like an 80 or an 85 aspect tire however whatever it may be, my earlier comment still stands and therefore having an odd sized tire on a 4WD vehicle (and 99.9% of cars) is a bad idea, period.
Old 27th December 2018, 11:48   #517
Senior - BHPian

Normally tyres with no aspect ratio default to 80 for LT and 100 for truck/Bus. This tyre is 80 aspect ratio. To calculate the diameter convert 195 to inches, multiply by 0.8 and add it twice to the rim diameter (15)
Tyre height = 6.14 x 2 = 12.28
Rim = 15.00
Diameter = 27.28
for Radial 215/75r15
Tyre height = 6.3484 x 2 = 12.7
Rim = 15.00
Diameter = 27.7
That is about 0.52 inches difference or 1.9%.
This should not normally be a problem if tyres are same type. But in your case one is LT and three are Radial which have very different behavior, so it is better to let the LT tyre go and replace it with radials.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 20:10   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post

In 4WD it may result in catastrophic failure of any of the driveline components and will also bind your transmission.
Though I agree with you,
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-v...ml#post1619505 (Harjeev's 2006 Suzuki Gypsy MG413)
cant help but post this picture!
https://www.tafe.com/tractors/tafe/TAFE-9502-4WD.php

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-161910.jpg

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th December 2018 at 20:14. Reason: Uploading picture via our attachment system...
Old 28th December 2018, 12:12   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
In vehicles where there is a size difference between tyres, manufactures change crown pinion ratio to compensate.
These tractors have different crown pinion ratio in front and rear unlike rest of the 4WDs.

Shubhendra
Old 30th December 2018, 00:00   #520
BHPian

Below are two photos, one of a rear output shaft of gypsy TC and the second of its sleeve. MASS guys are saying that the gear teeth on both have worn out and need replacement. However, on close inspection of the two, what appears normal wear and tear to them is simply the default gear design according to me .

Rear output shaft. See the encircled portions of teeth:
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-annexure4.jpg

Sleeve teeth ends:
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-annexure3.jpg

They have been diagnosing an issue of the 4x4 lever being stuck while shifting from 4H to 2H. Unable to find anything since a week, they have now come up with this . Experts, please comment.
Old 31st December 2018, 02:46   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Below are two photos, one of a rear output shaft of gypsy TC and the second of its sleeve. MASS guys are saying that the gear teeth on both have worn out and need replacement. However, on close inspection of the two, what appears normal wear and tear to them is simply the default gear design according to me
===========
They have been diagnosing an issue of the 4x4 lever being stuck while shifting from 4H to 2H. Unable to find anything since a week, they have now come up with this ...
Most automotive gear sets are made of carburized hardened steel which is designed to outlast the life of the vehicle.

A transfer case is invariably engaged extremely rarely; 0.05% would be very optimistic (100 kms of 4H/4L in 200,000 kms). If you're a regular off-roader even then 0.1 to 0.2% of TC case usage would be a fair estimate.

TC gear teeth wear will not occur even if let's say 4H is left engaged for a prolonged period.

I'm no expert however from whatever I can make out in the pictures there is no apparent wear. I must also mention that a close examination of the gear teeth would be in order.

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-tc.jpg
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-tc-2.jpg

The pattern on the rear output shaft seems to be the design and not a result of any abnormal wear however I have come across two different looking pictures so can not say for sure. The gear teeth ends on the sleeve seem to be okay for the most part however as I mentioned earlier a closer examination by a transmission expert would be required.

A couple of suggestions:

1. Check alignment of the shift fork/shift fork notches
2. Check for a small piece of debri (metal/rubber) that may have found itself close to the shift fork. A small piece of debri is enough to cause interference with the small tolerance of the shift fork

Last edited by khan_sultan : 26th February 2019 at 19:25. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Vikram Arya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 07:03   #522
BHPian

Guys, any help would be much appreciated.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-v...ml#post4533379 (My 2008 Maruti Gypsy Hardtop - A childhood dream come true!)
Old 26th February 2019, 15:26   #523
BHPian

Any tips on going for a brand new gypsy ? I believe they're still taking orders; I had casually enquired on the maruti website; they called back and is getting me in touch with the dealer in Pune. So far, seems like it can be made to order (full payment upfront)

I'm ok with the bare bones vehicle; it wont be my regular car

Questions I have is:

Do the soft tops leak in the rains? if yes, How bad
In one post somewhere i saw it now comes with an immobilizer. I believe thats incorrect?
I think I can get A/C fitted from MAS itself. Can anyone here confirm? Cost?

Cheers
Old 27th February 2019, 10:01   #524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleo View Post
Any tips on going for a brand new gypsy ?
========
Questions I have is:

Do the soft tops leak in the rains? if yes, How bad
In one post somewhere i saw it now comes with an immobilizer. I believe thats incorrect?
I think I can get A/C fitted from MAS itself. Can anyone here confirm? Cost?

Cheers
Go ahead and buy it while you can. There wont be another chance later.

If this is not your primary car, you will love it. Don't worry about trivial stuff like soft top leaking etc.

JUST DO IT!!
khan_sultan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 16:43   #525
BHPian

Thank you Khan saab ! Thats some encouragement.
One correction - Dealer is not asking for upfront payment; only 50K is needed and the car promised in 3-4 months. Went today and spoke to them in person. Hoping to go back and book in a few days. Apparently I can even opt for the extended warranty program that applies to other Marutis.

Only Mods planned are Yokos and AC (will need advice on that later)

One thing I still cant make up my mind - ST or HT. I read somewhere that once the HT is converted to ST, the original HT cant be put back on. Is that true? I thought the ST and HT have the same skeleton inside. I'm bit confused on that front. My plan was to purchase the HT and customize the ST without changing the bars etc. Is that not possible? Any insights would be helpful

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks