Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2019, 23:14   #541
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satis View Post
Hi Everyone,

For all those looking for LHS mirror, please order it online from PartsBigBoss. The dimensions of the mirror matches exactly that of the RHS mirror - this also means that the screw holes are exactly similar to that of RHS mirror. I would say it's 99% close to RHS stock one - the 1% difference is only in the finishing. And the cost (along with shipping) is just Rs.155. As it relatively cost far lesser i thought of giving it a try and it was a pleasant surprise. This is very useful for those of you who want have a stock look-alike. Hope it helps. :-)

Happy Gypsying,
Satis
I had this LHS mirror before. The shape is same as the stock one but visibility is poor. After one month, the mirror will be loose and will be totally useless. In my opinion, it is better to invest in Qualis mirror.
Old 4th April 2019, 14:27   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Can you share some more details on this? It also looks like the jack is shifted to the RHS. Newer Gypsies I have seen have it on the LHS where you have the toolbox.
Hope the pics help.

The Air filter has been rotated 90 degrees because of shoddy work on the AC piping which prevents it from facing the right way. Will get this and a few other minor jobs done when I have the time.

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-gypsyt1.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-gypsyt2.jpg

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-gypsyt3.jpg
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 09:31   #543

Thanks for your inputs.! finally managed to get a pair of Qualis mirrors from Nandi Toyota and fitted on my Gypsy. Quality of mirrors is decent with good clarity.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-img_2320.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-img_2322.jpg  

Dr GB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 18:47   #544
BHPian

Hello guys. I happened to visit the widely known Gypsy/Jeep market of India - 'Mandi Dabwali' today. I had heard a one liner about this market which goes, "Kuch bhi dikhao, bana denge" ("Show us anything you want us to make, we will fabricate it."). I even heard this line from one of the mechanics there.

Anyways, I want to perform the following modifications to my HT MG413W for which I received the quotations from Dabwali market as follows:
  1. Full body work/denting/painting: 30k (for any type - gloss, matte, two tone, etc.)
  2. Power steering installation: 7k
  3. Heater installation: 4k
  4. Innova seats: 4k (1k will be discounted for the exiting seats of my Gypsy)
  5. Interior roof fabric: 10k
  6. Front and rear bumpers: The person told me to show him any design on internet and he would fabricate the same for approx. 10-15k
  7. Complete wheel + tire swap: My current setup is 195R15 LT and I want to change to 255/60R15 or 235s. The tire vendor quoted me approx. 9k for one tire + steel wheel setup. And for my 5 nos. of CEAT steeplus tire plus wheel setup, he offered me a mere 8k. So, a total of 37k for this.
Guys, please suggest
  • whether these rates are genuine and whether I should go for the modifications there? It would be really helpful if anyone has done some mod from there to share his experience.
  • what is the max size of the tires that Gypsy can accommodate without any issue?
  • any other known shop (online/offline) for purchasing steel wheels as I could not find decent looking wheels there.
Arsi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 18:20   #545
BHPian

Can someone take a clear picture of the embossed chassis number on the right frame, behind the wheel well.

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th June 2019, 19:44   #546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsi View Post
Hello guys. I happened to visit the widely known Gypsy/Jeep market of India - 'Mandi Dabwali' today. I had heard a one liner about this market which goes, "Kuch bhi dikhao, bana denge" ("Show us anything you want us to make, we will fabricate it."). I even heard this line from one of the mechanics there.
Hi Arsi,

I am sure Mandi Dabwali is an absolute hub for mods, especially for Jeeps and Gypsys, and I am quite surprised with the quote which you have received from them. The pricing details of these jobs in Bangalore is as follows.
  • Full body work/denting/painting: 30k paint job + 10K Tinkering work = 40K
  • Power steering installation: 15K (Koyo brand new), 2nd hand 6 to 8K
  • Heater installation: 6K including installation
  • Innova seats: 4k for each seat(Used)
  • Interior roof fabric: 10k
  • Front and rear bumpers: The person told me to show him any design on internet and he would fabricate the same for approx - Depends on what type - Offroad bumpers = 12K both front and rear.
  • Complete wheel + tire swap: My current setup is 195R15 LT and I want to change to 255/60R15 or 235s. The tire vendor quoted me approx. 9k for one tire + steel wheel setup. And for my 5 nos. of CEAT steeplus tire plus wheel setup, he offered me a mere 8k. So, a total of 37k for this. - Worth it. around same price here.,moreover, it needs "mods" to fit those 255s.

Guys, please suggest
  • Whether these rates are genuine and whether I should go for the modifications there? It would be really helpful if anyone has done some mod from there to share his experience. - Comparing it with Bangalore pricing, its really worth it(Lookout for used product fitments)
  • What is the max size of the tires that Gypsy can accommodate without any issue? - The Gypsy can accommodate a maximum tyre size of 215/75 15 without any mods. Wider tyres will demand for spacers and suspension lifts.
  • Any other known shop (online/offline) for purchasing steel wheels as I could not find decent looking wheels there. - Try in Boodmo.com

All the best with your project, and please post a few pics of the car before and after the modifications.

Happy and Safe driving.

Last edited by ampere : 5th June 2019 at 20:06. Reason: Formatted for readability
Old 5th June 2019, 21:43   #547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharybold View Post
Guys, please suggest
  • What is the max size of the tires that Gypsy can accommodate without any issue? - The Gypsy can accommodate a maximum tyre size of 215/75 15 without any mods. Wider tyres will demand for spacers and suspension lifts.
On a stock steel rim, safest is 205/75 R15 without any modifications.
Old 5th June 2019, 22:12   #548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I've been running 215s on stock rims for years now, without any issues whatsoever.
Old 5th June 2019, 22:58   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
And what tyres would you get in that size?
Old 6th June 2019, 14:23   #550

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
And what tyres would you get in that size?
Hi, I've had the best experience with Maxxis M8060 trepador. The tyre performed impeccably off road with around 30% road biased. I didn't have any issues on-road either, except for a little vibes and tyre sound on the tarmac.,I can live with it. I think that is the best on/off road tire in the 205 size, without any mods, nor altering the recommend size for the vehicle.

Thanks.
Old 8th June 2019, 20:45   #551
BHPian

The Gypsy seems to have gotten a lease of life after the Indian Army ordered 2071 units of the iconic mountain goat.
Good times for owners and those hoping to get one in their stable.

Source: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/48092563.cms
Old 20th June 2019, 20:02   #552
knp
BHPian

Friends, I would like to install power steering and AC in my 2001 mg413w Gypsy. Do you recommend any better place at Bangalore, please?

Last edited by knp : 20th June 2019 at 20:04.
Old 24th June 2019, 10:28   #553

Quote:
Originally Posted by knp View Post
Friends, I would like to install power steering and AC in my 2001 mg413w Gypsy. Do you recommend any better place at Bangalore, please?
HI,

You can check out these two places - "Motorminds" and "Ranjith Auto Care" - the latter is at Koramangala. For power steering (hydraulic), they charge between 45 to 48K. "Motorminds" also give an option for electrical power steering and the charge is 1.5 lacks. I enquired about AC in both these places, but forgot the cost.
I personally met Ranjit at his garage in Koramangala - the experience was really great - he gave enough time to understand my needs and showed interest in explaining what to expect and what not. In fact I went to enquire about customizing canopy for my Gypsy.
My experience with "Motorminds" was not good. I went there twice to enquire about power steering installation. They tell you the cost and nothing more. May be they are good, but it didn't give any confidence that they really understood what I had in mind.

I suggest you check out both the places - everyone's perspective is different.

Good luck with it.

cheers,
Satis
Satis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 01:50   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
A query to the Gypsy gurus here - not sure if this is a bug or a feature

Sometimes I feel that there is a "play" b/w the (pardon my ignorance here but in layman's terms it appears to be) drive shaft and gearbox in that while changing the gears and releasing the clutch, I hear a "khat" sound. This does not happen every time I up/down shift and I have learned to avoid it by releasing the clutch more gently than I regularly do on my other cars.

It seems that there is a "lag" of a fraction of a second b/w me releasing the clutch and the power being transmitted to the shaft. The same behavior can be elicited from the Gypsy when I slot first gear at standstill and release the clutch suddenly. Typically a regular car would stall if I do this but without the "khat" sound. The Gypsy stalls too, but with a "khat" sound. There is no other abnormal behavior observed while driving. Thoughts?
Exactly what I experience on my 6 months old gypsy too ! Me too have learnt to avoid it by carefully releasing the clutch, but would be interested to know if you were able to fix it or is this a normal behavior.

Additionally, in my case say I am slowly cruising in 2nd or 3rd gear and I let go off the accelerator pedal and let it roll for few seconds and then re-apply accelerator, it picks up with this "khat" kind of sound ( almost never happens in 4th or 5th). But this is not always and when I pointed this out to MASS guys, they took it for a longish test drive and it did not even do it once
Old 28th June 2019, 10:36   #555
Senior - BHPian

The play in transmitting can be due to either -
. Play in the universal joints on the shaft. To check get under the gypsy and try to rotate the drive shaft left and right. If there is a play you will feel the shaft moving slightly before it stops.

. Play in the rear differential. This is rare in a fairly new vehicle, but will crop up in an old one. If so, the differential will tend to "Hum" at higher speeds.

In case of former, lubricate them using a high pressure grease gun till the old grease runs out. If it persists, then let a mechanic examine the universal joints, and change them if the play is excessive.

In case of latter you have to take the differential apart and replace the Crow/Pinion combination.

Most Viewed