Team-BHP - Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/51734-maruti-suzuki-gypsy-queries.html)

hey as i mentioned about my gypsy which i bought recently and overhauled the engine suspension and brakes..the progress has been good so far, i drove it around today. runs well, going easy on the new engine. i have a few questions:
i want to remove the hardtop during winters and put it back in summer or monsoons..how can this be done? is it just a matter of unbolting or there is more to it? i plan to order a black hood (soft top) for it and make all bars to fix the soft top perfectly.
MY QUESTIONS ARE:
WHAT IS THE COLOR CODE OF THE INDIAN ARMY GYPSY? ITS A BEAUTIFUL SHINY GREEN.
WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE TO CONVERT FROM HARDTOP TO SOFTOP?
HOW DO I INCREASE HEIGHT OF MY GYPSY BY 2 INCHES? CANT LEAF SPRING TENSIONING DO THIS?
FEW PICS OF THE CAR AS OF NOW!

ALSO NEED TIPS AND TRICKS IN RUNNING AND MAINTAINING THE GYPSY.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
REGARDS
ASAD
DHAKA, BANGLADESH

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

You need to get in touch with Khan_sultan for all your Gypsy queries !! He has the most formidable Gypsy in the country !! Off Topic, I used to watch this program on the travel channel called "Bangla Bangers"! It was about a car designer / modifier called Lepu and his Cockny Brit freind who used to transform beat ol wrecks into near exotics !! Any info on the person !!! He seemed gifted.

yes lipu is quite talented. He transforms old honda preludes to ferrari f50's using all original lights and emblems! I'll post a pic sometime. For now i'm gonna hunt down khan sultan for my gypsy know hows!

Quote:

Originally Posted by chargerman (Post 1122210)
... i want to remove the hardtop during winters and put it back in summer or monsoons..how can this be done? is it just a matter of unbolting or there is more to it?

Just remove the bolts and you are ready to go.

Quote:

i plan to order a black hood (soft top) for it and make all bars to fix the soft top perfectly.
Can be done, however in that case you can't put the hard top back. for that you would have to remove the bars/etc

Quote:

MY QUESTIONS ARE:
WHAT IS THE COLOR CODE OF THE INDIAN ARMY GYPSY? ITS A BEAUTIFUL SHINY GREEN.
It is military green.

Quote:

WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE TO CONVERT FROM HARDTOP TO SOFTOP?
removal of hardtop + fixing of bars (one rear, one center + 1 bar between the B-Pillar/Center bar )

Quote:

HOW DO I INCREASE HEIGHT OF MY GYPSY BY 2 INCHES? CANT LEAF SPRING TENSIONING DO THIS?
Yes. you can put in extra leafs. but this will make the ride more harsh. Other way is to put in increased body mount spacers (10 of them required) or increased shackle length.

Quote:

ALSO NEED TIPS AND TRICKS IN RUNNING AND MAINTAINING THE GYPSY.
Nothing. It is a very reliable machine. Just take care of the regular servicing.

PS: Your radiator is in bad shape. Suggest that you repair/replace it. Also it doesn't look like the coolant flow is connected to the radiator.

Also, do get your battery secured by a clamp. In bad roads/off-road it may just come off the plate and create issues.

Looking at the engine bay it looks like it has had an engine transplant. And the job is not done yet.

What is the pepsi bottle doing inside engine bay.

yeh "engine " maange more!!!

What are you doing about the ICE? For the Pepsi bottle, that is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sha (Post 1122941)
What is the pepsi bottle doing inside engine bay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceman91 (Post 1122951)
yeh "engine " maange more!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrag (Post 1122991)
What are you doing about the ICE? For the Pepsi bottle, that is.

Unfortunately he is not ICEman91 to have ICE in him. He is only a CHARGERman.

And this is how a simple question can take you to OTR, Oops, OTT - Off The Topic lol:

its looks like a bomb has exploded in that engine bay , air fliter unit has fallen off

Instead of repairing the radiator , change it for new. costs only Rs. 2,100.

As regards, increasing the hight, you can camber the spring blades for such height and fit it. Ofcourse the ride quality will be very bumpy.

Maintenance is cheaper restricted to service cost. Only running cost is high in gypsy.

Dwarak

i suggest you get hold of a copy of the owners manual and also the service manual if possible. ( the service manual also come with a parts list)

Hey Wait a Sec!!! I think i know whats the pepsi-petrol doing in there...!! no kidding - thats the ONLY fuel (gas) tank for the car..er gypsy. This gypsy's got a LPG Kit fit on it and looks like the pepsi-petrol is used only to start her up on petrol on switch over to LPG.

Reminds me of the Omni in Mumbai where a few (pity) school children were charred to death...coz it was running on the EXACT same setup - start from a pepsi bottle - switch over to LPG. And the bottle burst into flames..!!

Asad - You got a potential ISSUE there - get that OUT of that gypsy and post some more detailed pics - God knows what else is Juggad in your car...

Quote:

Originally Posted by svsantosh (Post 1123219)
Hey Wait a Sec!!! I think i know whats the pepsi-petrol doing in there...!! no kidding - thats the ONLY fuel (gas) tank for the car..er gypsy. This gypsy's got a LPG Kit fit on it and looks like the pepsi-petrol is used only to start her up on petrol on switch over to LPG.

Reminds me of the Omni in Mumbai where a few (pity) school children were charred to death...coz it was running on the EXACT same setup - start from a pepsi bottle - switch over to LPG. And the bottle burst into flames..!!

Asad - You got a potential ISSUE there - get that OUT of that gypsy and post some more detailed pics - God knows what else is Juggad in your car...

SVsantosh, Have a closer look at the engine room. Distribution delco is opened. The petrol is probably is being drawn from fuel line by cranking, which will pump the fuel from tank to bottle. May be he is using the petrol for cleaning components.

Only idiocracy can indulge in starting the engine with petrol in bottle.

Dwarak

also , why is there a wire from the ignition coil all the way to the radiator?