Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2009, 16:52   #151
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. The finishing quality is all because of mandeep, who has been scrutinizing every step of the fabrication-denting-painting process all the way including the minor details which usually people won't bother at all when it comes to jeeps.

Harjeev, the colour actually looks much different in reality. In fact its very difficult to get the exact feeling of the colour in pictures!

Tarkesh, this is not any standard shade. There were three different shades of gray in the shade card. The final shade was decided on trial and error basis by varying the thinner/glossy component in the standard shades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
...does the roll bar on this just look higher than the one on your blue jeep?
Yeah initially it was bit higher because the windshield was not on and we decided to adjust it (reduce) after putting the same. Now the height has been adjusted. BTW, the blue beast belongs to mandeep and I am an ardent admirer of this jeep from the very 1st day I saw it
Old 3rd July 2009, 18:41   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Harjeev, the colour actually looks much different in reality. In fact its very difficult to get the exact feeling of the colour in pictures!

Tarkesh, this is not any standard shade. There were three different shades of gray in the shade card. The final shade was decided on trial and error basis by varying the thinner/glossy component in the standard shades.

Dear Soumen,

Pls be careful about the formulation / tinters about the shade if it is designer or special shade. Keep some extra paint for last minute touch ups and finishings . It becomes very difficult to match the shade later for touch ups if the formulation is not known. My 5 years experience with Asian Paints says this.

Kuchh bhi kaho But your shade looks amazing!!!

Tarkesh
Old 13th July 2009, 16:25   #153
Senior - BHPian

Hi Tarkesh,
Thanks, you are absolutely right regarding the matching problems of this type of custom colour. In our case we did have some spare paint with us and it was used for the final touch ups.
We are getting a soft top done for the jeep and this may take couple of days more to be complete.

Last edited by Kandisa : 13th July 2009 at 16:29.
Old 13th July 2009, 18:21   #154
Senior - BHPian

the metal monster coming alive with the passing of each day!

waiting to see how the MM shapes up.

Kandisa do you plan to have rear seating or just front two seats same as the blue jeep?
Old 14th July 2009, 09:27   #155
Senior - BHPian

Yeah Parm, though it needs time and patience, its indeed an amazing feeling to see it shaping up in front of your eyes. However we have not done too many experimentation with the design of the jeep right now. As mandeep and me have decided, let it run for some time and then gradually we will do some modifications and additions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
..Kandisa do you plan to have rear seating or just front two seats same as the blue jeep?
For the time being there is no plan of installing any rear seat. It will cost at least 4k+, so will do it later if required.
Old 20th July 2009, 13:38   #156
BHPian

Hi Somen,

The jeep must be nearing completion now! Can we get an update and a few pics?

Cheers
Ankit
Old 20th July 2009, 15:16   #157
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ankit,
Yeah couple of important things have been done and probably in another week remaining minor things will be done.

The windshield has been placed and new glass with original new rubber housing has been fixed. The steering wheel went for a toss, so procured a new one. The mayapuri people made a mess with the electrical fittings, changed the indicator-wiper assembly to new bolero type. A removable pipe-frame arrangement for the soft top was fabricated. An extension to the roll cage was made to hold the windscreen properly. New soft top has been made with the help of an imported soft-top material Mandeep had.
Last weekend the tyres and rims were bought. Didn't want go for the really heavy army rims though they look good; so bought new gypsy rims. Also we didn't want to load the steering (which is very light in jeep standard) by putting monster tyres, although it transforms the look! So decided to go for a moderately wide tyre with good height. Thankfully got a nice set of Dunlop Grandtrek AT2 tyres which has pretty good height. Last but not the least, got a numberplate made for the jeep to enable in running on the road

Here are couple of snaps:

The seats as Ankit wanted to see

The story of my jeep: MM 440-seat-1.jpg

The story of my jeep: MM 440-seat-2.jpg

Removable frame arrangement for the top
The story of my jeep: MM 440-side.jpg

With the windshield
The story of my jeep: MM 440-front.jpg

Glimpse of the soft top
The story of my jeep: MM 440-top.jpg

The rim+tyre
The story of my jeep: MM 440-tyre.jpg

Some minor things to be done:
Slight modification in soft top
Painting & fixing couple of small parts
Installation of heat resistant material and some carpetting
And most importantly cleaning the jeep thoroughly once things are over.

We did a good amount of travel in the jeep last weekend and the response was really good in all sorts of traffic in such a hot weather. Loved the way people were staring at it. Will post more pics soon. Here is a final evening snap for the time being; the jeep with the new footwears on!
The story of my jeep: MM 440-dsc03493.jpg

-regards,
Old 20th July 2009, 16:02   #158
Senior - BHPian

Nice work, Somen. Mandeep indeed has done a great job. The soft top looks good although I think you are still in the process of making the 'soft doors'.

We hope to see better pictures of the jeep.Somehow only the black frame of the windscreen does not seem to gel. Maybe complete pictures will help. The glass is missing in the first one.
Old 20th July 2009, 16:31   #159
Senior - BHPian

Restoration of a JEEP is like the birth of a child and then seeing the jeep taking shape when you build it with paitence and passion!

thats what i see in your jeep. nice to see jeep transforming into a beauty.

i think you should leave the rear empty and not put seats! fix the spare tyre to the floor and save the tail gate from the weight of the spare!
Old 20th July 2009, 17:05   #160
Senior - BHPian

Some more pics, these are latest from 2 days back. Excuse the dirts, a thorough cleaning is due.

New tyre at front right
The story of my jeep: MM 440-dsc03478.jpg

New tyres at front but older ones at the back!

The story of my jeep: MM 440-dsc03485.jpg

The story of my jeep: MM 440-dsc03488.jpg

Finally in all four new

The story of my jeep: MM 440-dsc03491.jpg
Old 20th July 2009, 18:06   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quite a stunner now. Are those the standard seats recovered?
Old 20th July 2009, 18:11   #162
Senior - BHPian

the tyres looks good, whats the price/size if you dont mind ?

And what about the driver/passenger side door or plastic stuff or will it be open like this ?
Old 20th July 2009, 18:57   #163
BHPian

couple of pics from my side.
Attached Thumbnails
The story of my jeep: MM 440-s2.jpg  

The story of my jeep: MM 440-s1.jpg  

Old 20th July 2009, 21:54   #164
Senior - BHPian

Great work accomplished you guys!!!
Congrats to both of you!!! And it has come out very well indeed!!!

How much did the tyres cost and what is the size???

@Pram:
I dont think that they are standard seats but really look comfoy!!! I am also thinking of replacing the seats on my MM550!!!
Kandisa please shed light on this. Which seats and what price???
Old 20th July 2009, 22:08   #165
Senior - BHPian

those are innova seats!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks