Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2009, 13:16   #46
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new buy kandisa, But one qn, if u wanted economy, why did u buy a 440 and not a 540/550??
Old 19th January 2009, 13:33   #47
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys, yeah this indeed is a very clean piece with minimal abuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
If I were there, would have retained the engine and fitted LPG kit for regular use and petrol for offroad.
Jammy probably uses his 440 in this configuration. Actually I am not too convinced with the safety features in LPG kits here. Also the set-up is cumbersome with the cylinder n all. Besides, there are very few outlets here and far away from my place. Also, i think the feel of running on petrol can't be compared with the LPG and I want to enjoy that in normal driving as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
you are building up the story really well buddy!...how well do you think the isuzu petrol will do in terms of fuel efficiency....Also, it would be quite simple to plonk in a XD3P mill with the 4x4 in there which is standard on the 550, wouldnt this be more cost effective?
Thanks man, just trying my best to narrate it properly. Well, we expect the mileage to be around 11. Thats not phenomenal improvement but much better than the stock ones. Besides mileage, the other two reasons, more importantly, as I mentioned, were the repairibility aspect and the transition to a 5-speed system. I could have tried to afford the hurricane if the later conditions were met. In a nutshell, the engine change was not primarily for the cost aspect or economy. Also, our whole purpose was to stick to petrol, so we never thought of going the Xd3P way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
..why did u buy a 440 and not a 540/550??
Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
...I had driven a 540 once in Chandigarh with an Isuzu 1.8 petrol engine mated with a 4WD gearbox taken from a Isuzu 2.4 diesel engine. It worked superb. You could try this option also after discussing with experts....
Watch this space, the picture will be clearer very soon

-regards,

Last edited by Kandisa : 19th January 2009 at 13:36.
Old 19th January 2009, 13:51   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Also, it would be quite simple to plonk in a XD3P mill with the 4x4 in there which is standard on the 550, wouldnt this be more cost effective?
Ha Ha, Kandisa, Can you imagine what would have happened if you had even muttered the words XD3P??
Old 19th January 2009, 14:15   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
Ha Ha, Kandisa, Can you imagine what would have happened if you had even muttered the words XD3P??
Hi Vaibhav... sorry I am very new to the jeeping world and did not mean to offend. Can you please explain why XD3P/diesel is considered bad?
Old 19th January 2009, 14:19   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
Oh,simple, I would have got a kick and land up in a jeepless situation!
Ankit, will explain what gotzuk meant to say in the next OTR when we meet.

Last edited by Kandisa : 19th January 2009 at 14:21.
Old 19th January 2009, 15:47   #51
Senior - BHPian

kandisa, where is this jeep workshop is coming up or being set as mentioned in your post?

is it in and around noida or NCR?

cheers:
Old 19th January 2009, 16:36   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
kandisa, where is this jeep workshop is coming up or being set as mentioned in your post?
It has been set up in Noida couple of months back. This is not a very huge type of settings, but people here know the petrol jeeps like anything. Also this is not a general commercial sort of workshop; meant only for fellow enthusiastic jeepers and friends.
-regards,
Old 19th January 2009, 16:45   #53
BHPian

Kandisa, i saw another blue MM 540 with a bull bar parled behind Can you post a clear pic of that? Whose is that?
Old 19th January 2009, 17:07   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
Kandisa, i saw another blue MM 540 with a bull bar parled behind Can you post a clear pic of that? Whose is that?
The blue jeep is not a 540. Just browse through the thread, I have already posted couple of clear pics of that jeep along with the descriptions in part III of the write-up.
-regards,
Old 19th January 2009, 18:13   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
If am not wrong, thats is a MM540 converted into CJ7 look alike? I saw a same model jeep 540 into CJ7 in northindiaoffroaders club(NIOC) in yahoo group. I don't know it is the same one or not?

Last edited by Salikt : 19th January 2009 at 18:16.
Old 19th January 2009, 19:15   #56
BHPian

blue jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
If am not wrong, thats is a MM540 converted into CJ7 look alike? I saw a same model jeep 540 into CJ7 in northindiaoffroaders club(NIOC) in yahoo group. I don't know it is the same one or not?
well..this blue jeep belongs to me..and yes i am a member or jeep goup based in delhi..and it has a very unique history..there were 5 of them built i guess and was basically built for rajiv gandhi's security.It has a mitsubishi montero's (g54b) 2.6ltr petrol engine with mitsubishi L10 gearbox and transfercase.since it was a bullet proof jeep i had to part away with the body and fabricate a new one though i retained the bonnet,grill and fenders.some time back a problem with the cam started due to the oil pump,i could not find some spares so had to install a 1.8 isuzu,i am very pleased with the performance and the economy this engine gives though torque is lower than the mitsubishi,another advantage is that isuzu has an electronic distributor so timing tuning doesnt go off so easily.
renegade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2009, 20:36   #57
Senior - BHPian

Nice writeup Somuen,
When do you expect you jeep to be Off the Road?? And why dont you give us some cost. Estimates would do if. I would understand if you dont want to give exact figures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
It is not a convert but an actual CJ7.
Old 20th January 2009, 09:45   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
...and it has a very unique history..
So that was the entire details from none other but the owner himself. I guess this will pretty much satisfy the queries. And yeah, the history of this jeep is indeed amazing. I was spellbound when i heard that 1st time!
Harjeev, i will be able to share the total cost aspect and other details very soon. The 440 in this form with papers was picked up for around 1L. It may not seem to be a good deal but with that kind of condition, it was a jeep not to be missed.
@Sali, this is the same blue jeep as you saw in the NIOC group. However this is no way a 540 as explained.
-regards,
Old 20th January 2009, 11:04   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Harjeev, i will be able to share the total cost aspect and other details very soon. The 440 in this form with papers was picked up for around 1L. It may not seem to be a good deal but with that kind of condition, it was a jeep not to be missed.
-regards,
I think that its not a bad deal at all. An all stock 440 with all the papers and that too done only 30-40k kms, dosent sound bad to me.
And good that you are keeping the original hurricane engine, gearbox and transfer case. I am thinking of picking up one myself and keep it. I think Ill get them very cheap in Mayapuri and swap the parts in future, if required.
Old 20th January 2009, 11:40   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I think that its not a bad deal at all. An all stock 440 with all the papers and that too done only 30-40k kms, dosent sound bad to me.
And good that you are keeping the original hurricane engine, gearbox and transfer case. I am thinking of picking up one myself and keep it. I think Ill get them very cheap in Mayapuri and swap the parts in future, if required.
Actually i was supposed to write 'it might sound like a bad deal'. You are absolutely right, coming across such a good conditioned jeep is indeed rare at the 1st place. In fact, M&J actually went to the area for some other purpose and they didn't have any plan to pick a jeep. But seeing the 440 with the RC, there was no coming back! Also, the model of hurricane engine in this jeep is relatively much newer so it was better to preserve it. Yes, i think you may easily pick up one in a reasonable price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks