Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2009, 16:25   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
.....The obvious best option in the petrol category was the Isuzu. Highly refined, very much in use today, no problems absolutely in getting spares or support, Isuzu was decided as the next heart for the 440.
What happens to the existing 440 engine?
Old 20th January 2009, 17:14   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
What happens to the existing 440 engine?
It was mentioned right there in the write-up..."However it was decided that we would keep the original engine-Tcase-gearbox in case we like to revert back to the original setting in future."
Old 21st January 2009, 10:51   #63
Senior - BHPian

Part V

Soon, activities started rolling by procuring tools in the workshop, some basic, and one or two very exclusive. At the same time my mentors started the search to find out a clean desired engine-gearbox combination in all possible places. It was not very easy to get a matching 5-speed, 4x4 set-up with minimal modification to be done. And the availability of fund was not very generous. After around a week long hard toiling for hours, they finally got hold of the stuffs of satisfactory level.
The Isuzu was a low mileage engine, and the gearbox, was in even better condition, having a single lever shift 4x4 system.
The existing set up was taken out to keep in our disposal after proper oiling and all. The mounting of the Isuzu engine was bit different than the original ones. So new mounts were fabricated. The engine-gearbox got mounted and the jeep was finally sent to the workshop from Delhi for its makeover. I could have some understanding how important it is to make a correct alignment for the engine and gearbox. The best part of the set-up was that, it was a bolt-on addition without the requirement of any adapter plate in between, something we really appreciated. Some snaps to continue further:
The work begins
The story of my jeep: MM 440-work_begins.jpg

The rear view

The story of my jeep: MM 440-rear_view.jpg

The new engine mounts

The story of my jeep: MM 440-strng-rod_emount.jpg

The Isuzu in initial condition

The story of my jeep: MM 440-isuzu_01.jpg

The story of my jeep: MM 440-isuzu_02.jpg

Another accompanying modification was to get a new front shaft because of slight change in length requirement. This was properly fabricated under ‘strict’ supervision.
A tentative plan was chalked out as to how to go forward with the project. It was decided to 1st get the mechanical components serviced/overhauled to get the jeep into running condition with basic electric connections.
New electronic fuel pump was fitted as a companion to the Isuzu. An important addition was the brake booster, which improves the braking phenomenally. We decided to go for a brand new one. New clutch plate and accelerator pedals were also installed. The differentials, axles, hubs were done up. All the suspensions were renewed with new shackles. Some more snaps:

The new booster and clutch-accelerator assembly

The story of my jeep: MM 440-brake_new.jpg
The story of my jeep: MM 440-booster2.jpg

The gearbox (note the 4x4 lever is missing)
The story of my jeep: MM 440-gbox_old2.jpg
The story of my jeep: MM 440-gbox_old3.jpg

Some other overhauling pics
The story of my jeep: MM 440-ov1.jpg
The story of my jeep: MM 440-ov2.jpg
The story of my jeep: MM 440-ov3.jpg
The story of my jeep: MM 440-ov4.jpg
The story of my jeep: MM 440-shaft.jpg

The gentleman in the picture (not very clearly visible though!) is the man in charge. He is a great person, with an amazing eye on every detailing, doing everything on own in a very neat fashion, only needing an assistant to supply the tools and required stuffs. I was in no hurry to rush up the things, since it was a one-time build. Slowly and steadily the jeep started getting back its mechanical strength.

To be continued.......
Old 21st January 2009, 11:02   #64
BHPian

Ah, the story unfolds further. Good write up buddy. Looks like things ae going pretty well.

One question - what vehicle is the isuzu engine out of? It is the complete engine and gearbox and also the transfer case?
Old 21st January 2009, 11:53   #65
Senior - BHPian

Kandisa,

Going through your thread I am sure the passion and commitment you are showering in rebuilding your jeep will make it truly an AWESOME JEEP!!
Good Luck and will be following this thread with keen attention.
Old 21st January 2009, 14:35   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Ah, the story unfolds further. Good write up buddy. Looks like things ae going pretty well.
One question - what vehicle is the isuzu engine out of? It is the complete engine and gearbox and also the transfer case?
Until now, things have been going on pretty well indeed, thanks to hard work of MJ and Uncle ji. Hope it doesn't encounter any major hitch till the end. The engine is 87 bhp, carb, 1.8L petrol from contessa with very low running. The 5-speed gearbox (4x4 support is built within) is from Isuzu trooper. But they are compatible to each other perfectly, just bolt on. Mahindra had some limited 540 models with the mpfi version of the same engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Going through your thread I am sure the passion and commitment you are showering in rebuilding your jeep will make it truly an AWESOME JEEP!!
Good Luck and will be following this thread with keen attention
Thanks a ton man, hope the project will stand upto the expectation at the end. The optimism is even more when the jeep is in the able hands of passionate jeepers for build.
-regards,

Last edited by Kandisa : 21st January 2009 at 14:37.
Old 21st January 2009, 15:42   #67
Senior - BHPian

hey kandisa, you got a nice jeep to work on there. but i would like ask why you putting 1.8 petrol isuzu engine in your jeep?

is the speed you want in yout jeep or the torque?

cheers:
Old 21st January 2009, 16:33   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
hey kandisa, you got a nice jeep to work on there. but i would like ask why you putting 1.8 petrol isuzu engine in your jeep?

is the speed you want in yout jeep or the torque?

cheers:
Well, i hope you have gone through my previous posts, where i have explained in detail the reasons for the engine swap. Answer to your question is: I want both, at least for now. That will be bit of compromise on either side, but we wanted to go for the best trade-off.
The gist is here once more (as per my limited knowledge):
1. Hurricane
Advantage: Better torque characteristics
Disadvantages:
4-speed gearbox set-up.
More demanding maintenance for frequent use (mechanic issue etc), particularly for someone, having not much of experience
Very low mileage

2. Isuzu
Disadvantage: Torque characteristics inferior
Advantages:
5-speed synchromesh gearbox set-up (and thats retaining the 4x4)
Refined & smoother handling
Reliable for frequent use
Easy maintenance
Much better mileage

Isuzu was the best option in the petrol catgeory. Overall it gives an optimum mix of of off-roading and frequent driving characteristics with much less hassles. And i don't think the engine is too incapable either, i have seen its performance in longer wheel base jeep.
As i stated earlier, if i wanted a jeep for once-in-a-while off-roading ONLY, i would have blindly gone for a cj3b with stock hurricane set-up and not 440.
Lastly, I have kept the options open to revert back to the original setting, if someday in future there is change in purpose of the jeep.
-regards,
Old 21st January 2009, 16:40   #69
Senior - BHPian

thanx for the detailed answer to my question. i think its a matter of choice and taste as to what kind of vehicle and engine and performance we look for and want from it!

thanx again kandisa....cheers:
Old 21st January 2009, 17:12   #70
Senior - BHPian

You are most welcome Parm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i think its a matter of choice and taste as to what kind of vehicle and engine and performance we look for and want from it!
May i also add the criterion, the purpose of usage. In my case that governed all the other aspects.
-regards,
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:14   #71
BHPian

I can see where you are coming from Somen. It was the same rason I changed to Diesel and retained the 4x4.

It is what suits ones situation the best. Now we need to swap vehicles for a couple of days!!
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:34   #72
BHPian

Hi Kandisa,

Nice build up of your Jeep and the way you have wrote the entire details ---Just great!

I am sure with all these utmost care and detailing your Jepp will come up strong!cheers:

Keep it up buddy.

Tarkesh
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:44   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
..Nice build up of your Jeep and the way you have wrote the entire details ---Just great!I am sure with all these utmost care and detailing your Jepp will come up strong!cheers:..
Thanks a lot Tarkesh. Hope it will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
...Now we need to swap vehicles for a couple of days!!...
I need to have the jeep in full fledged condition at least for a swap!
Btw, did you repair the ripped off bumper part of your gypsy?
-regards,
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:47   #74
Senior - BHPian

Hi Somuen
When do you expect your jeep to be ready?
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:08   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
I need to have the jeep in full fledged condition at least for a swap!
Btw, did you repair the ripped off bumper part of your gypsy?
-regards,
The ripped off plastic cladding (courtesy Samil ji ) is still in the same condition. Will get it replaced this weekend. It dosent cost much.

How long to completion?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks