Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2009, 00:16   #1
BHPian

whats better than an original cj3b?? two original cj3b's.

In a recent trip to Mayapuri i happened to stumble upon two cj3b's at the same shop from which a fellow t-bhp member picked up his (early Christmas present) army spec cj3b a few weeks ago. The first one is an army spec cj3b from 1986.produced by Mahidra under American licensing it was a rare find indeed. I am yet to come across an army disposed vehicle in such "good " condition.Any one with a little experience will know the condition of ex-army jeeps.so by good i don't mean scratch less......but still relatively unabused.almost rust free and practically dent less.
not quite the case with the other one though.a light blue civilian version previously used by the geological survey people.dating back to 1976 ,this jeep had the original jeep bits pressed into the grill tailgate etc.this one was a far cry from anything drivable. a complete wreck.virtually a bomb site on wheels it had gaping holes in the body.
both are completely genuine.both motors are petrol hurricane stock's.
after picking them up the mechanics immediately got to work.
im keeping them both stock.retaining the motors and the colors and keeping the military fittings on the army one. only have pictures of initial bodywork right now but will keep posting regularly.cheers...cheers:(btw soryy about the poor picture quality as i forgot my camera.will keep it handy on my next visit.)
Attached Thumbnails
whats better than an original cj3b?? two original cj3b's.-dsc00108.jpg  

whats better than an original cj3b?? two original cj3b's.-dsc00109.jpg  

whats better than an original cj3b?? two original cj3b's.-dsc00110.jpg  

whats better than an original cj3b?? two original cj3b's.-dsc00107.jpg  

Old 25th January 2009, 06:33   #2
BHPian

You picked up both !! Well as they say some one's loss is some one's gain !!! I had my eyes on the geological survey jeep at padam's being a civilian registered version ! But....sigh :( good for you they were good pieces both of them the geological survey one needed a lot more work but was a very unique piece with its frp swb intact !
Old 25th January 2009, 22:38   #3
BHPian

the gelogical survey jeep was an excellent find though it was in dismal condition. i am really anticipating the restoration of the ex army jeep.it will be really special once completed.
the blue jeep had to recieve complete floor board replacement and firewall replacement. its turning out to be quiter a money pit. just hope it comes out good~.
Old 26th January 2009, 03:06   #4
BHPian

Congratulations on your double buy. You are getting the work done on both the jeeps at mayapuri itself? Keep a keen watch, you blink and these rogues will trick you before you know it. Also the quality of work there is normally pretty jugadu. Make sure they don't take any shortcuts.

cheers
vishwas
Old 26th January 2009, 11:39   #5
BHPian

the work is being done in mayapuri itself and if i am not there personally then my father definitely is supervising all the work himself.
especially installation of new parts etc.
Old 26th January 2009, 11:48   #6
BHPian

great going there. Thats a nice find mate. As a matter of fact i was eyeing on geological survey jeep myself. What piston size did you find in the cylinders? laxman's jeep has standard and i was amazed, unsleeved. But army cj3b is in far better condition, i told you so. Just keep an eye on these mayapuri fellas.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 30th January 2009 at 10:32. Reason: Fixed spaces after punctuation marks
Old 26th January 2009, 18:46   #7
BHPian

the geological survey jeep is in the custody of my fathers partner now and it has standard piston size.
Old 26th January 2009, 21:51   #8
BHPian

i suspected so..i told that it will be a nice thing to have sanjeev..
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0333 View Post
the geological survey jeep is in the custody of my fathers partner now and it has standard piston size.
Old 26th January 2009, 21:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats man
You have acquired the two of the last few beauties in Mayapuri. Cheers to that cheers:

When do you expect them to be ready? I would love to see them getting restored. I have replied to your PM.
Where are you getting them registered and please share about the cost part of the restoration.

Quote:
In a recent trip to Mayapuri i happened to stumble upon two cj3b's at the same shop from which a fellow t-bhp member picked up his (early Christmas present) army spec cj3b a few weeks ago. The first one is an army spec cj3b from 1986.produced by Mahidra under American licensing it was a rare find indeed. I am yet to come across an army disposed vehicle in such "good " condition.Any one with a little experience will know the condition of ex-army jeeps.so by good i don't mean scratch less......but still relatively unabused.almost rust free and practically dent less.
not quite the case with the other one though.a light blue civilian version previously used by the geological survey people.dating back to 1976 ,this jeep had the original jeep bits pressed into the grill tailgate etc.this one was a far cry from anything drivable. a complete wreck.virtually a bomb site on wheels it had gaping holes in the body.
im keeping them both stock.retaining the motors and the colors and keeping the military fittings on the army one. only have pictures of initial bodywork right now but will keep posting regularly.cheers...cheers:(btw soryy about the poor picture quality as i forgot my camera.will keep it handy on my next visit.)
Old 27th January 2009, 10:29   #10
BHPian

Congrats on your buy, Its high time now, seeing the craze for these JEEPs, Mayapuri is going to increase the price band drastically. Please post some more pictures for us to drool over.
Old 28th January 2009, 01:31   #11
BHPian

Will be posting pics of progress tomm.mechanical work is done.now we are going in for paint.
original paint for both jeeps.pastel blue fr the geological survey jeep and military finish for the 86'.
also will be experimenting with the 550's bullet sand grip tyres. found rims that will fit and raising the suspension by a inch should see this machine riding pretty high.
Old 28th January 2009, 09:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will be posting pics of progress tomm.mechanical work is done.now we are going in for paint..
The pace of the work seems to be very good. Congratulations for acquiring two best-of-the-class offroaders.
-regards,
Old 29th January 2009, 15:06   #13
BHPian

if imay ask your name,cause i was there when these two jeeps were picked and it was i who told one of the new jeeper to pick the army one.i am reffering to prabh.i am curious to know,i guess the geological survey jeep is 1972-3 not 76 model,if i am not mistaken,though i told sanjeev to take out the data plate there n then and keep it with him as mayapuri junkies dont bother much about data plates.i am wondering if i know you cause i surely know prabh and sanjeev really well.
Quote:
Old 29th January 2009, 21:33   #14
BHPian

hope the pm answers ur question.
if i could know ur name it would be great.
Old 29th January 2009, 21:53   #15
BHPian

more progress

mechanicals almost complete.engine will be started tomm.
Attached Thumbnails
whats better than an original cj3b?? two original cj3b's.-dsc02735.jpg  

whats better than an original cj3b?? two original cj3b's.-dsc02737.jpg  

whats better than an original cj3b?? two original cj3b's.-dsc02738.jpg  

whats better than an original cj3b?? two original cj3b's.-dsc02741.jpg  

whats better than an original cj3b?? two original cj3b's.-dsc02742.jpg  

whats better than an original cj3b?? two original cj3b's.-dsc02743.jpg  

whats better than an original cj3b?? two original cj3b's.-dsc02744.jpg  

Most Viewed