Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2013, 11:08   #76
BHPian

Re: Gypsy vs Gypsy King

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
In all likelihood this is a I litre. So I would suggest you avoid buying this specific model as you will find it underpowered.

IIIRC the last set of gypsy's with free wheeling hubs were sold with the first lot of 1litre widetracks. Post that they were discontinued. Having said that I have retrofitted the Aisin hubs on my 2008 model. So those mean much in terms of vehicle lineage. Very good to have though..

you guessed it right. fewer leaves = comfy ride = high risk of breakage = low reliability especially offroad.

satan Thankyou very mush for the reply, I am on a low budget, so I would have to go for the MG410W and later upgrade the engine to the 413, and about the leaves, is the stock config of gypsy 410 containing 1 leaf each in the back or 2 ? also is it possible to add a pair dampers to the rear to increase the comfort a bit ?
Old 24th August 2013, 11:33   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
satan Thankyou very mush for the reply, I am on a low budget, so I would have to go for the MG410W and later upgrade the engine to the 413, and about the leaves, is the stock config of gypsy 410 containing 1 leaf each in the back or 2 ? also is it possible to add a pair dampers to the rear to increase the comfort a bit ?
I think there are 3 leaves in the front and rear in a stock gypsy. Easiest to add CFLs (Composite Fibre Leafs) in the rear to settle the ride.
satan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2013, 20:08   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
I think there are 3 leaves in the front and rear in a stock gypsy. Easiest to add CFLs (Composite Fibre Leafs) in the rear to settle the ride.
satan once again thankyou, what is the cost of CFL ? and is it possible to put CFL in front also ?
Old 25th August 2013, 10:11   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post

Have you ever had a look at Gypsy King's (1998) owner's manual. That was the first owner's manual i read in my life, was a kid then. Gypsy was the first car that i started driving. When i started reading the owner's manual i was bewildered to read that it mentioned somewhere in the starting something like this: "This is not a normal road going car, this is an all terrain vehicle......" which drew all my eagerness, imagination then. I regret giving the owner's manual to the person who bought my father's Gypsy , otherwise could have inserted here a scanned copy of specs sheet from the manual.

I hope someone posts some evidence/facts over here.

Gypsy vs Gypsy King-image3277395718.jpg

Hope this helps.
Old 25th August 2013, 12:33   #80
BHPian

Quote:
... what is the cost of CFL ? and is it possible to put CFL in front also ?
I am on the lookout for a Gypsy so have been going through all the old Gypsy threads here and I vaguely remember someone mentioning that the front CFLs were tried on by Shahnawaj (khan_sultan) & Vijay (swastikviji). You can check with them for feedback.
vroom666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 11:12   #81
BHPian

Quote:
satan once again thankyou, what is the cost of CFL ? and is it possible to put CFL in front also ?
Refer this thread for details. While its possible to use CFLs on the front wheels in the gypsy, they have been found to crack and break on several occasions in the past. Having said that forum member Rossi is on his 3rd set of front CFLs that have held up quite well since the past couple of years. you may want to send him a PM, to get his views.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...f-roading.html
Old 12th September 2015, 23:02   #82
Senior - BHPian

Bumping up this old thread as did not want to start a new one. So after owning a Classic for 8+ years and disposing it off 4 years back, the Gypsy bug has bitten me and the hunt is on However, as khan_sultan said in one of the earlier posts on this forum, a well-maintained MPFI King is almost impossible to find. If you do find one, it is priced exorbitantly. I do not want to go for the ex-Army ones as they are quite battered up - did try out a few and man, were they pathetic or what!!

I then turned my attention to carb ones since they seem to be more practically priced. However, they appear to be out of the stone age - underpowered, no brake boosters, etc. The one I checked out recently had white fumes coming from the exhaust (head gone?).

So the dilemma (as well as the hunt) continues. I know there are quite a few posts on this thread on carb vs. mpfi but I'd still request experts to advise on which one should I go for, given that I intend to use this vehicle for weekend fun drives (short ones) and occasional (mild) off roading. This will help me narrow down my search!

Thanks in advance...
Old 13th September 2015, 00:46   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
You have MPFI King,right?
The gypsy in question above is the MG410W with 45 bhp engine,i had one and it never crossed 110 on speedo,even after standing on Speedo for Kms
and yeah soft top used to turn into a parachute at speeds in excess of 100.
I've seen my driver touching 140 on a brand new 1986 Gypsy MG410 soft top (stock) and I myself have done 120+ on an MG410W hard top. Those were they days
Old 20th September 2015, 15:11   #84
Senior - BHPian

Gypsy gurus, can someone please identify if this engine is a 1L or a 1.3L?
Attached Thumbnails
Gypsy vs Gypsy King-img20150920wa0009.jpg  

Gypsy vs Gypsy King-img20150920wa0010.jpg  

Gypsy vs Gypsy King-img20150920wa0012.jpg  

Old 22nd September 2015, 21:28   #85
BHPian

it looks like a 1.3L carb engine.
Old 22nd September 2015, 21:33   #86
Team-BHP Support

This is 1 liter carb if i am not mistaken, 1.3 liter carb would have aluminium valve cover head.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 00:12   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Gypsy gurus, can someone please identify if this engine is a 1L or a 1.3L?

This is 1.3 L carb. The aluminum head cover was for MPFi.

You can actually go for a aluminum head cover of Zen if you pick this vehicle up, the head gasket for this cover blows up quite often, so aluminum is a good option.
Twinn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 17:02   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinn View Post
This is 1.3 L carb. The aluminum head cover was for MPFi.

You can actually go for a aluminum head cover of Zen if you pick this vehicle up, the head gasket for this cover blows up quite often, so aluminum is a good option.
Are you sure, this is the picture of a 1.3 Liter carb and what i was referring to, unless the wide track go a different valve cover this is how it should look like right? I used to own one a decade back, and i remember the oil filling cap, somehow can't seem to remember how the valve cover looked like. maybe coz hardly 2-3 times i would have opened the hood of that vehicle in the 2 years i had it

EDIT: Sorry what was i thinking, its the 1 liter engine my vehicle had! lol so this is how 1 liter should look like. 1 liter Wide body i.e

Edit 2: Yes it is 1.3 carb

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th September 2015 at 17:09.
Old 14th April 2016, 21:03   #89
BHPian

Sorry for this newbie question, but I wanted to confirm: every Gypsy manufactured after March 2000 is a MPFI model, right?

Source(?): http://www.gaadi.com/auto-reviews/30...iew-included/2

Quote:
The Government of India in the year 2000, introduced Euro 1 norms for cars sold in the country. This made electronic fuel injection and ECUs compulsory in all cars sold in India.

As a result, in March 2000, Maruti Suzuki launched an updated version of the Gypsy King with the G13BB 1.3 litre petrol engine. This engine features 16-valves and multi-point fuel injection. Along with this update, Maruti Gypsy King was also fitted with a brake booster.

Last edited by Tanmay K : 14th April 2016 at 21:07.
Old 14th April 2016, 22:03   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
Sorry for this newbie question, but I wanted to confirm: every Gypsy manufactured after March 2000 is a MPFI model, right?

Source(?): http://www.gaadi.com/auto-reviews/30...iew-included/2
For the most part, yes! However, there might be a few carb models registered post March 2000.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks