Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2009, 18:02   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mahindras gonna come out with a 550 for sure, the only question is WHEN? It could be tommorow.....or even 2009. What I suggest : Unless you have concrete information of a launch soon, get a used Gypsy or 340 (whichever you find first). Have a blast off the road. If & when the common-rail 550 comes along, simply sell and upgrade.
Old 13th February 2009, 21:26   #17
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Can you confirm the source who said it could be available from march to the general public?(only if you are comfortable)
Vinod I haven't mentioned the 550 would be available after March to the general public. If that is so then that's news to me.

Some friends are organising this through their contacts and the car will be released as a special favour. They'd apparently have to order it in non military colour paintwork and deliver. Since they mentioned the 550 may get a new engine after March I was wondering what it would be and whether its a CRDi in which case I'd rather wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shams View Post
Hi DKG, Nice to see that you are finally considering a 4x4 Jeep. Best of Luck
First pref still is for the Gurkha Shams. Senior Force staff maintain it will get released with the CRDi unit later this year. Ideally I should get the Gurkha as I want to hit forest trails in monsoon If they are postponing it another year then a new 550 sounds like a lovely car to have considering it comes in at half the price of a Gurkha !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mahindras gonna come out with a 550 for sure, the only question is WHEN? It could be tommorow.....or even 2009. What I suggest : Unless you have concrete information of a launch soon, get a used Gypsy or 340 (whichever you find first). Have a blast off the road. If & when the common-rail 550 comes along, simply sell and upgrade.
No idea of commercial release. My getting a new 550 would be through some contacts, more of a favour.

I do need to have something before June so I can hit Rajmachi and other Karnataka locations during monsoon in a 4x4. It would be a drag to miss this monsoon.

Guess what GTO, my dilemma now is, do I get a new 550 and my Softtail Deluxe or a Gurkha and no Harley Or do I drop these and go for a Fortuner !! Decisions decisions

Last edited by DKG : 13th February 2009 at 21:29.
Old 14th February 2009, 09:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

DKG,
Why dont you go for a brand new XD3P engine in a 540/550 used body? The cost of a new Jeep you mention would be around 6-7 lakhs, think of the possibilities what customization can be done with this sum on the above mentioned proposal? Here in Hyderabad tons can be done to improve on the mechanical as well as the cosmetic areas.
Personally, I have not been on the Gurkha though hear a lot about it, a Mahindra 4X4 and a Gurkha in your garage is a near complete combo.
I was invited for a test drive of the "Legend" at the Mahindra factory at Kandivali, the DI in it was extreme disappointment and the 15" alloys and scorpio tyres made the steering rock hard. Took the first flight back home and never thought about it again. Surely, a custom job done by us can be far better than on a mass manafacturing assembly line and less expensive.
The Fortuner is in other class/ segment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Vinod I haven't mentioned the 550 would be available after March to the general public. If that is so then that's news to me.

Some friends are organising this through their contacts and the car will be released as a special favour. They'd apparently have to order it in non military colour paintwork and deliver. Since they mentioned the 550 may get a new engine after March I was wondering what it would be and whether its a CRDi in which case I'd rather wait.

First pref still is for the Gurkha Shams. Senior Force staff maintain it will get released with the CRDi unit later this year. Ideally I should get the Gurkha as I want to hit forest trails in monsoon If they are postponing it another year then a new 550 sounds like a lovely car to have considering it comes in at half the price of a Gurkha !!

No idea of commercial release. My getting a new 550 would be through some contacts, more of a favour.

I do need to have something before June so I can hit Rajmachi and other Karnataka locations during monsoon in a 4x4. It would be a drag to miss this monsoon.

Guess what GTO, my dilemma now is, do I get a new 550 and my Softtail Deluxe or a Gurkha and no Harley Or do I drop these and go for a Fortuner !! Decisions decisions

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 14th February 2009 at 09:27.
Old 14th February 2009, 09:50   #19
BHPian

Hello DKG,

You seem to be having some mroe inside information on the new GURKHA, please can u elaborate.

As right now .. I am holding the cheque for advance payment to FORCE Auto.

Cheers!!
Old 14th February 2009, 10:54   #20
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Why dont you go for a brand new XD3P engine in a 540/550 used body?
If I was a little freer I would have taken the route you suggest Fazal. Time has become a huge constraint for me and the weekends are too precious to waste in garages getting work done. Which is why I want a new car so I can get started on the fun bit asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
You seem to be having some mroe inside information on the new GURKHA, please can u elaborate.
I don't know if it is appropriate to take his name but I spoke to a senior marketing official and he did acknowledge the Gurkha would be supplied with the OM 611 engine soon. That soon may be late 2009 (and quite possibly shift to 2010 too, something the official didn't suggest, my guess). As has been clarified already in the Gurkha thread the engine has been developed primarily for the Tempo Traveller and will eventually find its way into the Gama and Gurkha as upmarket offerings.

Like you I am ready to buy the Gurkha today but am holding off as the new engine would be a great upgrade.
Old 14th February 2009, 11:16   #21
BHPian

MY 2 cents wait till March not far off... I might have some interesting news for you by end of March!
Old 14th February 2009, 13:02   #22
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
I might have some interesting news for you by end of March!
love the way TBHP continues to flame our passion !! All of you here are one heck of a bunch of enthusiasts
Old 14th February 2009, 15:43   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
MY 2 cents wait till March not far off... I might have some interesting news for you by end of March!
@DKG

Is it purely a technical decision? Are you buying this out of your post-tax funds? Are you not taking a loan, or showing this as a company purchase of some sort? I am quite willing to accept that it might be a personal purchase for you; you mentioned somewhere earlier that it's either an MM 5X0 AND a Softail, or a Gurkha alone, and that sounds like a personal call, since I'm not sure how you'd justify a Harley-Davidson in a company's books (postage and stationery, mail, delivery of?).

If at all it's a company decision, you stand to gain a lot in depreciation by buying before March 31. Depending on what your accountant will accept as a fair method of depreciation, and depending on whether or not you are being consistent using it, that is, you've used just that method before, you could be saving a lot, or saving nothing much really (in this financial year; over the life of the vehicle, it couldn't affect things very much).

I suggest if you have a company, tax-deduction possibility available, have a quick chat with your accountant.

[
You could always wait for the Gurkha. I drooled all over one yesterday, the first I've seen at close quarters. The more I saw of it, the more the impact it had. If I had the money, there'd be no doubt at all. Now excuse me, before Vinod and hrag and Dirty Dan and others catch up with me and get busy with the tar and feathers routine, I've a flight to catch! ]
Old 15th February 2009, 12:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

Dear Friends (@GTO, rhandle, DirtyDan, DKG and ....),
I am really planning to buy a new mahindra 4X4 and currently i thought, i only have Major as an option. I read from you guys that it is available to order a MM550. Is this really possible for me as well or is it only for a few blessed ones?? Is it atleast possible for you guys to count me in while ordering one? Or, would things get better by april and do you suggest that i wait? Could you please help? Thanks a lot.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 15th February 2009, 15:05   #25
BHPian

rhandle,

your two cents has stopped me from speniding my money (9L) on the Gurkha... for this month.

Eagerly, awaiting your inputs.

Ps. you can also PM us ...
Old 15th February 2009, 16:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Dear Friends (@GTO, rhandle, DirtyDan, DKG and ....),
I am really planning to buy a new mahindra 4X4 and currently i thought, i only have Major as an option. I read from you guys that it is available to order a MM550. Is this really possible for me as well or is it only for a few blessed ones?? Is it atleast possible for you guys to count me in while ordering one? Or, would things get better by april and do you suggest that i wait? Could you please help? Thanks a lot.
Cheers,
Deepak
We are all waiting for Mahindra to announce what it is going to do. Right now it looks like they are going to release something in the MM540-550 genre, at least in appearance. When? Dunno.
Old 16th February 2009, 09:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

I came across this thread rather late.

Way back in 2001, a close friend of mine in Patna, Bihar ordered a LWB MM 540/550 with 4x4 and chose the then Bolero 2600 cc Diesel DI engine. It was not CRD then, also I am uncertain as to whether it was turbocharged like the present Bolero 2.6 engine that I have on my BOlero SLX ( Purchased August 2008 )

The 4x4 Jeep was a special order and took over six months to arrive from Bombay, but it is a very capable off roader now, minus the comfort of airconditioning en all of course.

WIll post a few pics after my return from Patna towards the end of Feburary 09.
Old 16th February 2009, 14:57   #28
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonobashi View Post
Are you buying this...
Its not a company purchase.
Old 16th February 2009, 16:55   #29
BHPian

A suggestion

Hi DKG
I saw you getting into a black tata mobile 4*4 at the drag races at the airport. Why dont you think about that machine too its very good looking but i have no idea about the performance tough. Could also help me with a few details about that vehicle like where to get and the specs.
Old 16th February 2009, 22:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
While I wait for the new gen Gurkha I had set the ball rolling for trying to wangle out a 550 from M&M. There appears to be some light at the end of the tunnel and my dilemma is do I opt for the current version (DI engine?) or wait for the next gen 550 with a CRDi (maybe?) engine after March. What say guys?

Would appreciate your views
do you believe MM will launch/release 550 with a CRDe engine?? if you take my advice, buy a DI 550 and later on plunk in a CRDe from a bolero in near future.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks