Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2009, 22:32   #1
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Advice needed from Jeep fans

While I wait for the new gen Gurkha I had set the ball rolling for trying to wangle out a 550 from M&M. There appears to be some light at the end of the tunnel and my dilemma is do I opt for the current version (DI engine?) or wait for the next gen 550 with a CRDi (maybe?) engine after March. What say guys?

Would appreciate your views

Last edited by DKG : 12th February 2009 at 22:34.
Old 12th February 2009, 23:16   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
While I wait for the new gen Gurkha I had set the ball rolling for trying to wangle out a 550 from M&M. There appears to be some light at the end of the tunnel and my dilemma is do I opt for the current version (DI engine?) or wait for the next gen 550 with a CRDi (maybe?) engine after March. What say guys?

New MM550 from Mahindra? But i thought it never came with DI engine. Even today, the army versions comes with XD3P i think. And i do not see a remote possibility of planting a CRDi in MM550 from M&M since its only made for Army. However, if you have contacts which will help you to get a new 550 from M&M go for it. (I have a wild idea of converting the current IDI XD3P to Di). There are guys who done that. The current DI offering from M&M is MDI3200, thoug it has lot of low end torque, it lacks the refinement of XD3P. XD3P is far more peppier than MDI3200. There are some crazy guys around, who convereted XD3P to DI + TCIC and power said to be amazing (100-103BHP) and 14km/l. BUT a costly deal.

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 12th February 2009, 23:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Since we have the Bolero with the CRDi, I expect to see it in other Jeeps too.
Old 12th February 2009, 23:39   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Since we have the Bolero with the CRDi, I expect to see it in other Jeeps too.
I agree, But the fact here is they no more make MM550 for civilians unlike Bolero.

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 12th February 2009, 23:50   #5
DKG
Senior - BHPian

All I gather is there is some engine change on the military 550 after March. Assuming the current unit is the XD3P IDI unit would the next engine not be the CRDi unit? The current 550 don't seem to be that noisy so would it be accurate to state its the IDI unit instead of the DI?

Last edited by DKG : 12th February 2009 at 23:58.
Old 13th February 2009, 00:01   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Di turbo with tcic? Can you sree give me a little more wing on that? Point me to another thread or pm me, if you think this thread should not get diluted.
Old 13th February 2009, 00:21   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
All I gather is there is some engine change on the military 550 after March. Assuming the current unit is the XD3P IDI unit would the next engine not be the CRDi unit? The current 550 don't seem to be that noisy so would it be accurate to state its the IDI unit instead of the DI?
As far as I know the engines from 2007 have been the DI Turbo engine. Same as on the Mahindra Legend. If there is a change this march, it maybe the CRDi or possibly the next iteration of the DI Turbo engine which has higher output. Again I have no concrete information, just information from talking to other Jeep enthusiasts.

I
Old 13th February 2009, 00:51   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Di turbo with tcic? Can you sree give me a little more wing on that? Point me to another thread or pm me, if you think this thread should not get diluted.
You have a PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
As far as I know the engines from 2007 have been the DI Turbo engine. Same as on the Mahindra Legend. If there is a change this march, it maybe the CRDi or possibly the next iteration of the DI Turbo engine which has higher output. Again I have no concrete information, just information from talking to other Jeep enthusiasts.

I
If it is from 2007, then Tini might be correct. I am sorry about the wrong info. I thought it always came with XD3P, at least for army.

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 13th February 2009, 05:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

What are you guys referring to when you say 'CRDI'? The Thar-like turbo XDP3 or the new CRDE that is in the up market Bolero?

Last edited by DirtyDan : 13th February 2009 at 05:05.
Old 13th February 2009, 10:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hi DKG,

I dont think M&M is thinking of launching a 550 with CRDe engine any time soon in india. M&M official has told to autocar in the recent issue that they are planning to launch thar in europe and south africa this year. No plans for india yet!

If you are looking to buy a new MWB 4x4 with doors your only option today is Invader or the Gypsy other than the present Gurkha 4wd.

You may have to wait for MM550 CRdi until then!
Old 13th February 2009, 11:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Dear DKG,
Is it really true of what i am reading or am i dreaming? Could we really buy/order a brand new MM550? Really .. Wow!! Could you please share some details about it? I would be really interested too..
Thank you very much for sharing this info.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 13th February 2009, 13:19   #12
DKG
Senior - BHPian

The discussion with people helping me get a 550 entailed either release of a vehicle in its present config or apparently a new engine after March. I obviously have no clue what engine the current vehicle comes with and what it might get. As a layman I figured the current engine is a DI unit. Elsewhere on the forum someone mentioned an XD3P IDI unit as the current engine. I was confused so felt I'd ask some of our more knowledgeable friends here.
Old 13th February 2009, 13:26   #13
BANNED

Wait for the Gurkha. Looking at the other thread i would buy one just because of what was discussed on there.

Unfortunately i dont have the money.
Old 13th February 2009, 13:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The discussion with people helping me get a 550 entailed either release of a vehicle in its present config or apparently a new engine after March. I obviously have no clue what engine the current vehicle comes with and what it might get. As a layman I figured the current engine is a DI unit. Elsewhere on the forum someone mentioned an XD3P IDI unit as the current engine. I was confused so felt I'd ask some of our more knowledgeable friends here.
Can you confirm the source who said it could be available from march to the general public?(only if you are comfortable)
Old 13th February 2009, 15:10   #15
BHPian

Quote:

Hi DKG, Nice to see that you are finally considering a 4x4 Jeep. Best of Luck

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks