Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2009, 18:23   #1
SYJ
BHPian

My 'CLASSIC' Rebuild!!!

As you all know, i've recently acquired a 1996 mahindra Classic. This is my first 4X4, and i'm having a great time with it. It was in okay shape, but I wanted to bring it upto my standards, both mechanically, and cosmetically.

The mechanical work is more or less complete, with some work being needed on the clutch, and some work on the steering box. That's been taken care of.

It came with bridgestone tires, which were a lil oversize for the jeep, and i've changed them to Yokohama geolandars, based on the advice from the experts here, and I must say, the

Now, the jeeps' gone in for cosmetic work, and its going to be repainted to red, which was its original colour. Its been done at the same place where JayD's landmaster was done.

i'm greatly inspired by GTO's thread and hope that the final outcome will be similr to that. looking forward to all ideas and suggestions from all of you.

will post more pix shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
My 'CLASSIC' Rebuild!!!-dsc-76.jpg  

My 'CLASSIC' Rebuild!!!-dsc-79.jpg  

My 'CLASSIC' Rebuild!!!-dsc-77.jpg  

Last edited by SYJ : 19th February 2009 at 18:42.
Old 19th February 2009, 18:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

SYJ, Congratulatoins!

Great going there... Post some pics.
Old 19th February 2009, 19:54   #3
BHPian

Congrats do post the details !! I just wish the you get nice set of alloys too !! (guess it would be a part of your cosmetics already )
Old 19th February 2009, 22:04   #4
SYJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
SYJ, Congratulatoins!

Great going there... Post some pics.
ya will do it as the work progresses

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
Congrats do post the details !! I just wish the you get nice set of alloys too !! (guess it would be a part of your cosmetics already )
ya need 2 check out for a cool one or else need to get my wire wheels cleaned up if possible
Old 19th February 2009, 22:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

you came all the way to Chandigarh just to buy the jeep?
Old 19th February 2009, 22:18   #6
BHPian

Do I see some serious number of spokes missing from your wheels!!
Try and get hold of these wheels only. I know they are very hard to come by but are worth it. For me these wheels are the only defining aspect for a classic. Others are just jeeps.

cheers
vishwas
Old 19th February 2009, 22:26   #7
SYJ
BHPian

as of now completed almost all of my mechanical side works,just dint have a tough job there.. just had to work with the clutches.replaced the complete clutch assembly, then had to work with the steering, that to replaced.. the jeep had almost all the parts original except for certain parts like the seats,side mirrors and the soft top.now the jeep is the paintshop..here are some more pics from the garage and of the seats which came along when i got the jeep. as the original seats arent available im trying to work up which can resemble the original ones., the upholstery people are working with it
thanks to GTO for the snaps of the original seats
Attached Thumbnails
My 'CLASSIC' Rebuild!!!-dsc-6.jpg  

My 'CLASSIC' Rebuild!!!-dsc-76.jpg  

My 'CLASSIC' Rebuild!!!-dsc-78.jpg  

My 'CLASSIC' Rebuild!!!-sayooj179.jpg  

My 'CLASSIC' Rebuild!!!-sayooj226.jpg  

My 'CLASSIC' Rebuild!!!-sayooj286.jpg  

Old 19th February 2009, 22:29   #8
SYJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
you came all the way to Chandigarh just to buy the jeep?
nope had a friend there in chandigarh so he helped me out in getting it as well as in transportation
Old 19th February 2009, 22:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

great jeep dude..keep up the good work.
Old 19th February 2009, 23:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Please post your cost of getting it and transporting it to kerala too. It would be very useful info for people who are still searching ! By the way, it looks great. Any colour change in mind ?
Old 19th February 2009, 23:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

What are you going to do about those missing spokes? I had never seen this jeep in Chandigarh before. Lucky guy mate.
Old 20th February 2009, 01:08   #12
BHPian

You have great jeep to start with, so I believe you wouldn't have any problems doing the job correct.

When my father bought our Mahindra CJ-4, 11 years ago, it came with oversized rims and these exact tires - Bridgestone Desert Dueler. To this day for me remains a mistery how the tires ended up in my Mahindra and how they've gotten this far, in Macedonia. Here's a picture I took not while ago. These tires were killing the Jeep, so after only 800km we returned the original steel ones (16") that the PO was kind enough to sell them to us.

Old 20th February 2009, 11:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

rebuild!

Quote:
The mechanical work is more or less complete, with some work being needed on the clutch, and some work on the steering box. That's been taken care of.
I see the engine being taken out. Are you working on the engine too?

Quote:
It came with bridgestone tires, which were a lil oversize for the jeep, and i've changed them to Yokohama geolandars, based on the advice from the experts here, and I must say,
Good choice, but dont go over 235 size tyre. It will still foul the wheel wells unless you opt for a negetive offset rims

Quote:
Now, the jeeps' gone in for cosmetic work, and its going to be repainted to red, which was its original colour. Its been done at the same place where JayD's landmaster was done.
I thought the present colour what you have is very unique. But beauty lies in the eyes of beholder. If you are not happy, go ahead with a good paint job.

All the best!!!
Old 21st February 2009, 11:46   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You bought a perfectly functioning Jeep, and are planning to strip the entire body down within months!! And I see the engine has been lifted out as well. Am not sure if I agree with that. Here's why: A 12 year old Jeep with rust, rattles and rough edges is just how she should be. Don't expect modern-sedan like finish, not only is it difficult to achieve in these old bodies, but you'll be worried to death when offroading (just ask the Hyderabadi "spic & span" Jeep owners).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYJ View Post
i've changed them to Yokohama geolandars, based on the advice from the experts here, and I must say, the
Incomplete sentence. Please complete.

Quote:
i'm greatly inspired by GTO's thread and hope that the final outcome will be similr to that. looking forward to all ideas and suggestions from all of you.
Thanks. But I'd rather that thread stays an inspiration for getting absolutely run down Jeeps back to life. The way I saw your Jeep, she was just fine! My Classic was plain undriveable prior to the rebuild, thanks to the entirely botched up petrol engine swap.
Old 23rd November 2009, 19:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thats a very lovely shade. Guess its red now going by your avatar. There is a similar color Classic in Ooty. Looks good when you see it in real. Very different. However this is a newer model, with alloys. Must be 99 or 2000.

Can you please post some pictures of your Jeep in its new avatar?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks