Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2009, 16:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bitten by Jeep bug- Lookout for buying (now bought CL340)

It all started with the Manesar OTR last week. I was not only amazed to see the capability of these jeeps but also the opportunity they provide to be close to nature.

I had decided then and there that I am going to buy a jeep. I have very limited knowledge on these but am still very confidant for my friends on Team-Bhp.

My requirements are as follows:

1) Want one with good FE for will attend OTRs in Delhi also. (So diesel)
2) Will be on highway alone so must be reliable.
3) I like small chassis and don't like too modified.
4) Good off-road capabilities. Will be using only for off road purpose.
5) Prefer a readymade one. Since I do not have knowledge, I don't want to get it all made-up from scratch.
6) Willing to spend no more than 2 lakhs.

So I start with what options I have available in Jaipur. Seen few today and this one got my attention:

Bitten by Jeep bug- Lookout for buying (now bought CL340)-imag0667.jpg

* I saw it with a dealer but it belongs to a person who has two jeeps and 1 gypsy, and keeps as hobby too.
* Said it is a Willy's 79 made as Classic.
* It has got 94 DI engine, new tires, battery, Break work is done.
* No 4x4 yet.
* No power breaks, no power steering.
* Registered with diesel engine.
* Had JK Tires.

Bitten by Jeep bug- Lookout for buying (now bought CL340)-imag0664.jpg

Bitten by Jeep bug- Lookout for buying (now bought CL340)-imag0669.jpg

Bitten by Jeep bug- Lookout for buying (now bought CL340)-imag0670.jpg

Bitten by Jeep bug- Lookout for buying (now bought CL340)-imag0671.jpg

Bitten by Jeep bug- Lookout for buying (now bought CL340)-imag0668.jpg

Bitten by Jeep bug- Lookout for buying (now bought CL340)-imag0666.jpg

My question:

So friends is it a good buy, he is asking 1.2 Lakhs for this. I took a test drive too.

Can 4x4 fitted in it now? Will it work properly, how much is expense.
Will these tires do off-road or need a change?

Thanks.
Old 1st March 2009, 17:27   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
My question:

So friends is it a good buy, he is asking 1.2 Lakhs for this. I took a test drive too.

Can 4x4 fitted in it now? Will it work properly, how much is expense.
Will these tires do off-road or need a change?

Thanks.
Hi,

This is a Mahindra CJ3B with the engine replaced by a diesel.
To conver to 4x4, you will have to change the front axle and the rear axle, add a propshaft and tcase and modify the main GB. Does it have a four speed or three speed GB? The current tires will not do well offroad.

I was also looking for a short wheelbase 4x4 (MM340DP/ Classic) for some time in Rajasthan, but couldn't find any good vehicles. Now I am rebuilding an ex-army 550 that I bought from Mayapuri.
Old 1st March 2009, 18:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Alfa_Kilo. Does all CJ3b came as 4x2 originally, or this one in course of its life lost 4x4? Is it hard to convert or its simple? And final question, is this one worth buying if yes that what price should I offer him.
Old 1st March 2009, 18:16   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Alfa_Kilo. Does all CJ3b came as 4x2 originally, or this one in course of its life lost 4x4? Is it hard to convert or its simple? And final question, is this one worth buying if yes that what price should I offer him.
I would not conside a CJ3B (or whatever is left of it) with non orignal engine, axles and no 4x4. If you want a good offroader, don't consider a modified 4x2 jeep. It can be converted back into a 4x4, but it is not worth the money or the effort.

You may get a good second hand MM540 4x4 for ~2l, or get an ex-army 550 rebuilt for 2.5-3l.
Old 1st March 2009, 19:28   #5
BHPian

hi yogesh......great to see OTR'S having this effect on people.

the vehicle in the pictures is not a willys . for the price he is asking i would not suggest you to buy it. keep looking around and post what you find.make a good , informed decision and try to get a fitted 4x4 because fitting it later will cause troublres for you. look for an ex-army 550, like you must have seen at the manesar OTR, the military green mahindra driven by mr.sanjeev is a very capable and reliable vehicle.
if you find a genuine cj3b with complete papers and orginal engine(petrol) and 4 wheel drive....buy it.these are soon becoming collectables in their own right and are simply THE best off roaders.romi jis off white cj is an excellent example.
Old 1st March 2009, 21:36   #6
BHPian

Quote:

Dear Yogesh,

Pls speak to RBjee in NIOC, he has a friend Mr.Tony Singh in Jaipur who own a neautifull CJ3B in original condition. Infact he was one of the organisers of the Jeep & Willys rally in Jaipur.

He has some veichle in Jaipur that Pushkin was planning to pickup before he picked up a MM Major.

Take RBjees advise also.

Redgs

Amit

Last edited by Tusker4x4 : 1st March 2009 at 21:43.
Old 1st March 2009, 21:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
I would not conside a CJ3B (or whatever is left of it) with non orignal engine, axles and no 4x4. If you want a good offroader, don't consider a modified 4x2 jeep. It can be converted back into a 4x4, but it is not worth the money or the effort.

You may get a good second hand MM540 4x4 for ~2l, or get an ex-army 550 rebuilt for 2.5-3l.
Yogesh,

Alfa Kilo is right. Yhis 3B is modified. If you can get a MM540 with original engine or even a 550 it would be great.

A MM540 conversion to 4x4 costs about 19,000/- in mayapuri. I had got it done for my 540 as it was originally a 2x4 an Airport Authority disposal.

Though I would recomend it to be done in Jaipur only as there are good mechanics there. mayapuri work is not up to the mark.

Redgs

Amit
Old 1st March 2009, 22:04   #8
Team-BHP Support

These days it is becoming risky to buy Jeeps of spurious or unknown source. In the south it has come to light that some workshops are making SWB Jeeps from scrap, not restoring, but literally making them. They take a LWB chassis, cut in the middle and reweld them to make SWB Jeeps. They also fabricate any old model Willys Jeep to satisfy the demand.

Please make sure you are buying from reputed source or sources known to people you trust.
Old 1st March 2009, 22:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker4x4 View Post
Yogesh,

Though I would recomend it to be done in Jaipur only as there are good mechanics there. mayapuri work is not up to the mark.

Redgs

Amit
Tusker is right, Randeep is getting his MM540 restored in Jaipur at his mamas garage and from the pictures it looks like an excellent overhaul.
Old 1st March 2009, 22:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
These days it is becoming risky to buy Jeeps of spurious or unknown source. In the south it has come to light that some workshops are making SWB Jeeps from scrap, not restoring, but literally making them. They take a LWB chassis, cut in the middle and reweld them to make SWB Jeeps. They also fabricate any old model Willys Jeep to satisfy the demand.

Please make sure you are buying from reputed source or sources known to people you trust.
Hey Sharath,
+1 to that. I came across a CJ340 in Bangalore. After some convincing, i took it to a mechanic and got it examined. It was exactly a LWB chassis cut and welded to make it into a SWB. Isn't that simply like killing 2 jeeps, the SWB & LWB? Also, it is running on a Ford Fusion diesel engine. The quote was 2.75 lakhs!
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 1st March 2009, 23:02   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

That is how most of the vehicles are made in mayapuri/dabwali. They sell them as 'classic', 'wranglers' (or raangaler) and 'villy', 'wili' etc.

In Jaipur I recently an SWB with a hybrid CJ-3A/custom body with a Jap engine and front manual hublocks. I went closer to check the gearbox and realised that the hublocks were installed on a 4x2!
Old 1st March 2009, 23:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

My opinion is the same that I gave you last week.
Increase your budget to 2L
  • buy a army disposal 75k
  • regn 14k
  • tyre 22k sandgrips
  • paint 10k
This comes to 121k. And leaves you an ample amount of about 79-80k for the restoration. Which I think can be comfortably be managed.

Atleast you would be sure if what you are getting. If you buy a jeep like the one you are considering, you would never be sure what package you have got. But atleast in restoration you know what has gone into your vehicle and you will know the limits of the vehicle and how far to push it in the OTR's etc. Which I think is quite important.

So the restoration way is what I think is the best atleast you know what has gone into your jeep.

Even if you pickup this jeep for lets say 1L The the expense sheet will work out like this
20k for 4x4, 20k for tyres, 4-5k for transfer the misc exp like oil change, brakes overhaul etc etc all this will cost about 20k
The final tally will come to 165-170k.
The difference comes to just 30k. So ask your self are you saving alot.

One think I do not understand about the jeep pics you have posted is
from the side it appears to be a SWB
The rear door/ is of a Mahindra Major CL550
Its not a 4x4 but CL550 came as 4x4
then if it was a CL550 they were 91" wheelbase, why this this been shortened??
The front fenders are also of a CL550

I might be wrong but all this dosent quite add up.
May be the experienced gurus can comment.

Last edited by harjeev : 1st March 2009 at 23:09.
Old 1st March 2009, 23:13   #13
BHPian

The owner has added the 550 badge, along with 'classic' on the bonnet
Old 1st March 2009, 23:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
The owner has added the 550 badge, along with 'classic' on the bonnet
So you get a 2 in 1 Jeep, a bit like a ladyboy.

Maybe he could not find a 3C Turbo High Turban badge like one of the dabwali creations has in another thread.

Credit to Susan for the picture.

Seriously avoid any of these cut and shut jobs with fancy names and engines. All that bling will not stand much abuse and you will be wishing you took the MM550 approach mentioned by Harjeev.

Last edited by bigman : 1st March 2009 at 23:30.
Old 2nd March 2009, 00:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

yogesh!
Just saw that youve mentioned a budget of 200k.
So go ahead and buy a MM550 you wont regret it.

If you want a SWB then the best bet would be to hunt for a CJ3B. But then that would be a petrol and to & fro delhi to jaipur would be a big burden on the pocket each time!!!

Most Viewed