Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2009, 00:05   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
After fitting the fibre glass leaf springs, my rear is 2.5 inches taller than my front. I am mulling over fitting the OKBJ front differential, which I have procured, in a spring over axle setup. This will take care of the reduced clearance caused by shifting the engine forward. I will also fit the Bolero 4WD front leaf springs too.
Any harm in going for an SPOA setup only in front?
If the difference is only 2.5 inches, it maybe better to go for a shackle lift in the front like on Jammy's MM540. I think the SPOA is a complicated task and you will need to fabricate the drop arm etc..

Mansoor from Jeepthrills had done an SPOA on his mm540 and he can give you pointers if you decide to go ahead. Pictures of his jeep are on the jeepthrills album.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 21st April 2009 at 00:07.
Old 21st April 2009, 00:20   #47
Senior - BHPian

Longer shackles will lead to more wander (IMO). I am thinking that an SPOA will give me 4 inches lift and the softer Bolero springs will drop me about an inch!!
What say?
Anyway, the SPOA is not really difficult. It requires a good welder and a nice even perches of the same height. (this b'cos the right springs are mounted on the diff cage and not directly on the tube. tube).
Longer brake tubes and a drop pitman arm are all available.

Last edited by jyobeb : 21st April 2009 at 00:22.
Old 21st April 2009, 14:26   #48
Senior - BHPian

hi jyobeb,

Since you have proceeded quite a bit all i would say is all the best!! My honest opinion- Stick to the stock!! Suspension is designed in a vehicle taking lot of parameters into consideration. SPOA surely gives you additional room. But what about additional center of gravity? steering set up problems? stability during climbs or heck even on sharp turns and sudden braking?

Before either selection of an engine or suspension manufacturer / designers study plenty of options. Thats why stock vehicles perform much better and are much more reliable.

May be a well engineered job gives you a much better vehicle but costs will be prohibitive due to trial and error method. I wish you all the best to prove me wrong that the stock is best:-)))

p.s- If iam not happy with the current jeep i would prefer to change to a new one to suit my requirements than to work on an old horse. Let M&M engineers do the job for me:-)

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 21st April 2009 at 14:29.
Old 29th April 2009, 00:47   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
hi jyobeb,
Suspension is designed in a vehicle taking lot of parameters into consideration. SPOA surely gives you additional room. But what about additional center of gravity? steering set up problems?
Before either selection of an engine or suspension manufacturer / designers study plenty of options. Thats why stock vehicles perform much better and are much more reliable.
Nothing is as much fun as trying to improve on an old design.
What I am trying to do is make it a comfortable dailt use car and a relatively formidable off roader. I am quite sure that the finished product will be in line with what I want.
Some photographs of the intercooler and ac fittings.
Attached Thumbnails
My MM550-intercooler-ps-reservoir.jpg  

My MM550-intercooler-top-view-wih-shield.jpg  

My MM550-ac-compressor-sd508.jpg  

My MM550-intercooler-left-side.jpg  

Old 29th April 2009, 09:50   #50
Senior - BHPian

The condenser fixed inside the grill.
Attached Thumbnails
My MM550-ac-condenser.jpg  

Old 30th April 2009, 07:54   #51
Senior - BHPian

Nice Job John, Look forward to TD your Jeep! All the best!
Old 30th April 2009, 09:43   #52
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Sir!! See you at TPC.
Old 30th April 2009, 11:15   #53
BHPian

Hi jyobeb, If you have tought of gong spring over axel here are some pictures that might help.
Attached Thumbnails
My MM550-cj_soa_driverfront.jpg  

My MM550-cj_soa_rear.jpg  

My MM550-cj_soa_zlink.jpg  

Old 30th April 2009, 20:13   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Nice pictures of the SPOA set up. Where where these parts fabricated? The finish is excellent. It will be great if you could put up a thread in the 4x4 technical section with the work/parts required for an SPOA set up for an MM550.
Old 30th April 2009, 20:26   #55
Senior - BHPian

I assume you're getting a hood scoop for that top mount intercooler.
Do get a mesh grill for the scoop.
Old 30th April 2009, 21:35   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Nice pictures of the SPOA set up. Where where these parts fabricated? The finish is excellent. It will be great if you could put up a thread in the 4x4 technical section with the work/parts required for an SPOA set up for an MM550.
Sorry but that is not my setup. The pictures were posted by Whicked Wheels to give me an idea of how to do it!
My SPOA is only getting ready and there is no way I am putting in that kind of lift!!
A few pictures of my new OKBJ front axle and a homemade on board compressor using an Indica condensor fan motor and a Thomas Sheboygan compressor.
For all those in doubt, it pumps and boy does it pump. I am guessing that 250 psi is very possible.
Attached Thumbnails
My MM550-okbj-front-axle.jpg  

My MM550-right-side-okbj.jpg  

My MM550-side-view-air-compressor.jpg  

My MM550-side-view-compressor.jpg  

Old 1st May 2009, 00:21   #57
BHPian

lol, thats such a cute little air pump. What did you get this Thomas Sheboygan compressor out of? You've solved one huge problem of mine. Now i don't have to use that bulkly truck Air pump that came with the cummins motor. I was thinking of even using brake booster servos powered by compressed air as in the trucks, but you helped me find a lot lighter solution buddy.
Old 1st May 2009, 19:29   #58
BHPian

hi jyobeb, I love the turbo. Just like nitrous said will you be getting a head scoop?

I think the jeep will look mean with the head scoop. I would suggest something more wider like the new mhawk one or like the picture below. But i am coming from a look point of view and donot know the flip or upside of different shapes of scoops. I am sure the gurus can guide you on that.

Old 4th May 2009, 13:27   #59
Senior - BHPian

Test, retest, and then some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Thank you Sir!! See you at TPC.
Hi Beboy,

Please test (Off-Road) your vehicle extensively before coming to TPC2009.

Regards,

Arka
Old 6th May 2009, 14:46   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Beboy,

Please test (Off-Road) your vehicle extensively before coming to TPC2009.

Regards,

Arka
Why do I get the feeling the Arka is not entirely convinced about the capabilities of my Jeep!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks