Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2009, 22:01   #1
BHPian

Tata Xenon A modern day offroader

I saw a Tata Xenon yesterday while travelling to Ludhiana. Infact I went to the local Delearship there and asked for the Vechile for a Ccoser look. I was told to come back after 1 Hr as the car had gone for a test drive.

At 4 pm I went back to Dada Motors the Tata Dealer and the Silver beauty was standing there in full gallore.

I went for a test drive. I sat on in the vechile was pleased by the Grey interiors, electronically adjustable sideview mirror, power steering, adjustable seats, Adjustable steerign wheels, Airconditioner, etc all comforts of a luxary car. The Seating position was comfortable with a good view. I asked for the 4x4 controls. The guy told me that this was a 2x4 vechile.

WHAT A TATA XENON WITH THOSE LOOKS A 2x4 !!! I exclaimed. He explained that it is avialable in both models a 2x4 and a 4x4. I was disppointed by the fact that i was testing a 2x4 vechile. But anway I drove on city roads. It was responsive. After a little request the guy allowed me to take it on the nearby rough patch in the feilds. It responded beautifully.

I was itching to take it to a offroad location try the vechile out, but then It was a showroom test drive vechile, a 2x4, and the guy was sitting next to me.

Has anyone drove it offroad. pls comment on the vechile's capabilities.

Regds

Amit
Old 4th March 2009, 22:16   #2
BHPian

I had a look at their website. But when u look at the figures its not so promising

Wheel Base - 3150mm
Front Over Hang - 870mm
Rear Over Hang - 1105mm
GC - 200mm
Brake Over Angle - 15˚
Angle of Aproach - 24˚
Angle of Departure - 21˚
Kerb Weight - close to 2 tons.

BUT, if its designed in "Modification Friendly" manner unlike any other TATA SUVs, then i think its a good bet.
At least you can do something about GC, Front over hang and rear overhang. If you increase GC, your Brake Over Angle will improve.
But nothing can be done to improve Wheel Base.

Source : home

Thanks
--Sree--

Last edited by sreerajunnithan : 4th March 2009 at 22:18.
Old 4th March 2009, 22:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker4x4 View Post
I saw a Tata Xenon yesterday while travelling to Ludhiana. Infact I went to the local Delearship there and asked for the Vechile for a Ccoser look. I was told to come back after 1 Hr as the car had gone for a test drive.

At 4 pm I went back to Dada Motors the Tata Dealer and the Silver beauty was standing there in full gallore.

I went for a test drive. I sat on in the vechile was pleased by the Grey interiors, electronically adjustable sideview mirror, power steering, adjustable seats, Adjustable steerign wheels, Airconditioner, etc all comforts of a luxary car. The Seating position was comfortable with a good view. I asked for the 4x4 controls. The guy told me that this was a 2x4 vechile.

WHAT A TATA XENON WITH THOSE LOOKS A 2x4 !!! I exclaimed. He explained that it is avialable in both models a 2x4 and a 4x4. I was disppointed by the fact that i was testing a 2x4 vechile. But anway I drove on city roads. It was responsive. After a little request the guy allowed me to take it on the nearby rough patch in the feilds. It responded beautifully.

I was itching to take it to a offroad location try the vechile out, but then It was a showroom test drive vechile, a 2x4, and the guy was sitting next to me.

Has anyone drove it offroad. pls comment on the vechile's capabilities.

Regds

Amit
Hey Amit,
Have a look at this thread: LINK
That is a test drive report from one of Steeroid's friend.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 4th March 2009, 22:24   #4
BHPian

I drove it on road mainly it felt reponsive. What struck me was the Rear over hang needed to be much shorter & The tyers were a disappointment. They should have been AT rather than a highway radial.

We will have to drive it offroad to actually get to knw the vechile better

Regds

Amit

Last edited by Tusker4x4 : 4th March 2009 at 22:32.
Old 4th March 2009, 22:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Sounds like a decent line-up of features.
Did you get to take any pics?
Old 4th March 2009, 23:13   #6
Team-BHP Support

If the term offroader means trail driving or bad roads driving, then the moniker Modern Day Offroader fits.

But if the term offroader refers to what is prevalent in our 4x4 section or Jeep Thrills, then it is not even close. As Sreeraj pointed out, the wheel base, and approach/departure angles simply rule out the possibility.
Old 4th March 2009, 23:17   #7
Team-BHP Support

I think the term for such vehicles is "soft-roader".
Old 4th March 2009, 23:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

take a 207 chasis, some inspiration from last released sumo grande, plonk a dicor and vgt from Safari and you get a xenon.

BTW what 4x4 system does it have. Borg warner?
Old 5th March 2009, 01:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

I hope they can use this platform to produce a big rugged looking SUV like the Nissan Pathfinder.
Old 5th March 2009, 01:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
take a 207 chasis, some inspiration from last released sumo grande, plonk a dicor and vgt from Safari and you get a xenon.

BTW what 4x4 system does it have. Borg warner?
I think so SirAlec, going by the Fact that TATA used Borg Warner in all of their 4X4 avatars. But not sure. I think Safari is still a better deal than this if you are serious about off-roading with a TATA Product. More than 1 meter of Rear Over Hang :-O, Not good, Safari is much better in this department.

Thanks
--Sree--

Last edited by sreerajunnithan : 5th March 2009 at 01:23.
Old 5th March 2009, 01:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

My understanding is that 4wd is only available on the dual cab Xenon. 8.6 lakh is the price, I believe.

Tata is supposed to launch a "MSUV" later this year. This is some kind of crossover utility/suv. No info on it yet.
Old 5th March 2009, 02:15   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Having a 4x4 doesnt make this an off-roader a-la the jeeps & Gypsies. This vehicle can use a 4x4 for different reasons, and has one to help it's intended usage. Not for " off-roading " as we normally talk about.

Last edited by condor : 5th March 2009 at 02:20.
Old 5th March 2009, 11:02   #13
Team-BHP Support

Both Safari and Xenon have Borg Warner Transfer case. Even Scorpio has the same. I think Borg Warner is used widely all over the world for electronic shift on the fly 4x4 systems.
For slush/mud/sand this will be very capable, due to low weight and good power. However when you talk rock and forest, the dimensions of this vehicle can be problematic
Old 8th April 2009, 12:21   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker4x4 View Post
I drove it on road mainly it felt reponsive. What struck me was the Rear over hang needed to be much shorter & The tyers were a disappointment. They should have been AT rather than a highway radial.

We will have to drive it offroad to actually get to knw the vechile better

Regds

Amit
Are you thinking of following the great SLS? Booked one? When is he getting his Xenon?
Old 8th April 2009, 12:33   #15
BHPian

I test drove it along with my friend who owns a TATA showroom...good for city roads,dint go on too rough offroads..so not sure of the limit of its offroad capablities.

All creature comforts were good.

The biggest disappointment was the driver seat height positioning is too low making offroading difficult and also the ground clearance is not good enough too.
Its like a mini version of Dodge Ram trucks in US.

Verdict:- Soft Offroader

Most Viewed