Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2009, 10:48   #46
BHPian

@Major,

Hi, that was quite an insight. Just wanted to find out are any of the 2005-6 recce vehicles up for grabs in pathankot? I believe these vehicles are far superior to the previous models. If you could please share some light on this.

Cheers !!!!!
Old 25th February 2009, 19:31   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
@Major,

Hi, that was quite an insight. Just wanted to find out are any of the 2005-6 recce vehicles up for grabs in pathankot? I believe these vehicles are far superior to the previous models. If you could please share some light on this.

Cheers !!!!!
All vehicles in the army are classified with their physical condition(I to VI). Most of the vehicles with bhpians are of CL-V. This classification is mentioned on the bumper itself during the entire service in the army(and even till it's repainted after auctioning). The condition of a jeep with normal wear and tear/running genarally takes 6 or more years to reach CL-V.
When a vehicle is declared CL-V, it rendered to be unfit for military use and hence it is decommisioned.
Post 2005 models were better than its' predecessors,but accordingly not available outside as they have not rendered their complete service.
Old 25th February 2009, 20:29   #48
BHPian

i recently applied for the army disposal jeep, the form clearly states that only class Vb jeeps would be auctioned.
interestingly it mentioned jongas, and cj 3b also. and no mention of any gypsy in the document . i got this doc from army hq , which stated the reserved price and veh for auction.
i had assumed that these were finished by now.
susan.could you shed some light.
Old 26th February 2009, 19:03   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreak View Post
i recently applied for the army disposal jeep, the form clearly states that only class Vb jeeps would be auctioned.
interestingly it mentioned jongas, and cj 3b also. and no mention of any gypsy in the document . i got this doc from army hq , which stated the reserved price and veh for auction.
i had assumed that these were finished by now.
susan.could you shed some light.

Hey Doc,

Are there any more 550s and CJs in there? What was the reserved price mentioned on the form? If you have applied then is it possible for a normal perosn to aply?
Anyways I am interested in getting vehicle for my friend and not in applying directly(I got one for myself from mayapuri currently under restoration). If you got any news about 550 or CJ just let us know , i will be interested because it better to get a vehicle through a fellow BHPn than these Mayapuri Cons oops....Guys.

Tarkesh
Old 4th March 2009, 22:15   #50
BHPian

Help needed in buying gypsy from army auction

Dear All

I am looking for a gypsy to be bought from the army disposals that go on all over the country.

I have located a lot of gypsies that r going to be auctioned from Pune on the 17th of march. please follow this link for the details of the various lots for sale Auction Catalog Report

Harjeev told me about 4X4addict's experience in the past with these auctions and I also read 4X4addict's post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...4-jeeps-4.html where he has mentioned that his bid was cancelled after the closure of the uction.
I wanted your advise to safeguard myself against such a possibility.
I also needed all your help (if possible) in bidding for this auction .

As my preparation for this auction, i have spoken to the army base in pune and have got the confirmation regarding this auction.

I have also planned to visit pune and see for myself the condition of these vehicles before the actual process of auction and try to speak to some people in the base and see if I can get one vehicle through a route which is basically outside the official process.

I am also trying to get in touch with a scrap buyer who has bought lots af army vehicles in the past ( it would be great if anyone could get me in touch with any dealer who may be doing this in maharashtra)

Can you guide me on the other possible steps that I could take to ensure that the vehicle comes to me incase I am the winner of this auction.

It would also help me a lot if anyone could give me tips on what things I need to check during the process of inspecting these vehicles in pune ( I have been told on phone that these vehicles r not in working condition)

I would also like to know what would be a good money to spend on vehicles of these condition as it looks for sure that I will have to spend a lot to overhaul the vehicle if i purchase.

I also needed your help in understanding the process of how and what I got to do to get the gypsy transferred to my name if i end up being a succesful bidder. the gypsies r beng auctioned from pune an i intend to transfer them to nagpur (in maharashtra) .

there r actually a thousand other questions that r going on in my mind regarding this and I would have to ask everyone to be patient in case i end up asking too many questions.

I would be great if all of you could help me out with this.

regards,
Dr. Abheek Ghosh

pl email me on dr.abheek@gmail.com and my mobile number is 09960332228

P.S : since there are quite a few lots of these gypsies on sale here, we could try to make this a joint venture if anyone else is also looking to get a vehicle of this condition.

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th March 2009 at 00:52. Reason: r = are. Please type in full words and not SMS language as per the Team-BHP rules. Thanks.
Old 5th March 2009, 17:49   #51
BHPian

Hi Abheek,

I have sent a mail on your ID. Pls check and reply .

Tarkesh
Old 6th March 2009, 02:32   #52
Senior - BHPian

Unlike Mahindra jeeps you may more easlily find a civilian Gypsy in pretty good shape, with papers, that would make a better platform for restoration/modification than an Army junker. In either case first and foremost look for damage to the frame. If the frame has been knocked out of allignment via an accident do not buy it. It would be hell to repair or replace. Go underneath with a torch and look VERY closely for welds, new paint, new parts and places on the sheet metal that have been repainted. These are signs of accident. If there is sheet metal damage look very carefully to see if there has been some attempt to repair the frame under the damage. Better yet, spend a few rupees and take a mechanic with you who knows how to assess what he sees. It is worth it IMHO.

Also, by searching this site or asking around, become familiar with the factory modifications done to this vehicle especially the wider axles and newer engine that were introduced. You want these if you can get them.
Old 6th March 2009, 16:06   #53
BHPian

thank you sir for your inputs.
Will ask you more questions for sure.

Abheek

Note From Support - Please avooid quoting entire long text if the quoted post is on same page.
Old 8th March 2009, 11:35   #54
BHPian

developments over the last week - army gypsy auctions

Hi All
This is a report of the developments over the last week.
I have seen about 20 civilian gypsies in Nagpur which are for sale. The prices vary widely with the owners basically making their own quotations . Prices in Nagpur vary from about 1.6L to 2.3 L for models 1994 to 2000.
After months of search, I have located about a lot of 7 gypsies that will be auctioned shortly in kirkee vehicle depot in Pune. And I am interested to look towards these army auctions as a source for my gypsy. The auction is on the 17th of march in vehicle depot, kirkee ammunition factory and we can go to inspect these vehicles till the 16th between 8am to 4 pm.

here r the details Auction Catalog Report

I want to share with you all my experience so far and want to ask some questions regarding the same.
We r about 4 of us 3 from nagpur and 1 from pune who are interested in buying an army gypsy. I am looking for 1 or possibly 2 more interested ppl from pune/mumbai/maharashtra/anywhere who may want one gypsy each.
My plan basically involves trying to buy an entire lot from the army via an auction and then getting these vehicles transferred to our cities.
But I am facing some problems.
Most of these auctions are usually bought by scrap dealers / bigshots with lots of money and as a result individuals like us never get a chance to own these vehicles at the rate at which the army auctions these vehicles.
I have been told from various sources that these gypsies r auctioned for 30000 to 70000 depending on their condition. (I want to ask here whether this is a correct info ? how much could I get a gypsy from these auctions ?)

I want to get in touch with a scrap dealer from Pune who may have contacts in the cantonment and who can bid on these vehicles on my behalf and then pass on the vehicles to me after the auction . Does anyone have contacts with a scrap dealer in pune or maharashtra who may help me in this quest.

Another thing that comes to my mind is that if we could get some inside contacts into the vehicle depot, we may then get a beter idea of these vehicles and try to get a few vehicles out without going through the auction . I want to ask if this is possible ?

I also want to employ the services of an experienced mechanic in Pune
who will basically go with me to inspect these vehicles on the spot . Does anyone know someone who could help me out in this regard ?

I am planning to reach pune on 14th march (saturday) with a couple of interested ppl and try to see if I can do something about this. In the meanwhile, a friend is looking into the points that I have already written above. It will be of immense help to me if anyone could help me with any of the steps.

another thing that I basically wanted to be clear abut is the process of getting the vehicles transferred to my name in case I am successful in getting a vehicle. Could anyone tell me the exact process that I need to go through ?

This much is more or less what I wanted to share with you all.
I have by the way been enquiring elsehere also and located a few scrap dealers in kolkata, kanpur, delhi who have some gypsies (or will be procuring shortly from the army) in the range of Rs. 70- 80000 . i would be glad to share this information if anyone wants.

A final confusion that I want to clear is : Am i right if I assume that the Maruti Gypsy 413 W that are being auctioned in this lot refers to a maruti gypsy , carb engine, 1.3 L petrol with 5 speed gear box ? Did all MG 413's come with 5 speed gear boxes ? I am looking at this engine over the 1.0 petrol , 4 speed .

Thank you all for reading this patiently.

warm regards,
Dr. Abheek Ghosh

Last edited by khan_sultan : 8th March 2009 at 19:07. Reason: removed [FONT] tags
Old 9th March 2009, 13:01   #55
Senior - BHPian

Hey doc
Last week on my visit to Mayapuri I came across a Gypsy king, I think 2001 or later model, all original condition. and I think that it was an MPFI too.
The demanded price the dealer was 2.25L. Also he said that the vehicle was in a start condition.
So effectively the only expense that would have to be done is for the registration14k, battery 4k and misc 12-15k.

The vehicle is standing at Pali motors if anyone is interested. Also I think that he (pali guy) will negotiate further is he sees that the buy is serious.

Last edited by harjeev : 9th March 2009 at 13:12.
Old 9th March 2009, 15:17   #56
BHPian

Hi Doc,

It was nice talking to youon the other day. As per our discussion I enquired with local scrap dealer which I know from my link. He says all good vehicle gets sold before the auction by some under table dealings. Still one of my link has promised me to go and check up the exact situation.

BTW In this auction there are some Nissan 1Ton 4X4 trucks also.

Tarkesh
Old 9th March 2009, 15:39   #57
BHPian

And yes Doc ,

In all there are 8 gypsies ( 5 - 413s and 3 410s).

Wow there are some M & M s also but can't figure out the model and other details like is is 5** or CJ type. Only thing mentioned is "Car 250 KG 4X4 Jeep M & M"

Tarkesh
Old 9th March 2009, 21:24   #58
BHPian

Hi harjeev , tarkesh and the rest of all who have emailed or telephoned me with the various important information that is helping me go ahead with this case,

Thank you so much for all your inputs.
I am also trying from my end to understand the mechanics of the inside job before the actual auction. Its pretty murky and the overall picture looks 50-50 at this stage.

I am going ahead with my planned visit to pune to try to inspect the lot on saturday.

However, as tarkesh has pointed out, the place of inspection may be closed on saturday and I might consider rescheduling my visit. Lets see how things develop.
Its pretty much upto tarkesh and his gang at pune to get us the information that we need here and I am really glad and thankful that he is taking a lot of interest in this.

What else ?
I still think that I am still missing some vital link somewhere. Like for example if in the worst case sceneriao we don't find any scrap dealer interesed in bidding for this auction on our behalf, how do I bid for the action (as I don't have a mstc registration)

warm regards,
Dr. Abheek Ghosh
Old 9th March 2009, 21:40   #59
BHPian

The only way to clear this would be to visit the depot and see for ourselves. When I had spoken on the phone number mentioned on the auction catalogue, the person who answered the phone asked me to come to inspect the vehicles kept in the depot. He gave me specific directions to reach some place called as Bravo Park inside the kirkee ammunition factory which incidentally I think refers to this the ground here Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world! or the park like thingy He did not ask me if I was mstc registered agent.

My questions : can anybody go in there to inspect these things or does he have to be mstc registered first ?
how do i get mstc registration ? Does anyone have an mstc registration who can help?

Thanks
Abheek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post

Wow there are some M & M s also but can't figure out the model and other details like is is 5** or CJ type. Only thing mentioned is "Car 250 KG 4X4 Jeep M & M"

Tarkesh
Old 10th March 2009, 17:46   #60
BHPian

Another Update - tried to get registered with MSTC

Hi All
Today I tried registering on the MSTC as a scrap buyer. I could complete the registration after which I got an email from the mstc saying that i will have to pay Rs 1100 and submit some documents to get a user id and password to bid on these auctions.

Then I called up my nearest mstc office (bhopal) where a very helpful guy listened to me and then told me the following :
  1. I can't register as an individual. I need to be a part of a company/ partnership firm / etc and submit the trader identification number (TIN) to be able participate as a buyer of scraps.
  2. He asked me what i was interested in buying and upon knowing that I was interested in a gypsy, he asked to buy from the buyers (scrap dealers) who pick up these vehicles in lots from the various places where such auctions are held.
  3. He told me that bhopal office of mstc was controlling the auctions held in MP and delhi. He told me that the regional offices of mstc will have a database of buyers who usually buy these lots. He asked me to speak to the mstc office controlling the pune auction of gypsies (basically the bombay office of mstc) the address of which is Western Regional Office (WRO) Address 607-608 Raheja Centre, Nariman Point, Mumbai - 400 021. Telephone 022 2288 6261 For e Auction Registration Inquiry :022 2287 2011 Fax (022) 2284 5130 E Mail mstcwro@mstcindia.com
  4. I then tried calling the bombay office on both these numbers but could not get through. I have sent an email to the above address detailing my case and asking them for information and I am presently waiting for their reply. I have asked them to provide me with details of who buys such gypsies in maharashtra from whom we could buy.
Friends, the importance of finding a scrap dealer is coming up again and again I feel that this is the vital link that is still missing in my quest.

I want to request our members in mumbai to try and help here by trying to get this information if possible from the Bombay office.

Thats all for the present. This was for everybody's information.

regards,
Abheek

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th March 2009 at 02:38. Reason: [font] etc formatting removed. Please see a thread regarding this in the Announcements section. Thanks.

Most Viewed