Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2009, 02:22   #1

One Americans 1991 EFI, Suzuki Samurai (Zuki)

This is one Americans 1991 EFI, Suzuki Samurai (Zuki). I purchased my Zuki about six years ago. The previous owner towed the Zuki behind his motor home, for several years, using it for transportation when he parked his motor home. It has been towed across America several times. The only modifications on it were Air Conditioning (A/C) from an older Samurai. It was very clean, no rust and original paint.

I used my Zuki as my weekend in town car, and towed it behind my truck and camper (TC) when I went on vacations. My truck and camper are also highly modified. The Zuki was not the focal point of my vacations. I would setup my TC, and tour with the Zuki. Some of the sites include; Death Valley, Bryce Canyon, Arches NP, Yellowstone NP, San Francisco, and many others.

My work required I live in my TC three days and four nights a week, so I did not have time to really use my Zuki as an offroad vehicle. I expect to do many offroad trips beginning this summer. For several years, I researched the mods I wanted. I retired from work in July of 2008, and began work on my Zuki. My quest is not the ultimate Zuki, but a Zuki that is tough, reliable and respected, with no shoddy mods or repairs.

The following are the mods I have made so far:

Tow Bar (Roadmaster)
Fiberglass Hard Top
Starter relay modification
Battery replace with Group 24
ECM rebuild
Power Steering (Celica, w/Kick Power Steering Pitman Arm)
YJ spring SPOA, W/Missing Link shackles (Trail Tough kit), about 6-inch lift
[FONT=Arial]Doetsch Tech 8000 Pre-runner shocks ([/FONT]DT 8000)
Extended rear driveline yoke
Driveline spacers (2-front)
U-Joints (all new)
TT OTT Steering
TT Diff Guards
TT Full Skid Plate
BF Goodrich Mud Terrain (31x10.5R15LT, M+S)
Summit 8-inch wide (2-1/2-inch backspace) Wheels
Front Bumper (home fabricated, w/ Receiver, and Tow Bar Mount)
9000 Warn Winch (w/snatch block)
Rock Sliders (home fabricated)
Spidertrax Anti-Wrap bar
Rear Axle Truss (home fabricated)
4:1 Tcase (welded version)
Evil Twin Sticks
TT Mighty Kong Tcase Mount
TT Solid (aluminum) Transfer Case Mounts
BF Goodrich Mud Terrain (31x10.5R15LT, M+S)
Summit 8-inch wide (2-1/2-inch backspace) Wheels
Gear Shift mounted hand throttle (Bike shifter-Aluminum)
Tachometer (Stewart Warner)
Voltmeter (Stewart Warner)
Gas Tank Skid plate (home fabricated)
Metro Valve Cover (aluminum)
New upholstery (stock seats, front and rear)
Fender Flair extensions (lawn edging)

Mods to be done with parts on hand:

Oil Pressure gage (Stewart Warner-to be installed)
Headlight relay modification
Alternator upgrade (General motors 90 amp)
CB Radio
Panhard bar (front)
Sway bar with disconnect (front)

Future mods will include lockers, front and rear, and an EXO roll cage.

I will write Threads on the various mods.

This is a link to more photos: MAGIX | My Photos

In the following photos, the first four are when my Zuki was stock, and the others are after the mods.
Attached Thumbnails
One Americans 1991 EFI, Suzuki Samurai (Zuki)-1.jpg  

One Americans 1991 EFI, Suzuki Samurai (Zuki)-2.jpg  

One Americans 1991 EFI, Suzuki Samurai (Zuki)-2b.jpg  

One Americans 1991 EFI, Suzuki Samurai (Zuki)-3.jpg  

One Americans 1991 EFI, Suzuki Samurai (Zuki)-4.jpg  

One Americans 1991 EFI, Suzuki Samurai (Zuki)-5.jpg  

One Americans 1991 EFI, Suzuki Samurai (Zuki)-7.jpg  

One Americans 1991 EFI, Suzuki Samurai (Zuki)-8.jpg  

One Americans 1991 EFI, Suzuki Samurai (Zuki)-9.jpg  

One Americans 1991 EFI, Suzuki Samurai (Zuki)-10.jpg  

Old 6th March 2009, 03:54   #2
BHPian

Hi Wayne,

Good to have you here. I could use your expertise,experience and stories to build mine up . I must say you have a very beautifull truck and really like what you have done to it. You have a perfect recipe of mods, which makes me dream on.Well.. one day mine will get there.

Looking at your other pics you have a beautiful backyard, looks very complimenting to have a play with your truck. Good on you mate.
Old 6th March 2009, 07:03   #3

I realize that you guys may not have access to the American vendors, or if you do, the cost is out excessively high. With that in mind, I have no problem providing you with how to do it yourself, or links to where you can find the info. In years past, I was deeply involved in Dune Buggies. This was before you could buy kits. I had the experience of making my own parts, and I often do today. I could have built just about everything on my truck, but for several reasons, I choose not to and went with kits on most of it.

Wayne
Old 6th March 2009, 08:13   #4
Sha
BHPian

@reddog1- your zuki looks great mate specially on snow. looking forward to see your modifications.
Old 6th March 2009, 09:25   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Wayne, that's a long list of mods. Am surprised that you haven't put lockers in as yet

Do start separate threads for each of the major mods. Why don't you start with SPoA first. That would be nice. I was thinking of DIY SPoA for my Gypsy, but will not be doing it now and taking the more extreme coil over route. Let's see where it goes -- not decided 100% as yet.

From your experience of seeing various rigs in action, have you seen examples of coil over rig with 4-5" lift that can be safely driven to the trails (and not towed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1 View Post
I realize that you guys may not have access to the American vendors, or if you do, the cost is out excessively high.
True. We don't have aftermarket modification parts available in India -- like in US or other parts. So we all, if we decide to buy these, have to get them imported from the US or other places.

Quote:
With that in mind, I have no problem providing you with how to do it yourself, or links to where you can find the info.
That would be great. I believe that once few vehicles start doing some good mods for off-roading themselves, then people will get more comfortable doing such mods.
Old 6th March 2009, 13:06   #6
BHPian

Hi wayne please start a new thread on dune buggies.there are alot of us interested in the dune buggy.
cheers
Old 6th March 2009, 16:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

awesome ride man. You really are enjouing your retired life, aren't you?

PS: do you have the building-up images. i mean the process. please upload, thanks
Old 6th March 2009, 23:29   #8

Sha - The last two photos were in February. I finely built enough snow under the front, I could go no further. I was in another person's tracks, which had taller tires. Had I made my own tracks, I could have gone much further. The other person, he has a Zuki, 4-link with air shocks and Toyota axles. I think his tires are 38-inch, with 3-inch wheel spacers.

khan_sultan - I choose not to do the lockers, due to priorities. My first priority was a more comfortable riding and driving Zuki, which meant softer springs and different tires. I also needed ground clearance. Reliability is also important, so that required other mods. When I do the SPOA Thread, I will explain with more detail. Lockers or no, you have to have a machine tough enough to get there and back.

I will provide links to American parts sources. You guys can see what you can do from there.

I think it is important to have a plan when building a vehicle, no mater what kind of vehicle it is. If you do not, you will spend a lot of unnecessary money and time. I think that is where I will start with the Build Threads. When we in America refer to a build, we are referring to our building of our vehicle. I am still working on how I want to present my build (modifications).

rallystar - I have been away from Dune Buggies for many years. I sold my last buggie about twenty years ago. That was back in the days of 35mm cameras, so I really do not have any photos. I will try to find you some photos, and some links. One of my buddies bought a Baja Bug last year, and he is modifying it even more. He may be able to help. I will put a photo at the end of this post.

SirAlec - I am still adapting to the idea of being retired. So many projects to do, and so little time. When you work, you have a little money, but no time. When you retire, you have more time, but almost no money.

When I do the Thread on my Build (modifications), I will post photos. Some photos will be mine, some from manufactures, and some from other Forums I frequent.

Wayne

Friends Zuki with 4-link/air shocks, my Zuki (before tires), my friend with the Baja Bug, and more of the Zuki with 4-link/air shocks:
Attached Thumbnails
One Americans 1991 EFI, Suzuki Samurai (Zuki)-1.jpg  

One Americans 1991 EFI, Suzuki Samurai (Zuki)-2.jpg  

One Americans 1991 EFI, Suzuki Samurai (Zuki)-4.jpg  

One Americans 1991 EFI, Suzuki Samurai (Zuki)-5.jpg  

One Americans 1991 EFI, Suzuki Samurai (Zuki)-7.jpg  

One Americans 1991 EFI, Suzuki Samurai (Zuki)-8.jpg  

One Americans 1991 EFI, Suzuki Samurai (Zuki)-9.jpg  

One Americans 1991 EFI, Suzuki Samurai (Zuki)-10.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 7th March 2009, 16:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Please a thread is badly needed exclusively for that Bug. I am sure Pavan Kadamji will be more interested in that

Most Viewed