Team-BHP - 10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/54693-10-dummies-guide-gurkha-17000-kms-done-10.html)

That is one hell of a review! Thats the best article on off roading I have read in a long time. Awesome stuff. I guess the Gurkha is King "Off" :D the road. Keep us posted!

Hey nice gurkha. How much did it cost you on road? Have you taken it for offroading?
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhandle (Post 1203562)
Ah! The jeep bug bite me and it did so hard. I went crazy over Mahindra Classic .............. skills like that of Samurai and other members, so please bear with me.

Rahul
Excellent write up. I have been following the gurkha for a long time. May be we should send all this feedback to Force Motors. Do they even know they have a great product but is being killed by their dealers? Like your story of waiting for two years for it and then finally getting it when Force motors came to know about it.
Similar to Fiat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohit Tripathi (Post 1288219)
Rahul
Excellent write up. I have been following the gurkha for a long time. May be we should send all this feedback to Force Motors. Do they even know they have a great product but is being killed by their dealers? Like your story of waiting for two years for it and then finally getting it when Force motors came to know about it.
Similar to Fiat.

Rohit many of enthusiasts have contacted Force. According to someone on this forum, there seems to some signs of change in the company but we have not seen anything productive come out of there yet.

hi guys, im logging in after long time. Any sugesstions which is better the OM616 IDI TURBO or the new one OM616 DI TURBO. which is the ideal tyre & alloy size for the gurkha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashu_82_2001 (Post 1291975)
hi guys, im logging in after long time. Any sugesstions which is better the OM616 IDI TURBO or the new one OM616 DI TURBO. which is the ideal tyre & alloy size for the gurkha.

OM616 IDI Turbo is a much better engine. There is no new OM616 DI Turbo. This engine is from the Force Motors stable is no relation of the OM616. It is a decent engine but not in the same league as the OM616. The OM616 has been discontinued due to emission challenges so if you are buying new this is out of the question.

The wheel PCD is the same as the Scorpio/Safari so any alloys for the scorpio/safar will fit the Gurkha. The stock tire is 7.50x16. If you want to maintain the same diameter and not reduce your ground clearance, you will have to get one of the following:
235/85/16 (Hard to find)
265/75/16
31x10.5x15.

well I am off to one more long trip today, driving down to mumbai and will go to pune as well to visit force factory next week. Lets see what responses i get. Any one with their set of questions please post here as i am going to provide this link to them as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhandle (Post 1292957)
well I am off to one more long trip today, driving down to mumbai and will go to pune as well to visit force factory next week. Lets see what responses i get. Any one with their set of questions please post here as i am going to provide this link to them as well.

If you could just wake up some of the senior managers and remind them about how many Bolero's and Sumos are sold and that they have a very good product that is in many ways superior to the Bolero and the Sumo.

Thanks for your suggestions 4x4 addict. Some valuable advice for me once i get my gurkha. Did you take delivery of your gurkha, as far as i remember you were planning to buy a pajero.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashu_82_2001 (Post 1293490)
Did you take delivery of your gurkha, as far as i remember you were planning to buy a pajero.

If you are interested in Gurkha, I think they have some units readily available without a wait.

I decided against the Pajero mainly because to a vehicle that costs $20 lakhs on-road the middle row seats only two people comfortably and it is sluggish on the highway when fully loaded. I don't want to spend 20 lakhs breathe the tail pipe of mhawks and 2.2 VVTI safaris that cost half as much.

If Toyota prices the Fortuner reasonably, I will get it. If not it will either be the 4WD Mhawk (due in about 2 months) or the 4WD Safari.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 1293529)
If you are interested in Gurkha, I think they have some units readily available without a wait.

I decided against the Pajero mainly because to a vehicle that costs $20 lakhs on-road the middle row seats only two people comfortably and it is sluggish on the highway when fully loaded. I don't want to spend 20 lakhs breathe the tail pipe of mhawks and 2.2 VVTI safaris that cost half as much.

If Toyota prices the Fortuner reasonably, I will get it. If not it will either be the 4WD Mhawk (due in about 2 months) or the 4WD Safari.

Your right didnt make sense going for pajero....Fortuner seems to be a good buy worth the price provided they quote a proper price for it. I guess Force hasnt been able to sell much of gurkha, no proper marketing & advertising will kill this product in gthe indian market. How do you know they still have some units available, do they have any with the OM616 IDI TURBO engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashu_82_2001 (Post 1295112)
How do you know they still have some units available, do they have any with the OM616 IDI TURBO engine.

when they get a certain amount of orders, they typically make a batch of about 20 or so vehicles. I had to wait 6 months for mine, but some people on the forum who inquired recently were told that you can get it in two weeks or so.

Ok guys I am back from Pune, but still at Bhilad/Mumbai.

TOmorrow driving down to Shirdi.

Gurkha now easily crosses 120. Touched 140 even -- Max speed on speedometer.

Climbed up a hill on gurkha which I am sure would be quite difficult for Safari or scorpio without any damage.

All I can say at this time -- have started to love Gurkha again am actually awestruck and amazed at it's capabilities.

There are more than 1 unit available and yes they would make if certain number of orders are there. If you want I can speak to people over there and get what numbers are required to make another batch.

There are also changes in the new batch - diff locks would now not be on hydraulic but mechanical.

Will post videos and pictures once I get back to Delhi by Monday evening.

rhandle:

did you visit the factory? Any updates on the OM611?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 1302227)
rhandle:

did you visit the factory? Any updates on the OM611?

Yes Sir I did visit the facility in Pune and all were very courtseous. They paid full attention to us and our complaints. Two persons from Service and one from R&D were deployed to take down the feedback and observe the vehicle.

611 is put in production and you would be seeing the TT next month with this engine. They would watch TT and look for feedbacks from 6 months to a year. After this period only they would start procedures for incorporating it in Trax range.

I have my doubts at this moment and guess you wont see Gurkha or Judo by 2010 even. They are though improving Gurkha and other vehicles with every batch.

Gurkha did not fail to me amaze me more than once yesterday. We climbed on a top of big hill (Hill Tambia) in Bhlad and then went on Vasda national park (Dang Forest) in night.