Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2009, 03:08   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Rahul, great review so far. I read your first post right after you posted, but I was waiting until you finished posting all the items listed in the below mentioned TOC. That hasn't happened yet. I am still wondering why you started the thread with a smiley.

Don't worry too much about writing skill, there is nothing to it. The goal is to express your feelings/experiences in a way that readers can relate to it, respond to it. And you have succeeded in it.

Thanks Samu bro' you always have encouraging words. I have finished but unfortunately they were not listed like TOC. Please check the firs page again.

The first off-road experience was in Rishikesh. The vehicle just went over everything effortlessly. In Chilla forest even the Tavera and Safari 2wd are allowed. I tried some roads which were more rough and there were no tracks, Gurkha didn’t break a sweat. But till this I also did not know how to actually use the jargon 4wd in life!

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gin-rishi.jpg
10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-chilla-forest.jpg

Now I had also Joined NIOC by this time. Ultimately the day came 25th Jan 2009 ( it was my 11th Marriage anniversary), I went to the NCR OTR with my wife and kids. Naveen and Amit helped me a lot. All the people were quite helpful and co-operative, urging me on.

The very first thing I did was to go down on a slope. I pushed my vehicle in 4 Hi And I received the first lesson from Amit, he shouted “Rahul no CAB while going down” I asked what I was told it is no Clutch, Acceleration or Brakes. I was elated when I reached down.

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-preparing-move-down.jpg
10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-niotrgup.jpg
10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-fun-slush.jpg

I parked my car where all had parked and then there all the guys started having fun going on the tracks, climbing up and down. I did not know what to do. Thankfully Naveen approached me and we started our talks. I requested him to be with me, while I took a round. Few others also came and talked to me and prodded me to go on and said it is usual nothing gr8 you can do it. I only know how many butterflies were there in my tummy! Anyways Naveen guided me through a small track to get accustomed to 4wd driving. Then he took me to few climbs and descents. I guess I did pretty well over there. Slowly I lost some of my inhibitions, like you lose after your first kiss. I was now enjoying the vehicle and it’s capabilities. My Wife who had till now not driven the vehicle took over and yes it again proved it’s worth and she loved driving it, up and down those small climbs.

The only problem I had was how to fail the vehicle. Ultimately I did after getting it stuck in slush. Amit helped me out and I learned second important lesson be careful about your acceleration. Do not over do it neither under do it, this will lead to digging in of tyres and thus chances of getting stuck. I was then in yellow jeep with one of the eldest and most experienced person (sorry I forgot the name), where I got my third lesson, that is while passing through slush just keep moving your steering a little to both sides. This would help in cleaning the grooves and giving the tyres a grip. You can chk the videos of it getting pulled out on 25th Jan NCR OTR thread.

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-day-after-otr.jpg

At the same time he told me the Biggest secret and my 4th lesson, “Never Ever fight the nature, as soon as you get the instinct/pointer you are having resistance - Back-UP” Yes had we known this we may not have got stuck there in Corbett twice. The more resistance we faced more we pushed against it ultimately getting stuck deeper and deeper. Some one has rightly said “Life is too short to learn from experience” I am so glad that I am with such an experienced team over here in Delhi and in India because of TBHP.

Lone spectator when went for second time:

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-lone-spectator.jpg

I went out again once more. This time for practice. No slush but lots of climbing up and descending down. Even crossed a ditch. Thinking would at least get a chance to operate the diff. locks but again never had to use them. Climbing up was a challenge as well.

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-g1.jpg
10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-g2.jpg
10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gup1.jpg
10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gup2.jpg
10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gup3.jpg
10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gup4.jpg

Drove on the banks and it was fun.

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gbn0.jpg
10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gon-bank3.jpg
10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gbank4.jpg
10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gb2.jpg
On the ditches or going up just placed it in a 4L and followed the basic four advices I got on first OTR and it was like piece of cake. Is it me or the vehicle?

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gdit1.jpg
10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gdit2.jpg
10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gdit3.jpg
10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gdit4.jpg
10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gdit5.jpg
10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gdit6.jpg

One thing I know I am truly enjoying this vehicle. I can go to the place of off-roading in comforts of AC, and then have all the fun I want.

Now you guys can decide whether it is worth it? You can ask questions and I would try my level best to answer them, not technically but as a normal driver who loves his car!

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th March 2009 at 15:34. Reason: Pics left aligned.
rhandle is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2009, 03:31   #32
BHPian

The angry smiley I have used is to let me find the thread more easily, or you can say I am fascinated by red color and there is no other smiley in Red!

And yes there was a Innova and a sumo who were following us, and as soon as we landed in Ditch they changed their course!

More pics are here!

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gcl1.jpg

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gcl2.jpg

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gcl3.jpg

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gcl4.jpg

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gcl5.jpg

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gcl6.jpg

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gcl7.jpg

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gcl8.jpg

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gd1.jpg

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gd2.jpg

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gad1.jpg

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gda2.jpg

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gda3.jpg

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gd10.jpg

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gd11.jpg

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gcl.jpg

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-btr.jpg

Now what do you guys think Is it worth ???

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th March 2009 at 15:35. Reason: Pics left aligned.
rhandle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2009, 04:02   #33
BHPian

And yes if anyone is wondering who took these mind blowing pics while I was driving is one of the most renowned names in Jeep Circle -- it is Arka! He had few good words for the vehicle as well!
rhandle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2009, 08:03   #34
Senior - BHPian

Superb pics rhandle. Good you enjoy your vehicle..
Old 9th March 2009, 11:30   #35
Senior - BHPian

Simply awesome. Now thats is how to use a GURKHA. Keep having fun bro.
Old 9th March 2009, 11:41   #36
Senior - BHPian

Rahul fantastic, this monster is very capable!

Now this tops the list, was thinking of a Bolero(CRDI) or a Safari...
Old 9th March 2009, 12:19   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

@rhandle, keep the pics coming ! The doubts have not been about the vehicle's capability as much as it's availbility !

You can try remove the rear step - will give you a better exit angle. Notice pics GCL3, GCL4 & GCL6 above.

Also, can appreciate your liking this more than the other ute's around : I myself like the styling of my Sumo better than the Safari's. While the Safari has an amazing presence, I still find the Sumo better.
Old 9th March 2009, 12:24   #38
Team-BHP Support

Good review mate!
Your "Innova and Sumo" following us reminded me of our experience at Jaisalmer, where an innova followed us into a very sandy path, and ended up getting stuck upto the axles.
Unfortunately, that also meant our escape route was blocked, and even after burning the clutch to nothing, the innova taxi guy could not take her out. We had to take a different route out through the bushes, and the safari got her first 4x4 battle scars from the bushes!
Old 9th March 2009, 12:36   #39
Senior - BHPian

Congrats rhandle on your Gurkha. Reminded me of our old Gypsy 4x4. Btw are you the same Rahul Roy, who used to come to Chauhan's to get his Red RD fixed sometime around 2002.
Old 9th March 2009, 12:46   #40
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic review and great jeep, you are really putting it to the tasks the vehicle meant for!

You should rethink on the crash guard on front, or atleast change the mounting points to avoid the crashing while tackling deep ditches.
Old 9th March 2009, 12:50   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@rhandle, keep the pics coming ! The doubts have not been about the vehicle's capability as much as it's availbility !

You can try remove the rear step - will give you a better exit angle. Notice pics GCL3, GCL4 & GCL6 above.

Also, can appreciate your liking this more than the other ute's around : I myself like the styling of my Sumo better than the Safari's. While the Safari has an amazing presence, I still find the Sumo better.
Yes I am planning to make the rear step fold upwards, you know kind of joint. Where as soon as it hits anything if moves up and then just falls back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Good review mate!
Your "Innova and Sumo" following us reminded me of our experience at Jaisalmer, where an innova followed us into a very sandy path, and ended up getting stuck upto the axles.
Unfortunately, that also meant our escape route was blocked, and even after burning the clutch to nothing, the innova taxi guy could not take her out. We had to take a different route out through the bushes, and the safari got her first 4x4 battle scars from the bushes!
I am being sinister here, but don't you feel something like this at times ==> , you are like come come, when you will get stuck then only you would know, I wish to come forward and tell you not to follow me you wud call me names.

But guess we should have a warning at back of our cars "Follow - but Intelligently"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Congrats rhandle on your Gurkha. Reminded me of our old Gypsy 4x4. Btw are you the same Rahul Roy, who used to come to Chauhan's to get his Red RD fixed sometime around 2002.
Yes. I am the same. So we have met over there. Small world! and guess it helps to have a name like mine - LoL

Last edited by rhandle : 9th March 2009 at 12:51.
rhandle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2009, 12:56   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
Yes. I am the same. So we have met over there. Small world! and guess it helps to have a name like mine - LoL
This is Anirudh, guy with a silver then blue and then a red RD and then a Pulsar. Short and thin chappie ( does it ring a bell) And yes indeed it is a small world
Old 9th March 2009, 12:59   #43
Senior - BHPian

Rahul the last picture is very good and a AD material for Gurkha.

Rahul i guess by removing the steps and the front crash guard you will more space to clear the obstacle without any problems.

Keep more and more pictures coming in along with your writing.

Last edited by gowda79 : 9th March 2009 at 13:02.
Old 9th March 2009, 13:28   #44
Senior - BHPian

wonderful pics rhandle , Does Force put the Mercedes logo only on OM611 engine Gurkha or on all Gurkha's for the G-Wagon connection ?

Guys just a question why T-BHP homepage shouldn't have these kinds of pics from members
instead of Red Skoda RS.
Is there any sponsorship or support from Skoda to the community ?

Last edited by amitk26 : 9th March 2009 at 13:29.
Old 9th March 2009, 14:11   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Guys just a question why T-BHP homepage shouldn't have these kinds of pics from members
instead of Red Skoda RS.
Is there any sponsorship or support from Skoda to the community ?
Wonderful, maybe the M [G] ods will think about it!

Most Viewed