Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2009, 19:33   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
Do not even think anyone will try comparing Trax 4X4 to xenon. I am a fan of xenon but when it comes to serious off roading I will chose the Gurkha any day.
leaf spring set is is suspension setup ,used by vehicles like sumo, M&M vehicles,Xenon rear suspension. I hope you got it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
It is. This is the ownership thread, let us not go off track with its intent.

For you comparison, make a post in the Tata Xenon thread and not here.
There is no point comparing the Gurkha and Xenon. Completely different market segments. Only thing they have in common is that they both are available with 4WD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligator View Post
Hi Guys,
Went to Force motors yesterday, they quoted me INR 5,27075/- Ex Showroom price for gurkha in THANE. I know some one was saying it's close to 8.5 grand in banglore. why such a big difference in price ?
This sounds like a good deal until you get your vehicle and realize that it has the BSII engine, No PS or AC, Two extra doors and no 4WD. These guys have quoted you the price on the GAMA. If Gurkha is available at this price, I will take a dozen. Thank you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
Okay, I myself would hate to see this thread getting Hi-jacked by Tata Xenon.

In the end I can just say these are two different animals all together. Xenon wud any day beat Gurkha in terms of load carrying capacity whether in people or Milk cans and also speed on highway.
Agreed. No point in comparing these two. Completely different animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Tata Xenon - SA 4x4 Community Forum - The only forum for the offroad and 4x4 enthusiast

Some interesting internation take on Tata Xenon, as usual, its about the lac of quality.

i will NEVER buy dubbelKmiddelA like that again!!! i thought this was a good buy but after 3k km the injectorpump fell off, fixed under warrantee after i towed the piece of sh$%^^ 300 km to windhoek then my technichians hit a traffic sign trying to avoid a donkey,
R 38000 damage ( bumper, grille, headlight, bonnet, windshield, dent in roof) took 10 weeks for the parts at half the priche of a new one THIS SUX
lucky for me the techies took out a cow and totaled the tata. tata is now in tataheaven and im a happy man TATA: NEVER AGAIN!!!

So a single users quote on a blog defines the quality and reliability of a Tata Xenon. Great..
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2009, 23:41   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
This sounds like a good deal until you get your vehicle and realize that it has the BSII engine, No PS or AC, Two extra doors and no 4WD. These guys have quoted you the price on the GAMA. If Gurkha is available at this price, I will take a dozen. Thank you..
Very Nice. Guess I would take 3 more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Agreed. No point in comparing these two. Completely different animals.
So a single users quote on a blog defines the quality and reliability of a Tata Xenon. Great..
I guess you need to take the users issue with a pinch of salt. Over here it was just my review and even GTO said it has swayed many people to Gurkha from Safari or Mahindra "thorough bred" vehicles. He just put forward a perspective of a user who has used this vehicle. He has not made any comment based on just one user report. BTW if you check our own TBHP thread there are many people who have cried after purchasing Safari. I have certain marks to give to Safari in terms of being very thoughtfully designed small features but at the end, it was not the vehicle I wished for. Just because it was not the vehicle which is delivering my expectations I wont call it crap, but wud definately highlight any negatives which I feel to any other user who may ask. I share knowledge whatever little I have with the hope that the end user would also apply his brains, his R&D and his analystical skills to confirm whether that vehicle is good for him or not.

COMING back to Topic:

I have found certain changes coming in me since I have been driving Gurkha, has any other 4x4 user sensed these kind of changes in him/her?
  1. I have started listening to Rock, I am listeing even to Judas Priest. May not shock you, but till now I had been listening to Jagjit singh. I hope I am not doing this to cut out the outside noise coming in my vehicle :(
  2. Suddenly I have developed interest in photography. Bought a digital SLR camera. Guess would need photography lessons as well. Samurai are you listening!
  3. More interest in Outdoors now. Purchased an inflatable bed and now looking for tents.
  4. I have become more tolerant towards zippy car drivers and do not swer when cars come speedly towards me, I just keep on driving waiting patiently!! And yes not using much of swear words as well. Suddenly all cycle walahs and truck walahs are giving respect.
  5. I have become more humble and do not even try to race with a M800 zipping past me, is their some kind of realisation dawning upon me.
I guess it might be just that I have turned 36 or is it the 4x4 effect!!
rhandle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2009, 07:32   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have found certain changes coming in me since I have been driving Gurkha, has any other 4x4 user sensed these kind of changes in him/her?
  1. I have started listening to Rock, I am listeing even to Judas Priest. May not shock you, but till now I had been listening to Jagjit singh. I hope I am not doing this to cut out the outside noise coming in my vehicle :(
  2. Suddenly I have developed interest in photography. Bought a digital SLR camera. Guess would need photography lessons as well. Samurai are you listening!
  3. More interest in Outdoors now. Purchased an inflatable bed and now looking for tents.
  4. I have become more tolerant towards zippy car drivers and do not swer when cars come speedly towards me, I just keep on driving waiting patiently!! And yes not using much of swear words as well. Suddenly all cycle walahs and truck walahs are giving respect.
  5. I have become more humble and do not even try to race with a M800 zipping past me, is their some kind of realisation dawning upon me.
I guess it might be just that I have turned 36 or is it the 4x4 effect!!

Interesting changes in one's life eh? Am sure you've humbled yourself many a times before other road rage users too!

Cos at the end of the day, you know what you are capable of!
Old 19th March 2009, 19:04   #94
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

This is an ad in the Tamil Newspaper "Dhina Thanthi" of 16/03/09.

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-gurkha160309.jpg

So some dealers are aware of Gurkha!
Old 19th March 2009, 20:43   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

May the Force be with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Interesting changes in one's life eh? Am sure you've humbled yourself many a times before other road rage users too!

Cos at the end of the day, you know what you are capable of!
Borrowing from a Lucas creation, I guess, the Force is now with him. When will the Force be with the rest of us, I ponder? Master Yoda - give us deliverance!
Old 19th March 2009, 21:25   #96
Senior - BHPian

What are they calling the 13+1. Some Cruiser?
it actually looks good in LWB avtar.
Old 20th March 2009, 17:12   #97
BHPian

5+1 seating? Does it mean a front bench type configuration? Does the Gurkha/Gama don't come with front row captains' seat?
Old 20th March 2009, 17:57   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
5+1 seating? Does it mean a front bench type configuration? Does the Gurkha/Gama don't come with front row captains' seat?
Gurkha is 6 +1

2+3+2 config.
Old 25th March 2009, 10:49   #99
BHPian

I had a funny incident with Gurkha. Recently I along with my family and one more family of friend decided to go on a picnic. I showed them few small climbs on Gurkha, being very careful as I never wanted to get stuck in front of them.

Then my friend expressed a semi desire to drive Gurkha in the rough patch. This guy has never driven a 4x4 before and the vehicles he drives are Esteem and Ikon.

I took the vehicle near the climb and engaged 4x4 low. I moved down and out of the vehicle, so that I can guide. Also asked the music system to be switched off, A/C off and windows rolled as other safety measure (this was done after clicking the picture). Asked him to drive in 2nd gear as normal.
10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-15032009180.jpg

He did it a couple of times, with each time the climb angle increased and had fun. When he got down he told me yar this was nothing. Even my Ikon would have done it. In fact he went on to tell me why you guys make such a fuss about moving up these kind of obstacles. It's nothing but slightly more bigger speed breaker kind of things!!

Immediately my heart sanked and face dropped. But then on second thoughts I realized there could not have been a better compliment than this to Gurkha. He was feeling right at home, while doing this.
rhandle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2009, 11:34   #100
Senior - BHPian

Rhandle,

It is just an assumption that even Ikon will do it. Come on, everyone has high hopes when it comes to their vehicles.

No need to let your heart sink.
Old 25th March 2009, 11:45   #101
Team-BHP Support

@Rhandle reminds me of a time, when a friend of mine seated as a pillion asked me to ride faster.
I was doing about 60+ on a city road.
She did not believe we were doing 60 as the 30 on her Scooty feels faster.

Completely agree with this:
Quote:
But then on second thoughts I realized there could not have been a better compliment than this to Gurkha. He was feeling right at home, while doing this.
Old 25th March 2009, 11:52   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic pictures and review there Rahul !!!

Appreciate your effort in sharing the experience with Gurkha!
Old 25th March 2009, 12:38   #103
Senior - BHPian

Just went through the whole thread and pictures(with some of collegues watching the pics with their mouths open!). Trax can borrow some of the pictures from this thread for their advertisements compared to the one posted from dinathanthi!

Nice review.
Old 25th March 2009, 12:56   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When he got down he told me yar this was nothing. Even my Ikon would have done it. In fact he went on to tell me why you guys make such a fuss about moving up these kind of obstacles. It's nothing but slightly more bigger speed breaker kind of things!!
Invite him to the next OTR in his Ikon.
Old 25th March 2009, 13:09   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
yar this was nothing. Even my Ikon would have done it.
@ rhandle: Yar this was nothing. Even my BICYCLE would have done it. Did you tell him that?

Most Viewed