Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2009, 14:29   #256
BHPian

WoW What a thread, literally missed my Lunch reading all the 17 pages form Morning
Thanks Rahul for all the Lovely pics & videos

Cheers
Sunil
Old 1st February 2010, 22:43   #257
BHPian

Diff locks can be fun, and here is a video why they say diff. locks are worth their weight in gold!

Old 2nd February 2010, 08:45   #258
Senior - BHPian

All happened in a matter of 10 seconds boy, AWESOME .
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:20   #259
Team-BHP Support

I have personally experienced this in my cousin's Gurkha. Manual diff locks is just...wow!
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:49   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This is the best example of where a diff lock is needed. When the a wheel on the front and rear diff is slipping 4x4 pretty much becomes useless without some soft of LSD/MLD.
Old 2nd February 2010, 13:21   #261
Team-BHP Support

Yeah, it shows the problem clearly. The Gurkha here has traction only in two wheels, one in each axle. That means one wheel in each axle has no traction. In case of open front and rear differential, the vehicle is stuck. By locking both the differentials, every wheel receives 25% torque. And the wheels with traction are able to turn and move the vehicle out.
Old 18th February 2010, 00:50   #262
BHPian

Hi

Hi rhandle:
How is your Gurkha doing?? Any updates?
Somehow lost interest on Gurkha as Force motors are not good listeners.
Old 8th March 2010, 16:57   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBerry View Post
Hi rhandle:
How is your Gurkha doing?? Any updates?
Somehow lost interest on Gurkha as Force motors are not good listeners.
Force motors are never listening. In case if you want to buy the vehicle, they are available ex-stock.

I have lost hopes on OM611 Gurkha, and am looking towards Gypsy or THAR now. Would have booked Gypsy but trying the CSD route, and yet to check what is "HARVEST GREEN" in Gypsy. Otherwise RED is my choice.

Recently (three days ago) got my water pump changed in Gurkha along with air warn indicator, set me back by 4K :(

Hopefully this week I would know whether I am booking the Gypsy or waiting for the THAR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Invite him to the next OTR in his Ikon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
@Rhandle , take your friend again to the same spot with his Ikon, keep your vehicle along since it will be needed to tow the Ikon to the service station in more than piece.
or as samurai san said, invite him to the next OTR, with him IKON.

Ford Fiesta, pictures taken this morning while coming to office ... never underestimate anything. Except for front bumper crack everything was fine. How he climbed it and managed to drive it that long without hitting in to the side rails means he was not drunk but trying the stunt ... might be a crazy bet or something!!
Attached Thumbnails
10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-p2.jpg  

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-p4.jpg  

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-p1.jpg  

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-p3.jpg  

Old 9th March 2010, 09:56   #264
BHPian

Gurkha's New Found Capability

I had the opportunity to relearn the fording depth of the Gurkha last Sunday at an OTR at Lonavala.

The Gurkha could cross a 50 metre lake , bonnet fully submerged ,water coming upto 1/3rd the windshield unscathed and then tow a stalled Gypsy for another 20 kms.

No one had a video camera that night and Soumya (Genesis) has a beautiful long exposure photograph of the Gurkha submerging under water and coming out.
There were extremely tense moments for me and jaw-dropping from the onlookers.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ala-games.html

I wonder which other STOCK Indian vehicle can repeat this performance with or without a snorkel and this itself in my opinion is an Indian record in itself.
I am out to repeat the same in broad day-light this time with half the wind-shield down.

A beginner like me,with only a few months in off-roading, could have benefitted with comments,suggestions and crtitcism from experienced off-roaders...

Last edited by mohan : 9th March 2010 at 10:02.
Old 9th March 2010, 18:29   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan View Post
I had the opportunity to relearn the fording depth of the Gurkha last Sunday at an OTR at Lonavala.

The Gurkha could cross a 50 metre lake , bonnet fully submerged ,water coming upto 1/3rd the windshield unscathed and then tow a stalled Gypsy for another 20 kms.

No one had a video camera that night and Soumya (Genesis) has a beautiful long exposure photograph of the Gurkha submerging under water and coming out.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ala-games.html

I wonder which other STOCK Indian vehicle can repeat this performance with or without a snorkel and this itself in my opinion is an Indian record in itself.
I am out to repeat the same in broad day-light this time with half the wind-shield down.

A beginner like me,with only a few months in off-roading, could have benefitted with comments,suggestions and crtitcism from experienced off-roaders...
Hi Mohan,

Try doing, the same thing with out the snorkel and you'll know the difference.

Check the G-Box/T-Case/Diff Oils.

Regards,

Arka

PS - I don't know of the National Record, my personal best was 14kms, headlight deep, with out snorkel in my MM540XD, in Dec.2006
Old 9th March 2010, 18:37   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Mohan,

Try doing, the same thing with out the snorkel and you'll know the difference.

Check the G-Box/T-Case/Diff Oils.

Regards,

Arka

PS - I don't know of the National Record, my personal best was 14kms, headlight deep, with out snorkel in my MM540XD, in Dec.2006

plus check for-

water in
-
self starter
alternator

wait for surprises to throw up in future like a fused bulb etc. I suggest please don't demonstrate it again to convince us about your feat.

Avoid water crossing as much as possible!
Old 9th March 2010, 18:38   #267
Senior - BHPian

Unbelievable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Arka, and you came out unscathed after this trail? White smokes eh? Where did you do this?

Spike
Old 9th March 2010, 18:45   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Arka, and you came out unscathed after this trail? White smokes eh? Where did you do this?

Spike
I'd reckon HE Did it in Palar river bed!!
Old 9th March 2010, 19:00   #269
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan View Post

First thing that came to my mind was that you were incredibly lucky to pull it off. Too many things could have gone wrong here. If you had stalled the engine, if the tyres encountered clay (common in river bed), if water entered some critical part, if ... I am surely experts can add some more.

You were basically inviting flood damage here. Most of us offroaders keep a healthy distance from any water challenge that is more than 2 ft. It is simply not worth the problems that might follow.

GTO has been Jeeping since 1997, and this is what he says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Personally, I HATE offroading through water for precisely those reasons. Alternators, starters, air-con compressors aren't built water-proof. Whatever your 4x4.
Old 9th March 2010, 19:17   #270
Senior - BHPian

Me too hate doing waterfording!!!

Tried a couple of time when I started off-roading and had to change the diff oils, get the alternator serviced, started motor changed. All in all one day of fun cost me alteast 10+ grands on y MM550.

Now I am just a happy spectator from a distance when it comes to water fording!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks