Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2010, 11:27   #361
Team-BHP Support

72Bullet, I asked the question because it looked like tyres were spinning, which can't happen if diff-locks were engaged. So I was thinking may be only rear diffs were engaged.

There is no torque transfer here, this is not LSD or TCS. In manual diff-locks, each tyre would get 25% torque all the time, whether there is traction or not.
Old 11th May 2010, 11:43   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by '72 Bullet View Post
@ rhandle Looking at the video, it looks as if Diff locks are engaged. A little over halfway up the slope, the front right wheel starts spinning, soon after that the left starts spinning & kicking up dust as well. My logic is that once the right tyre lost traction and started spinning, why would the same happen on the left? As in the torque would not get transmitted to the left tyre unless the right one found a firm footing right?

I'm sorry if my logic sounds very confusing, I don't really know how to put it across more effectively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
72Bullet, I asked the question because it looked like tyres were spinning, which can't happen if diff-locks were engaged. So I was thinking may be only rear diffs were engaged.

There is no torque transfer here, this is not LSD or TCS. In manual diff-locks, each tyre would get 25% torque all the time, whether there is traction or not.
Samurai's point is valid.

Check from 27 secs to 29 secs. The front left also starts pushing dust as the track has been already turned in to dusty patch because of Gypsies coming up and going down.

There were only small steps at one or two places because of which application of diff. locks were not warranted as climb itself is not big enough, and no where the tires would be above ground for ample amount of time for diff. locks use. With the slightest of momentum the vehicle would be firmly footed on ground.

Here is one video where we tested the diff locks of Gurkha and hopefully that would help to clear some doubt.

And since I did it twice here are both the videos!

Last edited by rhandle : 11th May 2010 at 11:47.
Old 11th May 2010, 15:45   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

No talk of Torque transfer.

Why can't both tyres slip with diff-locks engaged? If there's not enough traction, all 4 tyres can slip (albeit all 4 at the same speed and with the same torque )

My reasoning is that with an open diff, if the right tyre started spinning, it would carry on spinning and the left would not have any torque supplied to it (so it would not come into play). What we see in the video is that the right spins (50% T) <left has traction so not spinning (0% T)>, shortly after that, the left joins the right <and both are spinning and kicking up dust together>, this leads me to believe that diff-locks are applied and the rear is doing all the work while the 2 front tyres are merrily spinning away with 25% torque and kicking up dust.

@ rhandle as you say the diff-locks were not engaged, I totally believe you. My reasoning above is definitely flawed, but then I want to understand how and why the left started spinning as well.
Old 11th May 2010, 16:16   #364
Team-BHP Support

@72bullet, your reasoning has a flaw. Gurkha has manual diff locks. Now if one diff locks had been applied, both the front wheels would have started spinning at the same time.
So if one tire starts spinning later, the case could be this.
Car goes up slope, one tire is spinning due to loss of traction, rear tires have better traction and keep pulling vehicle up, the front right tire also loses traction due to some stone etc., rolling down and dislodging something on the slope.
So first only front left is spinning, then after some time as the vehicle shakes and moves, the front left also starts losing traction.

I have had this thing on safari which has no diff locks.
The front left tire got free and was rotating.
The front right tire would intermittantly spin as it had some loss of traction.
Old 11th May 2010, 19:49   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@72bullet:

Your logic will make sense for LSD and Auto lockers but for manually locking diffs both should spin together.
Old 12th May 2010, 13:12   #366
BHPian

Aha! I get it now
Old 4th June 2010, 09:38   #367
BHPian

Slightly O.T but relevant in a twisted way.

In honor of Mohan and Rahul and the mystical magical powers of the Gurkha diff locks, I ended up composing a small poem last evening over sms. (Please excuse the use of hindi, just does not do justice in english)

Ghar ke hifazat ke liye, maine ek gurkha laya
Lekin Kambakth, Tala lagane ke bajaye, Tala lagane ke bajaye
Diff lock lagaya aur pahadon mein bhag gaya!
Old 5th June 2010, 09:41   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Slightly O.T but relevant in a twisted way.

In honor of Mohan and Rahul and the mystical magical powers of the Gurkha diff locks, I ended up composing a small poem last evening over sms. (Please excuse the use of hindi, just does not do justice in english)

Lekin Kambakth, Tala lagane ke bajaye, Tala lagane ke bajaye
Diff lock lagaya aur pahadon mein bhag gaya!

LOL Good one Soumya. here is the reply ... and its all in good fun

Le Leta jo Jeep gar, ghar ka bhala ho jata,

Ghar ki hifazat ka sara intezam ho jata,

Hum toh usme lage hi rahte ghar main, aur sare pados Ka Hazoom usko theek karne ghar hi aaa jata,

Itne logo ki bheed main ghar ka bura koi kaise kar jata

Pahodon ko bhool Ja AE "Gurkha", Jeep tere ghar ka sazo samaan ho jata!!

Last edited by rhandle : 5th June 2010 at 09:43.
Old 24th November 2010, 13:08   #369
BHPian

4H 1st gear, at times 2nd and Gurkha has the smaller turning radius than any Gypsy or Jeep!

Enjoyed the fun.
Old 24th November 2010, 14:16   #370
BHPian

WoW Looks Awesome, Slush Fest what a feast. Thanks for sharing Rahul.

Cheers
Sunil
Old 24th November 2010, 22:45   #371
BHPian

Thanks Sunil. Here is one more - please excuse the frustration when Gurkha is with not the regular driver and the only vehicle which are near are just Gypsy or 3B - Chances of they pulling out the Gurkha - dont even want to think let alone try!

Old 25th January 2011, 16:23   #372
BHPian

Great Thread!

Really a great thread Rahul. I read through your entire thread and love your perseverance, love for the vehicle and keen observing power. All the videos are just a great treat to watch. Your ownership thread is like a guide on Gurkha.
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. Any recent updates ?
Old 3rd April 2011, 11:08   #373
BHPian

Re: Great Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Really a great thread Rahul. I read through your entire thread and love your perseverance, love for the vehicle and keen observing power. All the videos are just a great treat to watch. Your ownership thread is like a guide on Gurkha.
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. Any recent updates ?
Now after two years and 40K kms, I would really not recommend Gurkha now.

The frustration comes more because of the company rather than vehicle.

I ordered them OEM wheel rims in September 2010 when I had purchased Cooper STT 235x85x16. The stock has come now, I had to purchase safari rims and spacers to get that fitted.

The accelerator Pedal broke - That Pedal comes for INR 4000/-

The knuckle joint broke, it took them 3 months to get it. Till then vehicle was standing.

Force Motors is like --->
Old 3rd April 2011, 17:25   #374
BHPian

Re: 10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done

Rahul,
Very sorry to hear your bad experience. I searched around for a used Gurkha but could not find one. So i finally purchased a Govt auction MM 540. Restoration is nearly complete. WRT Gurkha, what you have voiced is a common complaint. I guess the company is loosing the good will of its dedicated users.
Old 11th May 2011, 21:17   #375
BHPian

Re: 10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done

Actually the way company is promoting this vehicle, oops guess promoting is the wrong word, ^&*% do not know what they are doing to promote this vehicle.

BTW got a chance to Drive Xenon and Tata Safari on Dunes and it was lot more Fun. I doubt if Gurkha could have conquered the dunes like they did....

Check what I am talking about..

and

rhandle is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks