Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2009, 17:20   #76
BHPian

The final outcome is great, just the way I would have done it. More pics please
Old 11th November 2009, 23:21   #77
BHPian

Hi Satnam,
Looks like you are enjoying in india with your jeep. It indeed looks really nice with those Hella's as they match well with the main Headlight/grill.

Anyways how is the AC fitting going on? Do post some pics of the interior.

Amar
Old 12th November 2009, 08:10   #78
Senior - BHPian

Amar,

Not had the AC fitted as the local mistri by my reckoning are not very skilled. They insist on fitting the condenser on the front bumper which destroys the visual lines of the 550.

sierrakamat,

The total cost including purchase and registration is about 2.50L. Main cost was the BFGoodrich tyres and a recon xd3p engine. Its not that easy to find 16" alloys with the 139.7 PCD pattern plus I quite like the brute look of the army rims. The only rims I found with the 139.7pcd in 16" were the Lenso alloys similar to what Kittu has on his 550. However we have no local Lenso dealers.

Ashley,
The 550 is mainly used on village tracks and roads so the BFG AT's are quite a good choice for local use.

Here is picture of the seats fitted, still waiting for the material to do the covers.

My MM550-imag0160.jpg

I will post a few more pictures when I am back in the UK as Airtel GPRS is very slow.

Last edited by bigman : 12th November 2009 at 08:11.
Old 12th November 2009, 17:20   #79
BHPian

Satnam bai nice one! those hellas really enhanced the look of the jeep.

I see that the wiper system is still pending but as you mentioned it will be in place soon.

I like the way the front number plate looks the font and all. Post some pics of the jeeps behind I remember you were running low on space so would like to see how the rear number plate went. Did you go for a square plate?
Old 17th November 2009, 13:12   #80
Senior - BHPian

Bailee Jatt Boy,

Wipers are work in progress and should be done when my cousin has some spare time on his hands. I also replaced the desi glowplug timer with a BERU one. There are some minor issues which need to be resolved such as air getting into the fuel lines which results in the jeep needing 2 cranks to start instead of 1. We did bleed the system for air but it still got in so we may try replacing some of the fuel hoses to try and find the culprit. Alternative is to take it to same place where Harjeev is now getting his work done as the local mechanics do not appear to be too clued up on the xd3p and instead claim that all glowplug engines have starting issues and suggest a DI engine. My old VW Golf in England used to start without any problems even when the temperature was -5 degrees C so I refuse to buy into their fairy tales.

Here are some more photos including one of the rear and one of the jeep in a drainage channel.

My MM550-jeepragoi.jpg

My MM550-jeeprear.jpg

Last edited by bigman : 17th November 2009 at 13:21.
Old 17th November 2009, 17:14   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
I also replaced the desi glowplug timer with a BERU one. There are some minor issues which need to be resolved such as air getting into the fuel lines which results in the jeep needing 2 cranks to start instead of 1. We did bleed the system for air but it still got in so we may try replacing some of the fuel hoses to try and find the culprit.
My 550 had starting issues recently, which happened in two phases:
(1) the fuel line from the diesel filter going into the engine was blocked. As per the mechanic, sometimes the pipes swell up from inside causing improper flow of fuel. The pipe was replaced and problem solved.
(2) couple of weeks later as the temperature dropped, the jeep started giving cold starting trouble. All the 4 glow plugs were opened and inspected. 2 plug were completely blown out. Replaced all 4 plugs and now the jeep starts in half self :-)

another diagnostic my mechanic had suggested was to check the diesel filter. That is before starting the engine, pump the hand primer to check for tightness. If the issue is related to air getting in, then the pump will not be tight and you may need to pump it a few times to get the air out.

hope this helps. lets us know what you find.

Cheers!
Old 18th November 2009, 17:19   #82
Senior - BHPian

looks clean,love the ride. Specially the tires stands out.
Old 19th November 2009, 07:09   #83
Senior - BHPian

Hi Satnam
You ride look superb. Very nicely managed.
Buddy pl give me a couple of days to reply to your queries, been a little busy with some family matters!!!
And next time whenever you are in India, we should definitely get together!!!
Old 19th November 2009, 10:51   #84
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Harjeev, would appreciate that as I think the Jeep has had enough of the local quacks and needs to see a real jeep doctor.

One local even suggested I use an OEM type glowplug BERU timer (which I bought) in series with the desi timer he had fitted previously. Could not get my head around the logic of using two timers and told him to just replace the desi one with the proper timer. Then he tells me the Beru one has no whistle so I have to explain to him how to wire the glowplug light display up. On the plus side he did say there is nothing wrong with a heater diesel engine as his car had one and started first time everytime which was in stark contrast to the usual "get DI engine installed"

Yes I wass also a bit dissapointed we could not meet up. The kids and other half spent too much time in several malls in Gurgaon and we were cutting it fine to get to IGIA on time.
Old 25th February 2010, 11:21   #85
BHPian

hey brother can I get the rims which r there on this jeep.. please.. I am ready to pay for it and I can give you a very nice deal..
Old 25th February 2010, 12:05   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassy1313 View Post
hey brother can I get the rims which r there on this jeep.. please.. I am ready to pay for it and I can give you a very nice deal..
The rims on Satnam's vehicle are the standard army rims and are available in Delhi. What vehicle do you want to mount them on???
I can help you to source these.
PM me if you are interested!!!
Old 25th February 2010, 13:00   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

What seats are those? Tavera?
Old 25th February 2010, 18:27   #88
Senior - BHPian

Jassy,
As Harjeev pointed out they are bog standard army. Not sure about prices elsewhere but in Mansa they sell for about RS1200 a rim.

Tejas,
Not sure what cars the seats are from. Picked them up in Patiala from the famous Kala Seata Wala (Sai Market). He gets a container of seats every now and then. These were the most comfortable he had so we opted for these.

Harjeev,
Keep away from Mayapuri the buying bug will get you again and you will end up with another jeep.

Update
Fuel pump should be going to get a proper service in Hissar in the next week or so and seats to be covered again in a black/grey combo.

Last edited by bigman : 25th February 2010 at 18:37.
Old 26th February 2010, 01:06   #89
BHPian

Satnam,
Your MM550 looks very neat , from rear it looks almost brand new. Did you fitted the dashboard pitch and rolling meter on it?
Old 26th February 2010, 18:06   #90
Senior - BHPian

Amar,

Thanks for your comments.

Completely forgot about the roll and pitch meter. Its sat in the loft. My dad went to India yesterday and I forgot to put it in the suitcase.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks