Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2009, 21:56   #46
BHPian

Congrats bigman aka Satnam (I think) !!!

The jeep turned out very nice

What about wipers? you plan on fitting some? from personal experience of driving MM540 in rain without wipers, I can tell that even without them it is not that bad
Old 17th April 2009, 22:01   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

You jeep has come out really well. What size are the BF Goodrich AT tire? How much did they cost?
Old 17th April 2009, 22:14   #48
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the comments 4x4,

The tyres are 235/70/R16 (I think), 4 of them cost 5,500 each and the last one cost a bit more as a particular dealer in Ludhiana was playing silly buggers.

In the end paid 5,800 for the spare from Hisar, the dealer was honest and had them in stock whereas the Ludhiana dealer would tell you he had them in stock but when you would go there he would have nothing.

So RS27,800 for 5 new tyres.

Not as butch as the original army tyres but you can't get them very easily.
Old 18th April 2009, 02:07   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailee_Jatt_Boy View Post

What about wipers? you plan on fitting some? from personal experience of driving MM540 in rain without wipers, I can tell that even without them it is not that bad
Thanks for feedback guys..

Yes wipers etc will be fitted soon along with seatbelts and handbrake. The wiper motor and mechanism had been removed when we got it (maybe by army or disposal/scrap guy). No one bothered checking this till after they had been to Mayapuri to pick up the head (came back with XD3P engine). Could not get one locally but have found a source for them now.

Last edited by bigman : 18th April 2009 at 02:08.
Old 18th April 2009, 09:44   #50
Senior - BHPian

Great Satnam,
Your 550 is looking great!!!
Congrats
And getting everything remotely managed sitting all over there in London is another feat well accomplished...
Old 18th April 2009, 13:42   #51
BHPian

Lovely jeep Satnam. When you do come back, get a nice set of shovel,axe,spade etc to compliment the jeep. Also there is a shop around the military contonement here, where i think i can find you a few brand-new standard issue black-out lights and other small details.
Old 18th April 2009, 14:07   #52
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys,

Brutus

Going to try and get a trip in later this year and wil contact you closer to the time so we can go hunt out a 469. I do have a pair of blackouts which we had to take off. The jeep came with 4 blackouts fitted to the rear, 2 were on the rear bumper and 2 on the rear of the tub. Due to the hatch problems and having to put an old hatch on that is hinged on the opposite side there was little space for the body tub blackouts so they were removed. The bumper ones were retained.

Plus with the addition of the rear fogs (Brutus you will know all about the dense winter fog in Punjab and Haryana, so they were a must) the rear would have had too many lights on.

I think I will forgo the shovel, axe and spade, the dabwali willyx coetrie have finished that look off. Still looks good on a SWB but not so good on the larger 540/550s.

Brutus, do the Indian military use the same combi lights (3 in 1) on the rear ? I have looked at NATO, UK and French army jeeps and they tend to have special rear lights which are extra tough.
Old 18th April 2009, 14:49   #53
BHPian

Imported shovels etc still look way better than those cheap screw on ones used in Dabwalli. Besides, you need them when you offroad.
The 3 in 1 convoy lights used to come in early 1-tons, thought they are still available but expensive(the last time i was charged 2 and a half thousand bucks for a pair). I myself have those 2 in 1 waterproof convoy taillights out of a M38 jeep. There was someone in the U.S. who needed Jonga and Nissan Patrol emblems so i offeered him an exchange for the taillights.
Some yrs ago there was this Kaiser 6x6 truck standing in Mayapuri, an U.N. auctioned water-tanker,Right opposite chaudary motors, and it had these awesome looking NATO standard convoy tail-lights, very much like what the hummer uses. The Kabarddi sensed i'am from Punjab, and he knew we always go after the rather useless stuff, therefore was asking for 20grands just for the taillights. Wonder what was on his mind that time?
In contrast to the American ones, the Russian taillight are always very ugly to look at, but thats offset by some beautiful looking headlights. Out of all the tanks and armoured vehicles i've taken stuff from, none had any good set of taillights. Let the Tatra be an exception, but then it ain't russian, its checkoslovakian(Ex-soviet).
Old 18th April 2009, 17:22   #54
BHPian

Hey guys,

The older Indian Army vehicles used to come with a single pair of blackout lights at the rear, the small Red-dot ones. The Blackout switch on the jeeps, jonga and the other trucks(excluding the Gypsy) is probably the German type, since it originally came in the Shaktimann(man trucks). The Nissan 1-ton had the older American type switch (which i think were the same as used in the WW2 Ford GPW, and not the Willys MB type. Or Is it vise-versa?). Now when you would flip the switch to the warzone mode, it would put out the main headlights and the rear main taillights, and opperate the Red-dot(Bindi) lights everytime you apply the brakes when the of the switch is in the first position. The second position would get the front blackouts working, or maybe its the other way around. Anyways the new vehicles, the Tata and Ashoky trucks and the Gyspy and the Mahindra, besides a few other Indian make vehicles, also have a set of Green-dot lights. Does anybody know what they are for?

I would'nt want to put on more lights in a war-zone, especially any of the VIBGYOR colours. Having a Red one is already dangerous, and unlike the American taillights, where one side, the left one, is Red and used for highway driving and the other side, with the clear lens, is at the right for blackout opperation(which is less easily seen than a red colour therefore better in the warzone). Even the Night-vision sights used either the green,red, or yellow colours for making out objects in the virtual sights, since they are known to be the most easily seen colours to the human eye. The Indian Military is already using Red colour blackouts, which i think is stupid, and whats even worse is that they're using 2 of them. Adding another pair of lights in the Green colour, which being just as small as the Red ones leads to the assumption that they too are some kind of lights to be used in the warzone, and this idea sounds downright ridiculous and absurd.

Anyways, if anybody knows what purpose they serve0, and at switch position do they opperate at, would be extremely helpful and i would appreciate it if somebody does tell me about them.
Thanks,

Bikram.S.Sandhu
Old 18th April 2009, 21:31   #55
Senior - BHPian

I have a question why are all north jeeps from PB 47 is Samrala a HUB
Old 18th April 2009, 21:37   #56
Senior - BHPian

Desideep,

They are all registered in Zira. Best place to get army disposals registered.
Old 18th April 2009, 22:42   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Desideep,

They are all registered in Zira. Best place to get army disposals registered.
Sorry my bad Samrala is 43, how could i for get Zira is 47 its my Dads nanke.

-----------------

Janab another one i would like to ask how much does it hit back to get the thing registered and what address are used? and could you please post what documents are needed

Last edited by desideep : 18th April 2009 at 22:52.
Old 18th April 2009, 23:15   #58
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Jeep Bigman. It looks great. It is truly a great feeliong when the once dead beast is brought back to life. Wishing you and your jeep a great journey forward!

Please out up some interior pix too.
Old 19th April 2009, 00:27   #59

cool man got nice jeep. nice stock rims.
Old 19th April 2009, 11:11   #60
BHPian

congratulations,cool ride you got there.it has come out real good and nice color choice.i really liked the black colored rims,what tyre size you are running?

Most Viewed