Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2009, 20:08   #1
BHPian

2008 GYPSY 413W 4WD - How much to offer??

A local mineral exploration company is closing shop and they have TWO 2008 GYPSY KINGs, both 4WD, for sale. One is a Aug 2008 soft-top model with 4200 km on the odo and the other is a Sep 2008 hard-top model with 5300 km on the odo. Vehicles are all stock with no modifications at all. They have been used quite roughly and there is evidence all over - broken orvm, cigarette burns on the seats, torn carpets, bumper & paint scratches etc. But they drive quite well, I have driven both for about 3 km each, but didn't get a chance to test the 4WD mechanism. I did shift the gear to 4H & 4L while parked and the 4WD light came up in the dash. All paper-work is in order, I have checked them - even the original invoice receipt from the Maruti Dealer. They cost them about 6 lakhs each on road.

Now, my cousin and I are thinking of picking up one for ourselves (and one for a fellow BHPian, if anyone is interested). The company guy I talked to said that, if possible, they would prefer to sell them together in a single deal. He said that he expects to get about 9.5 Lakhs for both vehicles - that is about 4.7 lakhs each. I think there is still room for some bargaining.

So, what do you guys think? I believe the GYPSY is a reliable off-roader, and the new MPFI engine is powerful and not as petrol thirsty as the old one. Are there any common GYPSY problems I should watch out for? Is there a standard process to test the 4WD system? (I am newbie )

And, finally, what do you think is a reasonable offer for a Sep 2008 MG413W 4WD hard-top with 5300 km on the odo?

Waiting for your valuable inputs....

Teja
Old 9th March 2009, 20:33   #2
BHPian

Hi H3LIOS,

I am on my second Gypsy, and if I could afford 4.5 L for a used vehicle, I would beg/ borrow/steal another 1.5 and get behind a brand new wheel man!

A used vehicle makes sense only if you plan to do extensive mods, and in that case I would look for something less expensive.

The people whose advise I would seek are Khan_Sultan and Dwaraka, the uncrowned Gypsy Kings on this forum.

Personally, if I had to buy my third vehicle, it would still be a Gypsy!

Cheers
Old 9th March 2009, 20:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LIOS View Post

- that is about 4.7 lakhs each. I think there is still room for some bargaining.....

So, what do you guys think? ,,,,, Is there a standard process to test the 4WD system?
The low odometer readings are a little suspicious but it's possible of course. One way you might tell is to pull the wheels and look at the brakes. Spend a little money and get a good mechanic to look at the vehicle(s). See if he thinks the odometer is correct. If so I think these are almost new and it is a good price.
Old 9th March 2009, 21:30   #4
Team-BHP Support

Check for any funny sound from the differential, if so keep away another 15 to 20 k, otherwise nothing much to go wrong. Double check if the transfer case is working fine also. Visit to nearest maruti dealer for evaluation is recommended.

If the wear and tear is just cosmetic price sounds aok, 4.5 if you can bargain. Gypsy is hard to come by and according to me this is one of the good deal of the recession, if only I could afford :((
Old 9th March 2009, 22:26   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear-ge View Post
If I could afford 4.5 L for a used vehicle, I would beg/ borrow/steal another 1.5 and get behind a brand new wheel man!
Well, the point is that these are almost new - just 6 months old and just 5K on the odo. Heck, the Trax or Mahindra 4x4 would have 1500 on the odo by the time it they driven to my town from the factory.

Also, most Maruti dealers just flat out deny that the Gypsy is available for sale - "It is only for Police & Military sir, not available for general public". And even if I find one that will book a Gypsy for me, I will have to pay the full-amount in advance and wait 3 months for delivery. In that respect, this chance to pick-up an almost new one is most appealing for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
The low odometer readings are a little suspicious but it's possible of course. One way you might tell is to pull the wheels and look at the brakes. Spend a little money and get a good mechanic to look at the vehicle(s). See if he thinks the odometer is correct. If so I think these are almost new and it is a good price.
The odo was the first thing I suspected, so I checked the tire threads and they were almost brand new. Before I buy, I do plan to have it looked up at a friend's place - he runs an authorized Maruti service center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Check for any funny sound from the differential, if so keep away another 15 to 20 k, otherwise nothing much to go wrong. Double check if the transfer case is working fine also. Visit to nearest maruti dealer for evaluation is recommended.
Thanks, I will get the vehicle inspected before I close the deal. I will be meeting the guy again tomorrow evening and plan to start my bargaining from 4 lakhs. I've prepared a list of broken/spoiled things that I noticed, to support my low-bid. All the damage I noticed is only cosmetic.

Will let you guys know what happens. Keeping my fingers crossed & hoping -
a) that my cousin doesn't have second thoughts in the night and back-out
b) that no-one else swoops away both the vehicles before I meet him tomorrow

Wish me luck.

Cheers.
Old 10th March 2009, 09:12   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... They have been used quite roughly and there is evidence all over - broken orvm, cigarette burns on the seats, torn carpets, bumper & paint scratches etc.
That's not much damage. That's all cosmetic and easily managed. BUT, use this as bargaining chip.

Quote:
But they drive quite well, I have driven both for about 3 km each, but didn't get a chance to test the 4WD mechanism. I did shift the gear to 4H & 4L while parked and the 4WD light came up in the dash.
Best, take them to a MASS you know. get them checked thoroughly -- should take just couple of hundred rupees or so. Also, as Jaggu suggested, check for whine/noise from driveline.

Quote:
... that is about 4.7 lakhs each. I think there is still room for some bargaining. So, what do you guys think?
Try getting the price down. However, ~4.5L for a 5-6K kms done Gypsy -- just 6-7 month old is a good price (If it is in great shape). A REAL bargain.

Quote:
I believe the GYPSY is a reliable off-roader, and the new MPFI engine is powerful and not as petrol thirsty as the old one.
Yes. More than capable in stock form itself. For mileage, expect ~10 in city and ~12 in highway as mileage

Quote:
Are there any common GYPSY problems I should watch out for?
It is RELIABLE, so no niggling issues. Just regular maintenance would do.

Quote:
Is there a standard process to test the 4WD system? (I am newbie )
What you did is correct. Also, do drive around. You will come to know on your own :-)
Old 10th March 2009, 13:03   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Bargain hard; even if the mileage is low, we can safely presume that those miles have been covered at low speed + 4x4 + several drivers (typical mining usage). Translated, its equivalent to any other regular Gypsy with 15,000 - 20,000 kms on the odo.

Unless you get these at 4 lakhs each, I'd find a way to arrange for a brand new Gypsy.
Old 10th March 2009, 13:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A local mineral exploration company is closing shop and they have TWO 2008 GYPSY KINGs, both 4WD, for sale. One is a Aug 2008 soft-top model with 4200 km on the odo and the other is a Sep 2008 hard-top model with 5300 km on the odo. Vehicles are all stock with no modifications at all. They have been used quite roughly and there is evidence all over - broken orvm, cigarette burns on the seats, torn carpets, bumper & paint scratches etc. But they drive quite well, I have driven both for about 3 km each, but didn't get a chance to test the 4WD mechanism. I did shift the gear to 4H & 4L while parked and the 4WD light came up in the dash. All paper-work is in order, I have checked them - even the original invoice receipt from the Maruti Dealer. They cost them about 6 lakhs each on road.

Now, my cousin and I are thinking of picking up one for ourselves (and one for a fellow BHPian, if anyone is interested). The company guy I talked to said that, if possible, they would prefer to sell them together in a single deal. He said that he expects to get about 9.5 Lakhs for both vehicles - that is about 4.7 lakhs each. I think there is still room for some bargaining.

So, what do you guys think? I believe the GYPSY is a reliable off-roader, and the new MPFI engine is powerful and not as petrol thirsty as the old one. Are there any common GYPSY problems I should watch out for? Is there a standard process to test the 4WD system? (I am newbie )

And, finally, what do you think is a reasonable offer for a Sep 2008 MG413W 4WD hard-top with 5300 km on the odo?

Waiting for your valuable inputs....

Teja
Hi teja,
You are really confused man. Happens to any 4x4 lover. By taking a gypsy what will happen to your original requirements?

1. to accomodate 7 people in comfort?
2. place for your dog?
3. comfort for old parents?
4. Your frequency of travel to villages near by?

My take- If you want to buy a gypsy , buy a new one instead!! Assuming that you would be taking loan for your purchase, you will end up paying more EMI than for a new Gypsy as secondhand interest rates are almost double that of new car loan. Plus you will have to do small odd jobs considering that this vehicle was used in mining activity- Not worth it unless you have ready cash to shell out!

regards

vinod
Old 10th March 2009, 15:00   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Hi teja,
You are really confused man. Happens to any 4x4 lover. By taking a gypsy what will happen to your original requirements?

1. to accomodate 7 people in comfort?
2. place for your dog?
3. comfort for old parents?
4. Your frequency of travel to villages near by?

My take- If you want to buy a gypsy , buy a new one instead!! Assuming that you would be taking loan for your purchase, you will end up paying more EMI than for a new Gypsy as secondhand interest rates are almost double that of new car loan. Plus you will have to do small odd jobs considering that this vehicle was used in mining activity- Not worth it unless you have ready cash to shell out!

regards

vinod
Hi Vinod,

No confusion sir, that requirement remains. Since the GAMA purchase attempt didn't work out, we moved onto the Bolero Plus - similar in size, space, price, & specs to the GAMA. However I am now fighting with M&M to give it to me in the Apple Red color as shown on their web site. The dealer says that only the Taxi Grey is available, and we definitely do not want that. Waiting to get the final word from M&M.

The 4WD Gypsy (or a MM540 or CJ340) would be our recreational vehicle. My cousin (who lives next door) and I plan to buy it together. We have been looking for a small 4WD vehicle for some time now, and this seemed like a good opportunity. Only thing is, my cousin has a bias against petrol and he has been flip-flopping all day. He promised to make-up his mind before we meet the seller again today evening, If he is on-board, then we plan to pitch in 50K each and take loan for the rest of the amount. Agreed the interest rates will be about 3 - 4% higher than a new car purchase, but I plan to bargain accordingly.

We will be meeting the seller at 5PM, so will post in a few hours how it went.

Cheers
Teja
Old 10th March 2009, 23:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Whats the update? Did you close the deal?
Old 11th March 2009, 09:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Whats the update? Did you close the deal?
No, not yet. Didn't get to meet the seller yesterday as he had to go away on some urgent business. Spoke to him on the phone and offered 4L for the hard-top. He didn't seem too taken-aback by it, but he did mention that he is having a couple of other interested parties looking at the vehicle today. I am guessing that he will give it to me for around 4L if he doesn't get a better offer in the next two days.

And he said that the best offer he had for the soft-top was 3.75L. Visakhapatnam is not the right place to sell these vehicles. If the used car dealers got wind of this, they would probably pick them up in a ziffy and make an easy profit re-selling them in Hyderabad or Chennai.
Old 11th March 2009, 14:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Like suggested by many, bargain hard & try to get it within 4L, else get yourself a new Gypsy. Mileage also seems suspect.
Old 12th March 2009, 17:17   #13
BHPian

Final Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Like suggested by many, bargain hard & try to get it within 4L, else get yourself a new Gypsy. Mileage also seems suspect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Bargain hard.... Unless you get these at 4 lakhs each, I'd find a way to arrange for a brand new Gypsy.
I had two sessions bargaining with the seller and test drove the vehicles again. Despite the practicality of the hard-top, I liked the soft-top better..... when buying a Gypsy itself is considered not a very rational decision, then I figured why not go all the way

The soft-top had only 3300 km on the odo and was almost brand-new. Took a Maruti Tech with me to check the vehicle. He opened the hood, it looked very clean inside - the jack was still in a sealed cover. Engine sound was quite smooth & mellow. Overall everything was declared A-OK.

We struck a deal at 3.7 lakhs. I was quite pleased with that and planned to complete the transaction today. At the last minute the bank played spoil-sport. First they were reluctant to finance a 'used' car, then they added a 4% extra on the interest rate, but when I told them that the vehicle was a "Gypsy" everything stopped. They gave some story that they cannot find 'Gypsy' in their system. Anyway the whole deal is off now.

If anyone is interested in these vehicles, then drop me a PM and I will send you the seller's name and contact number. He said he will take them to Hyderabad if they do not get sold here in Visakhapatnam.

- Teja
Old 12th March 2009, 18:20   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Unless you get these at 4 lakhs each
Quote:
We struck a deal at 3.7 lakhs.

Quote:
when I told them that the vehicle was a "Gypsy" everything stopped. They gave some story that they cannot find 'Gypsy' in their system. Anyway the whole deal is off now.
Just when I was about to congratulate you! Can't even begin to think about how disappointed you will be. Lets try to work this out:

1. How about taking a personal loan?

2. I hope you are aware that you could take a loan against any savings / fixed deposits?

Rare deal. I suggest you do whatever needs to be done to wrap it up.
Old 12th March 2009, 19:24   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Just when I was about to congratulate you! Can't even begin to think about how disappointed you will be.
Yes, I am feeling a bit low - but on the flip side my wife is being pretty cheerful since the deal broke-down. I guess thats how it works.

Quote:
Lets try to work this out:

1. How about taking a personal loan?
2. I hope you are aware that you could take a loan against any savings / fixed deposits?

Rare deal. I suggest you do whatever needs to be done to wrap it up.
Not an option. And seller wasn't willing to wait. He is in a hurry, that is the reason for the steep discount.

I asked the seller if he would like me to post his Ad on TeamBHP & Jeep Thrills. He hasn't heard of those, but said to go ahead if it is going to help him sell his vehicles. So here is the info (Mods, please remove if not appropriate.)

Seller's Name: Mr. Prasad Reddy
Ad placed in "Eenadu" (Telugu Daily Newspaper) on Sunday, Mar 8th.
Contact Numbers: 098491-49683 & 093904-02971
Vehicles are in Visakhapatnam, but sorry I didn't take any pictures. Both are white. Hard-top is Sep 2008 made and has around 5200km on the odo & the soft-top is Aug 2008 made and has done around 3300km.

Please contact the seller directly with your enquiries. Feel free to PM me if you need any help.

Cheers
Teja
Attached Thumbnails
2008 GYPSY 413W 4WD - How much to offer??-gypsys.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 12th March 2009 at 19:35. Reason: Removing information that would be considered too personal. You will appreciate

Most Viewed