Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2009, 13:43   #1

Into Jeep Territory - 2001 340D !!

Hi all,
We have bought a jeep recently for 1.85L.It is a 2001 340D with more than 1Lkm on odo(100007 KMs).
The body is average and engine sounds good with acceptable emission. Now I would like to know a few things from experts.

1. The vehicle has 2 rounds of steering play. I want to remove it completely. I have consulted a local mechanic here.
He is saying that jeeps come with a Play which I rejected at the first hearing. As per his words , they never remove the play completely. But I want it off completely.

Please suggest me on how to do this. What are the parts to be removed and how much will it cost.
2.How much such an engine can run without overhauling as I an not sure about the engine history.
3. What about the price for this. Is it in accord with the market value?

I will post the pictures soon ..
Old 10th March 2009, 13:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbmuneer View Post
Hi all,
We have bought a jeep recently for 1.85L.It is a 2001 340D with more than 1Lkm on odo(100007 KMs).
The body is average and engine sounds good with acceptable emission. Now I would like to know a few things from experts.

1. The vehicle has 2 rounds of steering play. I want to remove it completely. I have consulted a local mechanic here.
He is saying that jeeps come with a Play which I rejected at the first hearing. As per his words , they never remove the play completely. But I want it off completely.

Please suggest me on how to do this. What are the parts to be removed and how much will it cost.
2.How much such an engine can run without overhauling as I an not sure about the engine history.

I will post the pictures soon ..
Welcome to the jeep territory! If it is a 2001 model 340 then it must be a Mahindra Classic.Now on your questions-

1. Two rounds of stering play is a bit too much. Check the steering box or get the complete steering O/H done

2. Generally a well maintained 2.1 litre engine runs about 1.2 to 1.5 lakh kms. There are few exceptions always. dont touch your engine if it is fine.

3. If it is a Mahindra Classic then the price is a steal! Can comment further on seeing some pics of the vehicle.

regards

vinod
Old 10th March 2009, 14:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Vinod.

If you are concerned get all fluids / oils changed and check the condition of any belts. No point doing any other work on the engine if it is working fine.
Old 10th March 2009, 14:30   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I thought Mahindra Classic was stopped in 2000, I am really surprised to see a 2001 CL340.

Quote:
Your mechanic is right, the play can't be removed. It keeps coming back.

Quote:
Wait until it starts giving subtle hints.

Quote:
The market value is anything you are willing to pay.

Last edited by Samurai : 10th March 2009 at 14:33.
Old 10th March 2009, 14:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Great, welcome to the Jeep club. This is the fastest growing cult on this forum and a lot of enthusiasts are now acquiring and restoring jeeps.
Old 10th March 2009, 15:16   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The market value is anything you are willing to pay.
So true...

Before leaving for the US, I had to sell my 1974 Jawa motorcyle (didn't want it to rust in my absence). But I was hardly getting offers for Rs 3000 for that classic bike. I was so disappointed. I had literally rescued that bike from being sent to the scrap heap and spent around 12K restoring it - this was back in 1995, and that was quite a sum back then, especially considering my tiny salary.

Anyway, one day this gentleman arrives to see the bike. He heard about it from a friend of a friend who has his Yezdi serviced at the same mechanic that I take my Jawa to. As soon as he saw the bike, there was this unmistakable gleam in his eye and I knew right then itself that the bike was sold. He offered 8K, I said 10 and we agreed on 9. I was happy that the bike got a nice new home (in addition to getting a decent chunk of my investment back) and he was thrilled to get a fully restored Jawa for under 10K. If his family is anything like mine, I am sure he got ribbed for paying so much for a 'junk' bike. But as you said, "true value is what you are willing to pay".

Cheers.
Old 10th March 2009, 19:24   #7

what all need to be removed...

No . It is not a Classic.I might be wrong in naming the version of the jeep.It is
modified to look like a major< But with pathetic steering.

Now some one please suggest how can I and where can I get the steering O/H done in Trivandrum and what will be the approx cost for doing that.

Need to replace the steering with that of major.How much will it cost....??

This is for the time being.Planning to do some off roading modifications after a few months because of budget constrains.
Old 10th March 2009, 21:40   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No . It is not a Classic.I might be wrong in naming the version of the jeep. It is modified to look like a major< But with pathetic steering.
Wait, all CL340s after late 1996 were Classic. That means your Jeep is not CL340, it could be CL500. Just check what the RC book or the plaque behind the steering wheel says.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks