Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2010, 20:56   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 loaded View Post
There was an almost 75-80 degree incline.
75-80 deg incline? Are you sure?
Old 27th March 2010, 21:02   #137
Team-BHP Support

Great looking jeep. Hope to meet you and see the jeep in flesh when I go back to Kolkata in July. Happy jeepin...
Old 28th March 2010, 17:58   #138
BANNED

4x4 loaded

Your jeep has come out well.BTW dont you think white will be difficult to maintain?

get new shoes for your jeep soon it will enhance the looks
Old 29th March 2010, 00:22   #139
Team-BHP Support

Congratz Saikat. Outcome overshadows the delay! Very well executed.
Old 2nd April 2010, 04:21   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
75-80 deg incline? Are you sure?
Exaggeration? Well I wont get down from 70 degrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Great looking jeep. Hope to meet you and see the jeep in flesh when I go back to Kolkata in July. Happy jeepin...
Thanks. Sure, hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
4x4 loaded

Your jeep has come out well.BTW dont you think white will be difficult to maintain?

get new shoes for your jeep soon it will enhance the looks
Yes we knew white would be a bit difficult to maintain. Just couldn't resist painting the rims in white and consequently the body as well. Both me and my friend were clung to the looks of Fazal Ali's old white MM..I should admit that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Congratz Saikat. Outcome overshadows the delay! Very well executed.
Thanks a lot Jaggu.

Problems need to be taken care:

The seat work was complete last weekend. I had driven it for more than 100kms till now after picking it up from the bodyshop two weeks back. We were expecting problems to crop up by this time mainly due to a long idle period. Moreover mechanicals were supposed to be checked and done up properly at Uday Sir's workshop after the first recce at Sodepur last year. Before that it was just made into running condition for test purpose. Last sunday drove back to Udays Sir's place and kept it there and explained him the issues. Here are the issues that we were facing within this period:

1. The alternator was not charging the battery.As a result the battery also lost its power.Once I had some hard time in starting in a crowded road where it was impossible to push and then start by putting into gear. Got hold of a roadside mechanic who first jump started the engine with another battery and then did some minor repair of the alternator. After that the battery meter was showing around 12v once again.

2. The noise that was coming out of the rear right side wheel has reduced but has to be taken care of. UBS told that its coming from the break shoe rubbing the wheel.

3. The water pump was leaking out water very fast. It leaked more when engine was off. I had to continuously pour water into the radiator.The jeep was driving fine to Uday Sir's place which is almost 40-45 kms from my our place. I was continuously monitoring the temperature. Midway stopped once to cool off the engine and then filled the radiator with the engine on so that water loss is minimal. Once again headed on. Within a minute or two there was a loud continuous noise from below the bonnet and for almost 4-5 secs. I was sure the fan belt must have given up. Popped up the bonnet and I was right.It was a new expressway along the eastern fringe of Calcutta and there was no help untill we got out of the experssway. We inquired a few truck drivers but to no avail. I noticed there was strong wind coming from the opposit direction we will be going to. Started the engine and quickly engaged the 4th gear and drove as slowly as it could take. We reached near the Airport after driving for 6-7 kms and luckily got a garage which had a few Boleros. I knew I was lucky for the time being. They did not have the fan-belt but arranged for a Jugaad. When they tried to fit that in they noticed the water pump is stuck and its not rotating...OK so that means it stopped rotating resulting the fan belt to snap.The head mechanic said the parts shop nearby would be closed as it was a Sunday afternoon. Called up Uday Sir and he readily agreed to bring a waterpump upto Dakhineswar Temple and we will pick it up from there. Then another mechanic informed there is another shop closeby which might be open then. Luck was better this time.Got the exact waterpump but not a proper fanbelt. Finally ended up with one for the time being. By that time it was all dark. Also noticed that the water pump has 5 holes for the nuts to be fixed but mine one had only three nuts out of which the third one was actually a misfit. Will put in the proper nuts now.After this the drive was smooth. I did not have to check the temperature again and again like a maniac. It was below 80 throughout.

4. One of the nozzles (on the head of the engine) is sprinkling a lot of diesel specially when more race is applied. Will take care of that.

5. The steering needs to be checked properly. It gave a little play at higher speed. It also needs to be oiled/greased as it makes noise whenever rotated evn a bit.Minor issue though.

6. The Speedometer cable is not there so I could never monitor the total distance travelled or the speed. Will get it fixed.

7. Will need to fix a back gear switch.

Once these works are done I will take it to the bodyshop once again as the rear gate lock needs to be properly done up. It kept opening whenevr I took an incline in the recce due to the heavy rim. Will also go for the soft top and will also put floor mat...and that will be all as of now. The jeep has been performing superbly till now other that these few issues. Though we expected a lot more issues to crop up within this period just because the jeep did not run for quite a few months. Will get new tyres once all these are done. Will keep posted.

Regards...Saikat
Old 2nd April 2010, 09:14   #141
Senior - BHPian

Thats nice to know you are getting into the 'jeep' experience. A jeep needs a considerable time to get settled after a rebuild and more so like your case where there has been a good time gap in between. The more you drive it the more you get to know about the niggles and sort out the same. Though getting stuck like that is a pure bad luck but not something uncommon i would say I am not sure whether you have already done it or not, but get your alternator serviced properly for once. For safety purpose you may carry some basic spares like fan belt with you. And kindly get the greasing thing done on a regular interval, a small job but helps a lot in smoothening the performance.
By the way how does it feel to drive the jeep through the busy traffic in Kolkata? I think jeep is the perfect vehicle to drive in the city during the rainy season when waterlogging is a frequent phenomenon.
-regards,
Soumen
Old 3rd April 2010, 21:55   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Thats nice to know you are getting into the 'jeep' experience. A jeep needs a considerable time to get settled after a rebuild and more so like your case where there has been a good time gap in between. The more you drive it the more you get to know about the niggles and sort out the same. Though getting stuck like that is a pure bad luck but not something uncommon i would say I am not sure whether you have already done it or not, but get your alternator serviced properly for once. For safety purpose you may carry some basic spares like fan belt with you. And kindly get the greasing thing done on a regular interval, a small job but helps a lot in smoothening the performance.
By the way how does it feel to drive the jeep through the busy traffic in Kolkata? I think jeep is the perfect vehicle to drive in the city during the rainy season when waterlogging is a frequent phenomenon.
-regards,
Soumen
Thats exactly what I thought Soumen. Infact I am liking getting stuck like that as I know everytime I am learning something new. The alternator was serviced when the mechanicals were done. So i believe the problem arised mainly coz the jeep is running after a long time. Now its working absolutely fine. I was looking out for a proper fan belt before I set for the drive but my local spare shops did not have the proper size. Surely will keep an extra for spare. Other than this what else can I carry as spare? Suggest me please.
Driving in busy traffic is never fun. I thought driving a jeep in the congested traffic will be a pain. Trust me, my conception did change entirely after I drove our jeep. Handling never felt tough.People in cars and other vehicles continuously keeps gazing. Some people would enquire about the price and avilability of the kind of mine.Nobody ever tried to aggressively overtake me in bumper to bumper traffic. Thats the respect I believe every jeeper gets.

Regards ...Saikat
Old 3rd April 2010, 23:31   #143
Senior - BHPian

Hey Saikat, congratulations on your new jeep. Lovely colour as well.

From the pics it appears you went on a Jeep thrills OTR, probably to the brick factory in Barasat. I can see UBS' regular rides, plus Ghanshyam jee's Green jeep. How about posting full report of the OTR?
Old 4th April 2010, 09:52   #144
Senior - BHPian

Yeah i guessed so, nobody dares to mess with a jeep on road. And i am sure it will be more useful in the coming rainy season
As per spares,may be you can find out an authorised Mahindra dealer and get basic spares like spare fuses, hose pipes, belts, bulbs not to mention an appropriate jack and spanner and tow rope. Also a basic tool kit is always handy to keep.
-regards,
Old 8th April 2010, 03:25   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Hey Saikat, congratulations on your new jeep. Lovely colour as well.

From the pics it appears you went on a Jeep thrills OTR, probably to the brick factory in Barasat. I can see UBS' regular rides, plus Ghanshyam jee's Green jeep. How about posting full report of the OTR?
Yes you are correct, it was the biggest 4x4 event I have seen here under the banner: Jeep thrills. It was held near Dankuni. I do intend to start a thread about the same but dont have much pics. Will collate them from other participants who are mostly know to Adhiraj and Uday sir. Will surely upload them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Yeah i guessed so, nobody dares to mess with a jeep on road. And i am sure it will be more useful in the coming rainy season
As per spares,may be you can find out an authorised Mahindra dealer and get basic spares like spare fuses, hose pipes, belts, bulbs not to mention an appropriate jack and spanner and tow rope. Also a basic tool kit is always handy to keep.
-regards,
Thanks for the advice Soumen. Am waiting for the rainy season

Regards...Saikat
Old 28th February 2017, 22:12   #146
BHPian

Re: One more MM 550 XD !!

Good to see so may jeeps nowadays. It's been 7 years now and time to get a new heart and body work for our MM550. Will post the updates soon.
Meanwhile we were in a few offroading events in these years however onroad commute has been the main usage in our case. In the highways it has always performed really well!
Old 18th September 2017, 15:20   #147
BHPian

Experts please throw some light on sourcing original radiator or doing some alterations with Bolero/Thar radiator for my 2000 model MM550.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks