Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2009, 23:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Why not a petrol Jeep?

Have you considered a petrol Jeep - an original?

The recent 4X4 event in Hyderabad had a few petrol jeeps running and, to my untrained eye, they seemed to be the best bet for off roading. A petrol Jeep will satisfy both your wishes - to own a classic and to have the happy nature of petrol engines.

Check these pics out.

This one is definitely still running on petrol

This Jeep, or another one in a deep forest green colour was running a petrol engine.

Besides the 2 above, there were a few more that were running on Petrol.

One vehicle that was really impressive is the Judo.

besides of course the Touareg!

All the pictures are from the thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...-29-march.html
Old 17th April 2009, 02:30   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Anything available still ? Looking out for one for a friend, here in BLR.

Well funny as it may seem I sold mine a few months back and moved to US; But yes a good number of Gypsys are available in Bangalore and in vicinity.
Old 17th April 2009, 08:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
i was in this classic situation long time back- head said Gypsy, heart said Jeep, head +heart said MM540- went for it
  • Love spending time in garages= old jeep!
  • No time, only week end drive= Gypsy!
  • Grunt= jeep
  • Refinement=Gypsy
  • Only vehicle @home=Gypsy
  • Second vehicle= Jeep
Regards
Vinod
Vinod: I think the last two points need to be interchanged. A MM540 is more practical than my gypsy!!
Old 17th April 2009, 08:29   #19
Team-BHP Support

Doesn't Gypsy have severe spare parts problem? And so does Petrol Jeep.
Old 17th April 2009, 09:03   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
With a Gypsy you will be able to drive over to a Service Center and get repairs or modifications done.

With out of production Mahindra's you will struggle to get a right garage. But then they are so simple to work on that you really can do with most of the garages.
Not exactly !! It again depends on where your intend to drive/repair your JEEP. Come down to Kerala you will find a Jeep workshop in every nook and corner of the state but the same is not true in Bangalore and many other cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Army disposal MM550's are easy enough to buy but getting them restored is a complete pain in the behind. From my MM550 rebuild nothing is ever done to a deadline and simple engine rebuilds take weeks. XD3P spares are readily available but other parts can take weeks to acquire. Took 6 weeks to get a new screen and still waiting for other bits and pieces.
Why go for army disposal Jeeps only ?? Why not search in a place where Jeeps are more abundant and are readily available for sale. I have seen lot of Bhpian's buy army disposal Jeeps for around 60-70K in non working condition and later spend the same amount of money restoring it, when Jeeps still available in certain places in GOOD condition for the same 60-70K amount.

Last edited by jango : 17th April 2009 at 09:09.
Old 17th April 2009, 09:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Dear Gypsy owners,
Could you please throw some light on this?
I've heard the same kind of things, as Samurai has mentioned in his post.
Is this really true even for spares of MG413 (King)?
@Khan/Vaibhav/Shyam/Headers.... could you share your experience?
Thank you very much.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 17th April 2009, 09:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The gypsy is slightly better than the petrol jeep in availability of spares!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
Why not search in a place where Jeeps are more abundant and are readily available for sale.
Where are they more abundant and readily available for sale?
Old 17th April 2009, 09:22   #23
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Dear Gypsy owners,
Could you please throw some light on this?
I've heard the same kind of things, as Samurai has mentioned in his post.
Deepak
Gypsy spare parts no issue, need to wait for 5-7 days if parts are ordered. Maruti Suzuki ERP system is excellent, spare parts directly comes from manufacturing unit to authorized dealer or if the spare parts is avaliable in nearby cities authorized centre system informs the dealer where the parts are avaliable so it can procure easily through order.
Swastikviji can tell more about it he has rebuild his Gypsy.
Old 17th April 2009, 09:30   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Where are they more abundant and readily available for sale?
Kerala is one state. Not sure if it works out for folks from N.India.
Old 17th April 2009, 10:16   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Gypsy spare parts no issue, need to wait for 5-7 days if parts are ordered. Maruti Suzuki ERP system is excellent, spare parts directly comes from manufacturing unit to authorized dealer or if the spare parts is avaliable in nearby cities authorized centre system informs the dealer where the parts are avaliable so it can procure easily through order.
I second that Sha.
I get my Gypsy serviced at the MASS in Shimla and almost all parts are available off the shelf. The ones that are not usually turn up in three four days.
But some parts which are specific to the 1000cc and carburetor 1300cc can be slightly difficult to source.

Prospective Gypsy buyers should also be aware of the fact that some body panels are frighteningly expensive.
For example, If you damage your hood (bonnet), be prepared to shell out a cool 16000 Rupees for a replacement.
However, mechanical spares are very very affordable and the general quality of parts is better than M&M.

Last edited by gotzuk : 17th April 2009 at 10:20.
Old 17th April 2009, 10:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Pram first off to do justice to your Avatar I think you should lean towards the MM/CJ option

When I was thinking of buying a 4x4. This is the exact dilemma I was looking at, even though i was leaning towards a MM540/550 due to the stance of the Army line of 550s. Also since I have a Petrol car, I am looking at the 540 option for weekday drive to office and for OTRs.

However as mentioned on this thread already. just to recap.

MM = Slightly More kmpl + Diesel = less daily running cost
MM = More Torque
MM slightly stronger on extreme bad off road terrain.
Gypsy, much stronger on highways and rally style off road environment.

Khan saab, Headers and other Gypsy Offroaders dont beat me up here. Please be gentle.

Maintenance wise. Parts for Gypsy are not hard to procure. Well neither would be parts for the MM be difficult to find, if you know where to look.

Basically - both have their pros and cons. and its up to your needs that you need to decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Go for a diesel, petrol engines are for Maruti 800s.
Well not exactly, but nice come back and goes with the flow.

Quote:
Why go for army disposal Jeeps only ?? Why not search in a place where Jeeps are more abundant and are readily available for sale. I have seen lot of Bhpian's buy army disposal Jeeps for around 60-70K in non working condition and later spend the same amount of money restoring it, when Jeeps still available in certain places in GOOD condition for the same 60-70K amount.
Pram I could not agree more with Jango. I am not sure if you are looking at ExArmy 550s however you dont have to look only at Army disposals. Keep the Civilian 540 option open. If you are lucky you will find a civilian 550.

I have learnt this from the various threads by Harjeev/Tarkesh/BigMan etc. Have spoken to many of them and the effort/time/moolah going to get these babies ready is not funny. All the Army Disposal threads are awesome to read, however these guys have amazing patience to get these brutes road and offroad worthy.

550 does have slight more grunt however the 540 4x4 will not keep you wanting for more power on OTRs. 540 owners back me on this?

Quote:
Kerala is one state. Not sure if it works out for folks from N.India.
Cheta, I am from South India and you will be contacted shortly.

All the best Pram. Choose Wisely.

Last edited by IronWolf : 17th April 2009 at 10:22. Reason: Removed an excess smilie
Old 17th April 2009, 10:57   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Cheta, I am from South India and you will be contacted shortly.
All the best Pram. Choose Wisely.
Anytime Ironwolf, would be more than happy to help you out.
Old 17th April 2009, 11:06   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Not exactly !! It again depends on where your intend to drive/repair your JEEP.
And that is a BIG question isnt it? Other then Kerala where do you think we will get good garages for Mahindra(out of production line). Whereas with Maruti you are never far from a Service Centre or helpline.

Also i think Parm is from up North.
Old 17th April 2009, 11:44   #29
BHPian

Hi Parm,

You have brought out a Classic(not the jeep) dilemma for some of us newbies, new into the whole off-roading thing.

I think Vinod has brought out the points very candidly. I thought the Jeep bug bit me about 10 months back. Very late did I realize that it was not the jeep bug, but the off-roading bug.
I also think that the off-roading gang here are not only about off-roading and adventuring but they are also big gearheads. If you think you like to spend your time plonking your head inside the engine bay, getting under the vehicle, getting your hands dirty and greased, or spend lots of time in garage; Jeep should be the one to go for (either Old CJs or MM 550/540).

On the other hand if it is just going to be off-roading and one need not bother too much about vehicle serviceability, Gypsy is the one to go for.

In the last 10 months of trying to locate a capable off-roader, My heart and head switched sides so many times, I have lost count.

I was able to zero in on 2 vehicles a 1962 Willys and a 2003 mm540. Both in pristine driveable condition, but alas, by this time, I attended an OTR and the gypsy took my breath away. All thanks to Mukund's and Shahnavaz's rides.

I think one should spend as much time as possible with both these vehicles, courtesy friends, relatives who already have these vehicles. Once you know them well, Know what they are capable of, individual pros and cons, You'll take a better decision.

And like me, if you get to see Jeeps in good condition, then the dilemma continues. Attaching the pics of the 540 I have identified.
PS: I am buying both the Willys and the 540: if I like them, I'll keep one, otherwise the search for a 2nd hand Gypsy King, will continue
Attached Thumbnails
My Heart says JEEP, Mind says GYPSY!-dscn3249.jpg  

My Heart says JEEP, Mind says GYPSY!-dscn3254.jpg  

My Heart says JEEP, Mind says GYPSY!-dscn3258.jpg  

My Heart says JEEP, Mind says GYPSY!-dscn3259.jpg  

My Heart says JEEP, Mind says GYPSY!-dscn3260.jpg  

My Heart says JEEP, Mind says GYPSY!-dscn3262.jpg  

My Heart says JEEP, Mind says GYPSY!-dscn3273.jpg  

My Heart says JEEP, Mind says GYPSY!-dscn3277.jpg  

My Heart says JEEP, Mind says GYPSY!-dscn3278.jpg  

Old 17th April 2009, 11:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Well, luckily I never went through this confusion. My mind and heart both said Jeep.

After spending few months with my Jeep, here are my observatins:

* Fuel cost is very low.
* For my CL 340 spare parts is no problem and are cheep.
* Repair cost is very cheap. (Rear bumper along with chasis angle got Bend in last offroad. Its denting and painting took Rs 300/-)
* Very capable off roader. Don't have to think twice for any terrain so far. Scratches no problem (actually they are not showing up on the body). Under body strong.
* Modification is easy and there are many options.
* Its raw and tough. This is 100% different from a sedan/car. Few might not like it but I like.
* Kids, family and neighbours also like it for its a Jeep. 11 adults and 4 kids on my jeep on holi.
* Don't like to run it above 60kmph.
* Don't find it good for long drives.
* No AC, so no good for driving in days heat.
* Not good with small kids.
* Not good and comfortable in trafic ( both driving and pollution)

Most Viewed