Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2009, 12:00   #31
Sha
BHPian

Gypsy Spare Parts Catalog

All Gypsy owners should buy Spare parts catalog it cost only 220 Rs. using this book parts can be ordered in any Authorized centre, all MASS will not have this book its better to buy it ourselves.
Attaching few pages of catalog.
IMG.pdf
Old 17th April 2009, 12:28   #32

@ Parm - Having owned a Gypsy for about a year can testify that its both fun and tough. Also maintenence is quite cheap and as long as you're getting the MPFi it even gets pretty good mileage (Getting 10 most of the time)
Fix an A/c and its even good on highways or as a daily driver, so I think you should go with the mind man!!
Regarding spares - as everyone says you may wait for a while in south India but I think that situation in Delhi is much better, Like Gotzuk you will not have any problems.
Old 17th April 2009, 13:50   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Vinod: I think the last two points need to be interchanged. A MM540 is more practical than my gypsy!!
hey headers,
I meant, if you have only vehicle at home, Gypsy being more reliable is a more sensible option. Also it is easier to drive in city. So, it can double up as a city car and an off road machine when required. Controls are lighter and more car like.

Jeep can also be used as a daily commuter, but will be tough. Original petrol jeep is a breeze, but fuel costs and maintenance costs are higher. Your wife will not be able to drive a diesel jeep with ease. Further except for MM540's a/c fitment would be a difficuilt option on other models. Hence suggested jeep as a second vehicle. Considering the commercial roots of jeep useage, they often tend to be very unreliable by the time they land with enthusiasts like us. Hence more time in workshops.
Old 17th April 2009, 13:57   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
...if you really want to do some very tuff off roading and need a lot of articulation that MM5x0 is the best bet...
Sorry to burst the bubble, but we don't do ANY kind of tough off-roading in India. We ALL are doing LKG stuff and we call it whatever we want. That's the reality and in serious off-roading the stock Gypsy or MM's don't even stand a chance -- whichever they may be.

Quote:
if you are the one who like speed drives on off roads like rally drivers than Gypsy is the best one.
Yes. If that's what one wants (jungle trail driving) then Gypsy would serve the purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
....But factory support Gypsy wins.
A slight catch here. Support ONLY from parts point of view. Sourcing parts for MPFI gypsy is NOT at all an issue. The issue is that NOT many MASS folks know the in/out of the Gypsy. That's where the real issue is.

When you do any amount of off-roading/rally style driving, your gypsy will have some or other issues sooner than later. Then the (in)ability of MASS folks to 'understand' what the issue is becomes the issue. Most of them have NOT even done ANY work on a Gypsy ever.

Having said that, in each reasonably big city one can find 1-2 good MASS that would know the Gypsy. The trick is in finding these 1-2 MASS's

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
...If you want an easy life then opt for a working Gypsy. If you like rebuilds and sitting at workshops to oversee things then get a Jeep.
Yes. VERY True. with a Gypsy you can have a sort of 'hands-off' approach. Just put the key in and drive to off-road. With jeep you can't do it. You NEED to get into a 'relationship' with a jeep. And like any relationship it will have it's moments of happiness, sorrow, highs lows etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Have you considered a petrol Jeep - an original?
If you can afford the mileage & even more difficult to source parts etc, then NOTHING like it. BEATS the Gypsy & Diesel MM hands down -- ANYDAY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Doesn't Gypsy have severe spare parts problem? And so does Petrol Jeep.
NO. There is NO parts problem with the mpfi Gypsy. EVERYTHING is available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Gypsy, much stronger on highways and rally style off road environment.
He he. jungle trails. that's what a Gypsy excels in.

Quote:
....the effort/time/moolah going to get these babies ready is not funny.

All the Army Disposal threads are awesome to read, however these guys have amazing patience to get these brutes road and offroad worthy.
Yes sir. Spot on. All this makes good reading material but it is VERY VERY painful to spend your weekends in a garage. It causes mayhem with family life & ALL other work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amreshmahapatra View Post
... If you think you like to spend your time plonking your head inside the engine bay, getting under the vehicle, getting your hands dirty and greased, or spend lots of time in garage; Jeep should be the one to go for (either Old CJs or MM 550/540).
100% true. Buy a jeep ONLY if you are this kind of a person or READY to become this kind of a person. There is NO other way to live with a jeep

Quote:
On the other hand if it is just going to be off-roading and one need not bother too much about vehicle serviceability, Gypsy is the one to go for.
Yes. As I said, with a Gypsy one could have a 'hands off' approach

At the end of the day, buy anyone of these. Doesn't really matter for the kind of off-roading we all do here in India. I have YET to see a terrain where the MM went and a Gypsy couldn't and vice-versa.

Cheers,

Last edited by khan_sultan : 17th April 2009 at 13:59.
Old 17th April 2009, 14:16   #35
Senior - BHPian

in the 3 pages of discussions and advices, i have noticed the following:

MG413 - got points for being practical and trouble free vehicle!

MM JEEP - got favours from the T-Bhpian hearts who LOVE the JEEP!

i understand the practicality of the gypsy, i dont mind the fuel consumption of the Gypsy as it will be used over the weekends and not for daily commute!

as some one said, the hearts weakens when i see a well restored MM JEEP in the forum!

Gypsy on the other hand is SEXY. posting a photo to prove that!

A BIG THANKS TO ALL THE MEMBERS FOR THEIR GENUINE INPUTS USING THEIR HEADS AND HEART!
Attached Thumbnails
My Heart says JEEP, Mind says GYPSY!-3125312aa01.jpg  

Last edited by Parm : 17th April 2009 at 14:23.
Old 17th April 2009, 14:30   #36
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
At the end of the day, buy anyone of these. Doesn't really matter for the kind of off-roading we all do here in India. I have YET to see a terrain where the MM went and a Gypsy couldn't and vice-versa.
Perfectly said Khan.
Old 17th April 2009, 14:42   #37
Senior - BHPian

My mind is fine with Gypsy, and now its a matter of time before i convince my heart and make it understand the points in favour of Gypsy!

i will be going to Maruti true value to find and evaluate 2nd hand Gypsies MG413 MPFI and see at what price the soft tops are available.
Old 17th April 2009, 16:29   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I have YET to see a terrain where the MM went and a Gypsy couldn't and vice-versa.
KS Sir, Welcome to this side of the Country. We are the ones who CREATE the controversies!!

You will realise its the driver and NOT the machine..
Old 17th April 2009, 16:56   #39

My first post here:

Whilst I have never used an MM540, I have used a Mahindra International (the one with the three forward gears) to haul 1.5 tonnes of coffee effortlessly up steep hillsides all day long.

In my current avatar as a wildlife photographer, I use an MG410W purchased second-hand in 2000. I have never had a problem with this vehicle. Having said that I second Khan Sultan's point that you cannot give the vehicle to any mechanic, and ideally you should not let a Maruti service centre get their hands on the vehicle.

Certain major spares, such as a carb, may be a problem, but can be procured from Coimbatore by courier. I have had to do this only once in all these years.

The Gypsy is my only vehicle, maintenance is low, mileage is acceptable, and I have used it on my daily commute when working full-time.

I have seen stripped down Gypsy's (no top, no doors, no rear gate) being used in the harshest terrain in Madhya Pradesh and have seen them honourably acquit themselves. NVH levels are, of course, better than a jeep.

I only envy the treads on jeep tyres. The MRF ZGP on my Gypsy cannot handle wet clay, the treads clog and the wheels spin.

Cheers,

Apana
Old 17th April 2009, 18:19   #40
BHPian

Why don't you add the Gaz 469 to the list. There are a few available very now and then at auctions. They have a divorced xfer-case so you can use any motor with it. $ doors, 2 fuel tanks, considered one of the best off-roader in the world, and whats more ,its from the Red Army.
There would soon be a nice example being restored by someone at Jeepthrills. i would'nt say who, but keep a watch out.
Old 17th April 2009, 21:45   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apana View Post

In my current avatar as a wildlife photographer, I use an MG410W purchased second-hand in 2000. I have never had a problem with this vehicle. Having said that I second Khan Sultan's point that you cannot give the vehicle to any mechanic, and ideally you should not let a Maruti service centre get their hands on the vehicle.

Certain major spares, such as a carb, may be a problem, but can be procured from Coimbatore by courier. I have had to do this only once in all these years.

The Gypsy is my only vehicle, maintenance is low, mileage is acceptable, and I have used it on my daily commute when working full-time.
I too agree with Khan Sultan's and Apna's points>>

Gypsy is a very capable off roader, it goes every where a MM does and as said by Khan we do not do extreme off roading in India as yet.

As done by Khan if you add all the off road goodies like front rear diff-loks, SPOA, winches etc the GYPSY takes on all terrain.

Another aspect about the GYPSY is that its higly customozable as a platform just like the MM's.

In my opinion the bottom line very vehicle has its own character, you need to see which one matches yours.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th April 2009 at 09:39.
Old 18th April 2009, 21:18   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
My mind is fine with Gypsy, and now its a matter of time before i convince my heart and make it understand the points in favour of Gypsy!

i will be going to Maruti true value to find and evaluate 2nd hand Gypsies MG413 MPFI and see at what price the soft tops are available.
Congrads, Pram on your decision. Happy Gypsy hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amreshmahapatra View Post
Hi Parm,
And like me, if you get to see Jeeps in good condition, then the dilemma continues. Attaching the pics of the 540 I have identified.
Amresh, I pingged you on this. Please let me know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
Anytime Ironwolf, would be more than happy to help you out.
Will take you up on the offer.
Old 18th April 2009, 21:59   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushagr View Post
as said by Khan we do not do extreme off roading in India as yet.
Sir we do some pretty tough off roading where the vehicles and the men are tested to the limit. Some call it crazy, some curse the organiser for the event

Quote:
As done by Khan if you add all the off road goodies like front rear diff-loks, SPOA, winches etc the GYPSY takes on all terrain.
Sir, IMO if the SPOA is not factory fitted, you will loose power and traction which will negate any gain by the increase in articulation etc.

Quote:
In my opinion the bottom line very vehicle has its own character, you need to see which one matches yours.
I agree!!
Old 19th April 2009, 02:23   #44

Very Helpful thread, as I am thinking of getting an Indian "Off-Roader" as well.
But what do you guys suggest if I want to do a Mumbai-Leh-Mumbai trip with 3 of my friends and later Trace the India sort of cross country trip?? Still a Gypsy KING or a MM550?? OR will it be something else??
Old 19th April 2009, 09:20   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pole_position View Post
But what do you guys suggest if I want to do a Mumbai-Leh-Mumbai trip with 3 of my friends and later Trace the India sort of cross country trip?? Still a Gypsy KING or a MM550?? OR will it be something else??
To go to Leh, you don't need a offroader, a high GC 2WD vehicle will do.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks