Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2009, 19:45   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
Also the family relations are so strong here, that a person cannot just go against them. If a guy want to do it or vice-vesra, the spouse or the folks always have to mess it up.
LOL Brutus, just couldnt help but agree on that one!
Old 22nd April 2009, 20:05   #62
BHPian

lol, i know coz i'am stuck up just because of this.
Old 22nd April 2009, 20:43   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also the family relations are so strong here, that a person cannot just go against them. If a guy want to do it or vice-vesra, the spouse or the folks always have to mess it up.

Play them at their own game, if you want to do something or buy something tell the family all the negatives. eg if you want to buy Jeep tell them Jeeps are rubbish... Maruti Zen is best. Then watch they will be have to go against you and you will end up with a Jeep etc. Sometimes a bit of reverse psychology can be useful.
Old 22nd April 2009, 21:13   #64
BHPian

Try doing that with someone who used the same tricks on his own folks,lol.
No, its not the jeeps they're against. Its just the bashing and breakage that i do when i take things offroad, especially the poor Bolero. They see me getting dropped home every other evening coz the Bolero's stuck and the tractor can only be available the next day,lol.

There are a few ppl in CHD that do have Jeeps, and a few with winches too, but they are a very unhelpful set of ppl, so you don;t feel like going offroading with these kind of people(some of them are the same ones who were there when the Delhi jeepers came to CHD). There is someone i help twice during the middle of the night, getting his scorpio out of some really thick mess, which took me 4 hours i think, but come his time to help me out, all i got was a set of lame excuses. So all i have are ppl with tractors to help me out. For this reason i really envy you guys, enjoying the thrills of offroading with your pals. I just wish my pals over here too were fond of offroading and jeeps. Just if they were!!
Old 22nd April 2009, 21:28   #65
Senior - BHPian

So what do they do with their 4x4's ? I guess our brothers in Delhi and down south are lucky in that they have well organised communities who share and enjoy OTR's.

Maybe when you open your OTR workshop/accessories place it will provide a hub for people to link up and give impetus to OTR's in CHD. I will join you and take trip to your place.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 23rd April 2009 at 08:38.
Old 23rd April 2009, 13:03   #66
Senior - BHPian

Touchdown at new delhi airport 02:30 hrs and now im back home in NOIDA.

im here for annual leave of atleast 30 days and will be hunting down used MG413 MPFI ST in Maruti true value and other private dealers in NCR area.

also will be paying a visit to good old Mayapuri for MM 540/550 ex army.

i will be updating the thread with inputs of my hunt.

thanks again to all for their advises.

oh yes my budget is 2.5 lakhs stretchable to 3 lakhs for Gypsy OR Jeep!

Last edited by Parm : 23rd April 2009 at 13:05.
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:04   #67
BHPian

I'am sorry for whatever i posted earlier. I guess i overstepped it, and now its good that it got deleted.
Anyways, lets just leave those chaps alone, we see these kinds of ppl almost everyday, don't we?
Lol, yeh bigman, you're welcome anytime, its still in the process but there is a very high probability that it would be a reality.
Old 28th April 2009, 18:05   #68
Senior - BHPian

So finally to the BIG question: IS the Gypsy BETTER than a JEEP?
Old 28th April 2009, 18:11   #69
Senior - BHPian

param,
Just today i was going through older threads and i understand that you came across a genuine MM550 XD. The piece was looking neat and was in good condition. Why didnt you go for that?
Why Gypsy /jeep confusion all over again?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...-thread-4.html

p.s Is that MM550 still up for sale?
Old 29th April 2009, 20:57   #70
BHPian

I think if you are looking for creature comforts then you can also look at the Mahindra Bolero Invader.It sure does not have the cult status of a gypsy or MM550 but seems to me like a worthy compromise.Just what you are looking for! I dont know about the price though.
Old 30th April 2009, 00:00   #71

jeep the only one. go for jeep it got more torque and the only one to survive for the long time.you can make it however you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
the question is "to be or not to be"!

my heart is stuck on JEEP, because its classic, because its heritage, because its nostalgia, because its a cult, because its a JEEP!

my mind says GYPSY, because its petrol engine (less maintaince than diesel jeep, less noise than diesel), comes from trusted brand of Maruti, full back up service, fully functional offroader, easy maintaince, no need to built it from scrap, less visits to the workshop unlike jeep, etc

MM JEEP (Beast) says follow your heart!

MG413 (Beauty) says follow your mind!

the Beauty and the Beast are confusing me!
Attached Thumbnails
My Heart says JEEP, Mind says GYPSY!-dsc00142.jpg  

My Heart says JEEP, Mind says GYPSY!-dsc00139.jpg  

My Heart says JEEP, Mind says GYPSY!-gdesigns043.jpg  

My Heart says JEEP, Mind says GYPSY!-image022.jpg  

Old 30th April 2009, 00:48   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Touchdown at new delhi airport 02:30 hrs and now im back home in NOIDA.

oh yes my budget is 2.5 lakhs stretchable to 3 lakhs for Gypsy OR Jeep!
Welcome back in India Pram.

Vinod beat me to that question. what happened to that Pristine 550 which your brother was supposed to keep an eye on?

I bet some other Bhpian went ahead and bought it. You should not have posted it here . Civilian 550s in that condition are hard to come by.
Old 30th April 2009, 23:17   #73

How about capability?

Speaking from experience, and seven consecutive gypsies later, a gypsy is a brilliant and very well balanced machine. A few (easy to do) modifications here and there and you've got a car to die for.

A great example of the capabilities of this machine is:
In 2007 while I was on a trip to some rural areas around Pune, my 2003 Gypsy King managed to travel twenty meters through water that came up to the bonnet! This car had two inch larger mag wheels on it so the height was much more than that of a stock gypsy. My Dad was at the wheels and he despite our headlights being submerged kept his cool and kept the throttle going. We were up till our knees in water while in the car and finally managed to get out of the muddy pool.

The modifications on that gypsy were:
1. Free flow exhaust
2. K and N cone filter
3. 17 inch mag wheels

Also getting parts has been very easy and hassle free even while stranded in remote areas, so repair jobs can be expected to be done in a jiffy.

I hope this helps!
Cheers!
Old 1st May 2009, 10:45   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
param,
Just today i was going through older threads and i understand that you came across a genuine MM550 XD. The piece was looking neat and was in good condition. Why didnt you go for that?
Why Gypsy /jeep confusion all over again?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...-thread-4.html

p.s Is that MM550 still up for sale?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Welcome back in India Pram.

Vinod beat me to that question. what happened to that Pristine 550 which your brother was supposed to keep an eye on?

I bet some other Bhpian went ahead and bought it. You should not have posted it here . Civilian 550s in that condition are hard to come by.
the first thing i did after reaching NOIDA, i met and spoke to the owner of this civillian jeep and he said his cousin has taken the jeep to Chandigarh for personal use, he said at the moment no chance of selling the jeep!

today im planning to go to Maruti True value for gypsy hunt!
Old 1st May 2009, 19:21   #75
BHPian

@Brutus
I totally totally agree with you. I have wanted a jeep/Gypsy for as long as I can remember. In college the thought that the jeep has that roudy guy image to itself so my parents did not let me buy that and I ended up with a Zen. I definitely hear what you are talking.

@Parm
have fun hunting dude I hope your dream comes true

Most Viewed