Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2009, 21:45   #76
BHPian

Gypsy- A light vehicle with minimum maintenance.fill it , forget it. Recommended as a second vehicle only.

M&M - Needs bit more care & patience. Typical diesel vehicle. Loved for its low end grunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhealey View Post
A great example of the capabilities of this machine is:
In 2007 while I was on a trip to some rural areas around Pune, my 2003 Gypsy King managed to travel twenty meters through water that came up to the bonnet!
It handled Bonnet deep water w/o a snorkel? tat too when having a conical filter
seems to be a SUPERGYSPY
Old 3rd May 2009, 11:10   #77

I should have put in a statutory warning about the "Supergypsy", I think the vehicle you drive may be superior but it is actually only as good as the one that drives her!

It was as much of the 40 years of driving experience drudging through that water as the gypsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexXxentric View Post
Gypsy-
It handled Bonnet deep water w/o a snorkel? tat too when having a conical filter
seems to be a SUPERGYSPY
Thus a good way to decide whether to go for gypsy or jeep is how well you drive. I guess the driver to car to driving style ratio is definitely a dilemma I'd like senior BHP-ians to address.
Old 3rd May 2009, 15:21   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
today im planning to go to Maruti True value for gypsy hunt!
Param, the sequence of events ur going through is exactly the same as mine. Maruti true value dealers dont stock Gypsy normally. I checked all ht eplaces during my hunt. The reason is poor demand and resale value. They dont come across enthusiasts like us every time. Best is to look for a Gypsy through known circle.

My heart said jeep and mind was for Gypsy. I listened to my heart and iam really happy!!!
Old 4th May 2009, 06:52   #79
BHPian

I agree with Vinod on this, it will be difficult to find a Gypsy with True value. If you search their website you will see that there is nothing available now the website might not be up to date but that kind of gives you an idea.

A while back one of my friends was searching for a black Gypsy king in Punjab. He tried for a good 6 - 8 months to find a good one but in vein in the end he gave up and bought a scrop.

I remember seeing some pics of Gypsys for sale in Mayapuri I think it was in the Mayapuri experience thread. You might wanna peek in there and see if it can point you to some place where you can find one that you might like.
Old 6th May 2009, 21:12   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexXxentric View Post
Gypsy- A light vehicle with minimum maintenance.fill it , forget it. Recommended as a second vehicle only.
This should read "Fill it, Don't shut it, because you have to keep filling it."
Old 8th May 2009, 14:27   #81
BHPian

Vinod and Bailee are right on true value not having gypsy's.
One of my friends was working for true value and he told me that they had got one Gypsy when they had started, this gypsy was apparently with them for some 6 months before they managed to sell it (even then at a loss)

Before I managed to get my Gypsy, I had visited lots of resellers. Everyone told me that they do not deal with Gypsy's. Reasons being
1) Difficult to sell - typically no creature comforts available.
2) Finance not available.
3) Difficulty in getting spares.

Parm - try the army auction route or as Vinod suggested go through known circles. My gypsy was acquired through this route.

Best of luck

GB
Old 8th May 2009, 19:17   #82
BHPian

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2007-jeep-rubicon.jpg

If I am not wrong,in the title "jeep" means is that the one in the picture and one small doubt,is that available in india to buy ?
Old 12th May 2009, 16:15   #83
BHPian

Parm how is the hunt going buddy?

Did you see any vehicles yet? Did u get a chance to visit Mayapuri?
Old 26th May 2009, 16:37   #84
Senior - BHPian

sorry for hijacking this thread..
I've no knowledge on 4x4,can any one tell me the model name of this jeep.I really fell in love with the front grill with 9 stripes & small head lamps..
Attached Thumbnails
My Heart says JEEP, Mind says GYPSY!-2871746029_2bea24d03b.jpg  

Last edited by Ramsagar : 26th May 2009 at 16:39.
Old 27th May 2009, 11:30   #85
BHPian

Parm, hopefully the confussion is over by now and at least you make you mind for something. I am seeing you since long that you were serioully looking for a 4x4 machine and I was quite eager to know the result of your long hunt.
Old 7th June 2009, 02:32   #86

seyit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
the question is "to be or not to be"!

my heart is stuck on JEEP, because its classic, because its heritage, because its nostalgia, because its a cult, because its a JEEP!

my mind says GYPSY, because its petrol engine (less maintaince than diesel jeep, less noise than diesel), comes from trusted brand of Maruti, full back up service, fully functional offroader, easy maintaince, no need to built it from scrap, less visits to the workshop unlike jeep, etc

MM JEEP (Beast) says follow your heart!

MG413 (Beauty) says follow your mind!

the Beauty and the Beast are confusing me!
Listen to your heart; as you say Jeep is heritage,others passers by. I actually do not have much knowledge about the Indian versions (Mahindras) of Jeep,but through the sites I find out lots of similarities.I would like to state a Turkish saying which goes like this" Count the chickens in Fall,not in Spring!" So don't forget when Fall arrives Jeep will still be up and around while all the other so called four wheelers were forgotten about long before.
Old 16th August 2009, 04:17   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
sorry for hijacking this thread..
I've no knowledge on 4x4,can any one tell me the model name of this jeep.I really fell in love with the front grill with 9 stripes & small head lamps..
That is Ford GPW. A jeep from the time of WW2. There are many threads here referring about it.
Old 22nd August 2009, 22:05   #88
BANNED

Guys ,now adding more to the confusion..

Out of gypsy and MM/Jeeps ,which will be comfortable for 6ft people like me?

what about engine spares for Jeeps/MM550s ,are they available like amby ?
Old 25th August 2009, 22:01   #89
BHPian

Listen to Me

Parm,

Dont listen to your heart or your mind. Listen to me friend.

Buy a Jeep and a Gypsy from army/government disposal, restore them in stages and keep both of them.

Trust me I was in the same situation like you and this is what i did.

Jeep for your heart and Gypsy for your mind! Problem solved right?

Now get a flight ticket to delhi find a jeep and gypsy and start a new thread about your Jeep & Gypsy restoration. I am sure our NIOC members will be happy to help you with sourcing and restoration.

Jeep Captain with a Gypsy mind.
Old 26th August 2009, 02:15   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Parm,

Dont listen to your heart or your mind. Listen to me friend.

Buy a Jeep and a Gypsy from army/government disposal, restore them in stages and keep both of them.

Trust me I was in the same situation like you and this is what i did.

Jeep for your heart and Gypsy for your mind! Problem solved right?

Now get a flight ticket to delhi find a jeep and gypsy and start a new thread about your Jeep & Gypsy restoration. I am sure our NIOC members will be happy to help you with sourcing and restoration.

Jeep Captain with a Gypsy mind.
Shibu thanx a lot for the advise.

i think i will start with the Gypsy and then a year or two later restore an ex army MM550.

What you say?

anyway everything sorted out with your wrangler? let me know if you need discount on jeep parts from TE!

Parm

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks