Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2009, 05:02   #1
BHPian

Where to source NGT520 4x4 gearbox

Hi Guys,

I have recently bought a DI Turbo for my CJ3B and am looking for a NGT520 5 Speed 4x4 gearbox. Where can this be sourced from? What will be the approximate cost?

Other mods i am planning are as follows :
  • Bolero leaf springs
  • Bolero differentials
  • Power steering
  • Booster / hanging break- clutch / Front Disc breaks
  • Also planning to put in a AC unit, keeping the soft top.
Regards,

Fahad
Old 18th April 2009, 12:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepfreak View Post
Hi Guys,

I have recently bought a DI Turbo for my CJ3B and am looking for a NGT520 5 Speed 4x4 gearbox. Where can this be sourced from? What will be the approximate cost?

Other mods i am planning are as follows :
  • Bolero leaf springs
  • Bolero differentials
  • Power steering
  • Booster / hanging break- clutch / Front Disc breaks
  • Also planning to put in a AC unit, keeping the soft top.
Regards,

Fahad
hi Fahad,
theoretically all mahindra dealers can give you all above stuff but not all are willing to help readily.

ask
Behram Dhabhar (mumbai)
GTO (mumbai)
whicked wheels (pune)
Arka (chennai)

harjeev (delhi)
they have some links with mahindra.
Old 18th April 2009, 13:36   #3
BHPian

The Bolero springs are way too long to the short chassis. Why do you want ot do so, because of ride issues or for lift?
You should first do a little bit of research and find out if the longer springs would follow the new arch you would be putting them through. You would have to get them re-arched and re-tapered, so that it doesn't tend to come back to its original shape which because of the tapering from the factory it surely will try to, and that alone can cause a considerable amount to strain on the joints.
Then since the inner side of the hinging point of the springs would be further back than its original position, the axle would therefore be following a different arch then it was earlier. So now, the axle pinion shaft angle would have to be taken into cosideration and the driveshaft would be following a different angle, so you have to take care there is no obstruction to the movement of the driveshaft through its movement to and fro, when the axle moves down and up.
Also if you intend to keep the original xfercase intact, then theres no way you would be able to use the Bolero rear axle, which has a centered driveshaft input, whereas on the Dana18 box, the output is offset to the driver side.
Old 19th April 2009, 01:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

I can help you get one for 45K with an electric shift transfer case, off a 2004 bolero 4wd.
Quote:
Hi Guys,
Fahad
Old 19th April 2009, 18:33   #5
BHPian

I think you seriously have to consider if a NGT gearbox, or any other 5 speeder for that matter, would fit with a dana18 xfercase, let alone the Borg&warner into the 80" wheelbase vehicle with a substantial amount of shaft lenght left to allow a reasonable amount of articulation. I once had a SWB jeep powered with a Isuzu motor, 5 forward speeds and the isuzu combined xftercase, and we had just about 9-10" of shaft lenght left. The motor had to be lifted by a few inches and the xfercase was dropped down by a few inches to allow the driveshaft to work a little better, though it was still nowhere near how it performed with the original stock driveshaft lenght. I was not too well versed with offroading needs at the time so i never knew theres even something called articulation.
Old 20th April 2009, 09:48   #6
BHPian

@ Brutus : I agree NGT520 5 speed wont go in to a SWB, but ive got a confession here to make, this jeep was used at the farm and for all practical purposes the chassis was extended a little bit, though its not as long as CL500 but a little shorter, so i was thinking i can plonk this gearbox. Though after so many expert comments i have to reconsider this.

I have seen those Bolero leaf springs on a SWB. yes they wont be a direct fit, we need to get some extenders added on to the chassis like the ones you have in 550 in the rear . It works like dream very comfortable suspension and can weight of DI turbo much better during off-roading.

@ Joyeb : Ouch 45 k hurts .. to be honest i bought DI Turbo for 70 K and was thinking if i can get the gearbox for 25 - 30 k. this is giving some dent on my pocket + ive got some other modification to be carried out.
Old 20th April 2009, 09:54   #7
BHPian

@ Brutus : I agree NGT520 5 speed wont go in to a SWB, but ive got a confession here to make, this jeep was used at the farm and for all practical purposes the chassis was extended a little bit, though its not as long as CL500 but a little shorter, so i was thinking i can plonk this gearbox. Though after so many expert comments i have to reconsider this.

I have seen those Bolero leaf springs on a SWB. yes they wont be a direct fit, we need to get some extenders added on to the chassis like the ones you have in 550 in the rear . It works like dream very comfortable suspension and can weight of DI turbo much better during off-roading.

@ Joyeb : Ouch 45 k hurts .. to be honest i bought DI Turbo for 70 K and was thinking if i can get the gearbox for 25 - 30 k. this is giving some dent on my pocket + ive got some other modification to be carried out.
Old 20th April 2009, 14:32   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

WHY DO YOU WANT TO DO ALL THIS? PLEASE REPLY.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 20th April 2009, 17:11   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Very unlikely that you will get the 5-Speed BA10 with transfer case for this price in the south. These are very hard to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Mr. Behram, I think the reason is that Mahindra doesn't offer a decent recreational 4WD yet and people would rather go through the head ache of investing in a good Classic/C_340/mm540 than buy an Invader
Old 21st April 2009, 01:09   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Behram Sir,
This Jeep is in the family since 70's and have some good old memories, I know it sounds crazy going in for so many mods in this jeep, but want to give the best to this jeep. I have another Jeep Cj4a since that is in much better condition, i have started neglecting this Jeep. Since this Cj3b is my dad's favorite i am doing this jeep for my dad, so money and time is not a constraint. In fact that's the only reason i am considering AC in this jeep.

Reason why bolero springs is considered : This jeep is still used in the farm so has to go through a lot off roading during the sowing/harvest season. DI is pretty heavy and don't want to get stranded in the middle of no where, I am sure the Bolero leaf springs can with stand the weight of this engine, somehow feel the old leaf springs would not be able to take the beating.

Reason why 5-Speed gearbox is considered: The farm is almost 80 Km oneway, want a smooth drive all along. So was considering a 5-Speed, looks like its not possible now.

Regards,

Fahad
Old 21st April 2009, 02:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Very unlikely that you will get the 5-Speed BA10 with transfer case for this price in the south. These are very hard to find.
I know not down south but 5 speed BA10 are available in Mayapuri for 25K. My dad was offered a few of these when he went to get an XD3P but thought it was too much as the existing 4 speed box was ok. I guess you could haggle and get a bit cheaper but you will need to transport it back down south.

Last edited by bigman : 21st April 2009 at 02:47.
Old 21st April 2009, 03:21   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
I know not down south but 5 speed BA10 are available in Mayapuri for 25K. My dad was offered a few of these when he went to get an XD3P but thought it was too much as the existing 4 speed box was ok. I guess you could haggle and get a bit cheaper but you will need to transport it back down south.
Thanks Bigman, Transportation is not an issue since the work in the jeep is going on in bhopal. I have to ask my mechanic to make a trip to mayapuri and if he can find one in this range he can get one. Also im still in Dire Straits over whether this gearbox (5-speed 4x4) will fit in or not.
Someone just told me that someone has done a similar setup (DI Turbo + 5 Speed 4x4 Gbox) in a Kaiser jeep (SWB). Since my jeep is definetly longer than a Kaiser. Now all i am worried is about the reliability, The rear shaft must be really short, would it be able to take off-road beating.
Old 21st April 2009, 04:54   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Mayapuri seems to be the place to go for second hand parts. Was the 5-Speeds offered with the 4WD t-case? I have come across many of the 2WD gearboxes but not the 4WD version.
Old 21st April 2009, 09:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

5 speed BA10's are only between 18K and 24K down south. It is the 5 speed gearboxes with the Borg Warner transfer case that are extremely difficult to find.
Old 21st April 2009, 10:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

4x4addict,

Yes they included the 4WD t-case. I thought these were quite hard to come by but my dad tells me that they were offered these by several traders in Mayapuri.

Most Viewed