Team-BHP - Mechanic's Labour charges for various repairing job of Jeep and Gypsy..
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Mechanic's Labour charges for various repairing job of Jeep and Gypsy.. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/57275-mechanics-labour-charges-various-repairing-job-jeep-gypsy.html)

As a fact, most of the jeeps are being repaired at the local workshops where they do not have any list of labour charges and thus usally you are not aware if they are charging as per the market rate or not unless you have not done the similar job done through any other machanic.

I opening this thread so we can share the charges that we pay to the machanic so we can better generalize if we are paying the right amount.

I am starting this with one of example. I had some problem with the 4x4 transfer case (with two lever) of my MM540 so I got this overhauled before two weeks and paid Rs. 900 for labour charges.

good thread , we need this to avoid getting cheated...i will list the prices i paid or we pay in chennai. Lets see...:-)

The most reasonable and cheapest labour rates for a very nicely done work i have ever got done is in Shri Ganganagar in Rajasthan. I don't think anything beats the rates and work of that place. It's a true jeep market

The clutch plate and pressure plate of my MM540 need to be changed, the machanic is asking for Rs. 900 for this job which seems me too much. Pls advice your openion.

In CDH itself, i got the finger springs of the hurricane motor's clutch changed, and i was charged 400bucks for labour, but that was last year. Since it too involved dismounting the transmission the the bellhousing to get to the clutch, i see no difference between the two. If you can go to Ganganager, i can get you the number and quote of the mechanic there. Besides, there is this shop there which belongs to a Mahindra parts distributer in Rajasthan( ithink he's got a shop in Jaipur too), so parts are no problemo. I recently got an oil pump for the older hurricane model and a prestolite distributer for the same motor from there.

MM550 - complete mechanical overhaul including engine rebuild, brakes, gearbox, xfer case, shockers etc etc and he supplied and fitted a saginaw type power steering setup.

Cost RS10,000 inc the cost of the ps box. Also he spent a day with my dad in Mayapuri looking for a new xd3p head/engine and made numerous visits to other suppliers with my dad.

Paid for all the bits and pieces ourselves but considering some folks on here have paid 7/8 thousand for supply and fitting of jusyt power steering I dont think he was too expensive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigman (Post 1273792)
MM550 - complete mechanical overhaul including engine rebuild, brakes, gearbox, xfer case, shockers etc etc and he supplied and fitted a saginaw type power steering setup.

Cost RS10,000 inc the cost of the ps box. Also he spent a day with my dad in Mayapuri looking for a new xd3p head/engine and made numerous visits to other suppliers with my dad.

Paid for all the bits and pieces ourselves but considering some folks on here have paid 7/8 thousand for supply and fitting of jusyt power steering I dont think he was too expensive.

what power steering box

It was the usual Koyo ps setup (saginaw type) found on a few jeeps on this forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertKing (Post 1273745)
The clutch plate and pressure plate of my MM540 need to be changed, the machanic is asking for Rs. 900 for this job which seems me too much. Pls advice your openion.

That is cheap in my opinion and quite sad too. Our country is not going to improve if no one is willing to pay for a mans labour.

Dignity of labour fellows!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertKing (Post 1273745)

How does this compare with Mahindra's std dealer rate? If its 4x4 there will be little more work involved with the TC and front prop removal. You also have to factor in quality of work and facilities/tools etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motocamp (Post 1277275)
That is cheap in my opinion and quite sad too. Our country is not going to improve if no one is willing to pay for a mans labour.

I see you play on the other side of the net, but this is about business not charity. Even if we pay more the money is going to end up in the owner's pocket anyway.

I was thinking of getting rid of the hard top cover and the rear seats of my gypsy and getting one of those canvas covers for the front two seats. Any advice where to get it done in Delhi and how much it will cost ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by motocamp (Post 1277275)

Hello Moto,

I am so fed up with the local machanics as most of them do not have proper knowledge and on above to it, they think they are the best. I mean they are not willing to learn. They can start argueing with you with illogical things.

What I have learned from my experience that if you blindly trust the machanic, you are going to end up with a lot of mess and money wested on real stupid thing :deadhorse. Also they are not systematic, they do not priotrize their own job and they themselves takes work so lightly.

Moreover if we will pay them more, they are not going to change. If you will see the other thread on Jeep/Gypsy you can see, people are how well attached to their vehicles and I am damn sure they would not mind paying more if the machanic is working in a professional manner and has good knowledge.

I am sure you have not gone throught any restoration project otherwise you would have got alltogether a different openion about machanics.