Team-BHP - Need Advice on Land Rover Discovery
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Need Advice on Land Rover Discovery (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/57940-need-advice-land-rover-discovery.html)

Hello people,

I have come across a Land Rover Discovery for sale, manufactured in 1993. The car originally had the Rover V8 petrol engine but now has a Nissan 3 lt diesel plonked into it.
Now, sadly this engine has not been put in very neatly. It has kind of been forced inside and looks skewed at all angles. Seen from the top and front it is neither at right angles nor vertical, as I presume it should be. The gear box is also not the original 4WD but a different 2WD, I don't know which. The owner says that the car seems underpowered and labours a lot under A/C strain and while climbing.
However, the original gear box that came with the V8 is also lying around and is available with the car (as dowry).
Now my questions are:
1. Is it possible to mate the Nissan diesel with the V8 4WD gearbox?
2. Could the underpowered feel of the car be due to the difference in revs of a petrol engine gearbox mated to a diesel engine? I mean I am just shooting in the dark here, don't know much about these things.
3. If the answer to 1. is no, then would it be possible to put in any other engine/gearbox in to the car, possibly a Prado engine/Prado gearbox. And would the car run satisfactorily with it? It weighs a humongous 2700 kgs (even after they used a lot of aluminum panels to keep down the weight).
4. What approximately would be the cost implications of the above discussed points? I shall be taking an active interest in the process. I have not worked on cars too much before but am fairly proficient around machines and workshops and its an inner joy for my father and I to be tinkering with objects mechanical.
5. Are there any more points of consideration/concern that I should think about or be aware of. I know the car is not street legal in Delhi and I shall have to get it registered outside of Delhi.

My request to all the answering esteemed members is to please explain their opinions in simple layman language (just consider me stupid) but too much of technical jargon goes beyond me.

I am thankful for all the answers, and thankful for all the people who will devote their own time to answer my questions.

Cheers.

some images will be a lot of help.

Unfortunately, Sir Alec, It is not very convenient for me to make repeated visits to the owner's place. He didn't seem to be an overly friendly person. So Words are all I have..

What about the papers? Are they in order. You cant swap engines that easily now. Getting the change in numbers endorsed on the RC would be a pain.

How much is he quoting for the vehicle in the present condition?

Quote:

He didn't seem to be an overly friendly person.
Further dealings with such people especially when the car is not in the best of shapes would be a bigger pain. You will need to get a lot of background information as lot of original parts will be missing and you will have to ask the previous owner a lot of questions.

Spitfire,
He is quoting 1.5l at present. I hope to bargain him down to 1. I forgot to mention the windshield is cracked.
As far as the back ground of the car is concerned i am taking this case on a 'as is where is' basis and taking everything on a worst case scenario. So that if anything works it would seem like a boon. Let me put it this way , what would be a good cost for a discovery chassis in good condition with a body on top. Steering wheel and wheels and seats thrown in for good measure

Run, the Discovery was not well made until Ford took over and from what you describe, it sounds quite shoddy

Ajmat is right, the Discoveru used to have a reputation for poor build quality and reliability. I would avoid this one as it sounds like more hassle than its worth.

This will become a bottomless money pit. If it were the Defender I would have said go ahead. The Discovery doesn't even have the legacy of the Defender so please stay away from this botched up job unless you have loads of cash which you like to burn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 1288375)
This will become a bottomless money pit. If it were the Defender I would have said go ahead. The Discovery doesn't even have the legacy of the Defender so please stay away from this botched up job unless you have loads of cash which you like to burn.

now that you mention it. are there any defenders for sale in india from owners who dont want the sun and the moon and my bottom alongwith for it. This quest of mine actually started with a defender and has now taken the present turn, damn! i now even envision myself looking for a range rover next.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyer_made (Post 1288196)
Unfortunately, Sir Alec, It is not very convenient for me to make repeated visits to the owner's place. He didn't seem to be an overly friendly person. So Words are all I have..

You have your answer right there in your own text!! and its a Big No.!
Why? because
1. its a first generation discovery. easily avoidable even if you have been offered a vehicle with zero mileage.

2. This one had all time 4wd. so how he mated a nissan diesel with it is a grave mystery.

3. most important, seller is not friendly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirAlec (Post 1288607)
2. This one had all time 4wd. so how he mated a nissan diesel with it is a grave mystery.

I think he changed out the gearbox as well when converting it to 2WD so it probably doesn't have the AWD/central diff any more.

Good to see another Landrover fan, I always wanted to buy a Discovery and when I went to the auction all the Discoverys in the yard were leaking oil so I changed my mind and bought what the land of the rising sun had to offer. BUT I still hope to buy a Defender 90 or a Discovery series 2 when I can afford one.

Coming to the reliability issues, yes more goes wrong with old British cars than Jap vehicles of the mid 90s but Discos and Rangies were built well at least where the vital components are concerned. It has a rock solid chassis, great differentials and plenty of suspension articulation. Even their TDi and TD5 Diesel engines were great, I mean people went around the world with these cars.
The 3.5 V8s in the early Discoverys weren’t too good with valve leakage and big-end bearing problems but I think they improved quality with the 3.9ltr which came in 94-95, however all Landrover’s petrol engines were guzzlers without and underpowered for their size.
Other problems include oil leaks, dodgy electricals, and tacky interiors. To be honest with you I’ve driven heaps of Discoveries and absolutely loved them, they feel like a boat on the road but are very capable off it. Landrover owners recon the oil leaks is because of average seal quality made of colder climates, and once replaced they don’t usually leak. Bottom line is – They are great vehicles if you look after them. Anyone with a Royal Enfield Bullet will know what I’m talking about. Its called a love-hate relationship.

I always wanted a Landrover and the Discovery 2 looks tempting with its masterpiece of an engine and incredible suspension articulation. But I do like the nimbleness of my small..er Pajero and won’t mind going short wheel base next unless I get a wife & kids anytime soon. So what I’ll be looking at next is either a SWB Pajero or Defender 90.

What you do with this Discovery is totally your decision, but if I were in your place I’d let it go. People in India think they are sitting on a gold mine if they have the rusted remains of any “imported” car. The forte of the Discovery is its off-road ability and without 4WD & low-range your better off buying a Tempo Traveller. The Landrover V8s have a weird bell-housing bolt pattern and are difficult to mate with other engines. If I’m not wrong the Nissan motor came out of a Navara or Nomad and you can get a Nissan Transmission to bolt on to it but again you’ll need to custom make tail shafts, mounts and everything else which will prove to be too much trouble. If you really want to buy this Discovery it might pay to ask a local Mech if a Jonga transmission would fit. Saying that, if you want a BIG 4WD that goes anywhere & is saturated with heritage I think you should get a Jonga – Nissan G60

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyer_made (Post 1287849)
Hello people,

I have come across a Land Rover Discovery for sale, manufactured in 1993. The car originally had the Rover V8 petrol engine but now has a Nissan 3 lt diesel plonked into it.
Now, sadly this engine has not been put in very neatly. It has kind of been forced inside and looks skewed at all angles. Seen from the top and front it is neither at right angles nor vertical, as I presume it should be. The gear box is also not the original 4WD but a different 2WD, I don't know which. The owner says that the car seems underpowered and labours a lot under A/C strain and while climbing.
However, the original gear box that came with the V8 is also lying around and is available with the car (as dowry).
Now my questions are:
1. Is it possible to mate the Nissan diesel with the V8 4WD gearbox?
2. Could the underpowered feel of the car be due to the difference in revs of a petrol engine gearbox mated to a diesel engine? I mean I am just shooting in the dark here, don't know much about these things.
3. If the answer to 1. is no, then would it be possible to put in any other engine/gearbox in to the car, possibly a Prado engine/Prado gearbox. And would the car run satisfactorily with it? It weighs a humongous 2700 kgs (even after they used a lot of aluminum panels to keep down the weight).
4. What approximately would be the cost implications of the above discussed points? I shall be taking an active interest in the process. I have not worked on cars too much before but am fairly proficient around machines and workshops and its an inner joy for my father and I to be tinkering with objects mechanical.
5. Are there any more points of consideration/concern that I should think about or be aware of. I know the car is not street legal in Delhi and I shall have to get it registered outside of Delhi.

My request to all the answering esteemed members is to please explain their opinions in simple layman language (just consider me stupid) but too much of technical jargon goes beyond me.

I am thankful for all the answers, and thankful for all the people who will devote their own time to answer my questions.

Cheers.

Stay away from Land Rover Disco.That model was nothing but a money pit