Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2011, 11:06   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Pik-up 4x4 = Brand new MM540 4x4with front disc brakes & 63HPDI Turbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrut View Post
Very interesting development ! , Infact i wonder now if anyone would buy a mahindra pickup 4x4 Buy New Mahindra Maxx Pick-Up Chassis in Mumbai, Get New Car Prices and turn it into a good looking offroader
Hmm, the 3150mm wheelbase will not allow any serious offroading.
Old 14th July 2011, 12:29   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Pik-up 4x4 = Brand new MM540 4x4with front disc brakes & 63HPDI Turbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Both the M&M pickup and the Bolero Camper can be ordered with 4x4 drive. Both have power disc brakes and the newer chassis and front end. They have the Bolero MDI3200tc motor which is only rated at 63hp but has 20% more torque at low speed than the MM540's XD3P, very good low end grunt. In India both vehicles are only sold with the 4spd gearbox. The Bolero Camper is about 5.6 lakh, the slightly narrower, cruder pickup is about 5L. The pickup can be ordered without the bed for customization. The Camper has 15 inch wheels, a cross member, running boards and a cat converter that hang down. These you might want to change. The pickup has 16 inch wheels with a little better unobstructed G.C. The camper especially but also the pickup have rear over hang. You could lop a full meter off the back end of the Camper at the shackles and Khan Sultan would smile in his sleep if you did.

Both vehicles are BSIII whereas the Major is BSII making it unavailable for sale in many areas, correct me if I am wrong, and the Major has other issues which you will find on the Major thread.

The problem with both as far as pure off roading goes is their long wheel base. In the South these would not make ideal slush runners. In the North in the mountains the long wheel base makes for a better ride and better hill climbing. The Camper is used extensively by the hydroelectric technicians in the Himalayas to get up the slopes to their dams, pipelines. generators and herbal crops. I have driven both and despite some pictures of excursions in this forum which make them look enormous compared to MM540s, I have found them both nimble, easy to steer and fun to drive, much smaller and easier than my Ganesh Tata Spacio.

The Camper has room in the cabin for a/c, heater, radio etc. Both vehicles are crudely finished. But that could be considered a plus for hard use. The seats are absolutely deplorable but easily replaced. Parts and mechanics to work on them are abundant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hmm, the 3150mm wheelbase will not allow any serious offroading.
A pickup might be the base for a good long range trekker. You would simply avoid driving over/thru the stuff that hangs you up. Lots of room for the extra gear and fuel you need. You would also have to address the 3:73 diff ratios which are now stock.

The Thar CRDe with its powerful engine, heater, power steering, 4:30 diff ratio, is a pretty good base for a long range trekker, too. Yeah, you have to be careful of the IFS.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks