Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2009, 11:46   #16
BHPian

In Bangalore - I see a lot of these with white boards - so I think that's possible. I saw one in the morning on the way to office - not a 4x4 though.

Last edited by Irfanulla : 15th May 2009 at 11:48.
Old 16th May 2009, 00:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Both the M&M pickup and the Bolero Camper can be ordered with 4x4 drive. Both have power disc brakes and the newer chassis and front end. They have the Bolero MDI3200tc motor which is only rated at 63hp but has 20% more torque at low speed than the MM540's XD3P, very good low end grunt. In India both vehicles are only sold with the 4spd gearbox. The Bolero Camper is about 5.6 lakh, the slightly narrower, cruder pickup is about 5L. The pickup can be ordered without the bed for customization. The Camper has 15 inch wheels, a cross member, running boards and a cat converter that hang down. These you might want to change. The pickup has 16 inch wheels with a little better unobstructed G.C. The camper especially but also the pickup have rear over hang. You could lop a full meter off the back end of the Camper at the shackles and Khan Sultan would smile in his sleep if you did.

Both vehicles are BSIII whereas the Major is BSII making it unavailable for sale in many areas, correct me if I am wrong, and the Major has other issues which you will find on the Major thread.

The problem with both as far as pure off roading goes is their long wheel base. In the South these would not make ideal slush runners. In the North in the mountains the long wheel base makes for a better ride and better hill climbing. The Camper is used extensively by the hydroelectric technicians in the Himalayas to get up the slopes to their dams, pipelines. generators and herbal crops. I have driven both and despite some pictures of excursions in this forum which make them look enormous compared to MM540s, I have found them both nimble, easy to steer and fun to drive, much smaller and easier than my Ganesh Tata Spacio.

The Camper has room in the cabin for a/c, heater, radio etc. Both vehicles are crudely finished. But that could be considered a plus for hard use. The seats are absolutely deplorable but easily replaced. Parts and mechanics to work on them are abundant.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 16th May 2009 at 00:47.
Old 16th May 2009, 15:33   #18
BHPian

Both the camper and the pik up has 15 inch rims with 7.00x 15 radials as standard fitment. None of them have 16 inch wheels, as far as I know.I totally concede to the view that the MDI3200TC is better for off roading than the IDI XD3P, for it's low end grunt and more robust build .
Old 16th May 2009, 18:35   #19
BHPian

vinod nookala- kandisa is talking about my vehicle[the4wd camper, which i got private registered in kerala]right now its in cochin with tvs,getting an a/c and power steering company fitted,will surely put the pics soon
Old 16th May 2009, 19:38   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desigNation View Post
vinod nookala- kandisa is talking about my vehicle[the4wd camper, which i got private registered in kerala]right now its in cochin with tvs,getting an a/c and power steering company fitted,will surely put the pics soon
I recall talking to you a couple of months back? How did you manage the pvt registration? Glad it worked out. I was kind of planning on the xenon but if you can the 4WD Bolero with pvt registration it definitely sounds like a good option.
Old 17th May 2009, 10:05   #21
BHPian

4x4addict-i got a court order from high court,it took me 1 whole year, the case was against the r t o,i can send you the copy of the court order if you want me to.
desigNation is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2009, 16:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
Both the camper and the pik up has 15 inch rims with 7.00x 15 radials as standard fitment. None of them have 16 inch wheels, as far as I know.
Yeah, I messed up. SOme campers have 235/15s. Dunno if they came from the factory like that.
Old 17th May 2009, 16:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Yeah, I messed up. SOme campers have 235/15s. Dunno if they came from the factory like that.
That is a factory option.
Old 17th May 2009, 21:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4x4addict-i got a court order from high court,it took me 1 whole year, the case was against the r t o,i can send you the copy of the court order if you want me to.
Man you should start a new thread on the entire episode. I am sure this is one of its kind!
Old 5th July 2011, 12:20   #25
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Pik-up 4x4 = Brand new MM540 4x4with front disc brakes & 63HPDI Turbo?

Quote:
I am planning to register a TL with crew cab in kerala can you pl. send me the copy of the court order?
Old 5th July 2011, 15:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Pik-up 4x4 = Brand new MM540 4x4with front disc brakes & 63HPDI Turbo?

Quote:

please mail the court order to me too.
Old 5th July 2011, 23:48   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
please mail the court order to me too.
Nikhil,
do you think the court order from Kerala will work in Maharashtra?
Actually the price point of the Camper is pretty tempting.
regards
salil
Old 13th July 2011, 19:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scphanse View Post
Nikhil,
do you think the court order from Kerala will work in Maharashtra?
Actually the price point of the Camper is pretty tempting.
regards
salil
Yes you can use the Kerala court order as a bench mark to get the appropriate/eqal order in any state, it should work
aravind BS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 21:16   #29
BHPian

Very interesting development ! , Infact i wonder now if anyone would buy a mahindra pickup 4x4 Buy New Mahindra Maxx Pick-Up Chassis in Mumbai, Get New Car Prices and turn it into a good looking offroader
Old 14th July 2011, 10:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

Since this thread began there has been some new developments.

1.) There is a Thar Di now on the market...also Thar CRDe.

2.) Bolero Camper now has a 5 speed synchronized tranny.

3.) And, up here in H.P. there is a new Mahindra pickup that has the Bolero sheet
metal front end but a long bed...sort of a Bolero Camper without the rear seat, a
long bed instead. I do not know if there is a 4x4 version of this.

There are probably some other changes as well....?

Last edited by DirtyDan : 14th July 2011 at 10:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks